Patient Comments: Bumps And Bruises - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bumps and bruises?

Comment from: anonymous1, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

About six months ago my ex-boyfriend attempted to push me and severely beat my arm severely. After a few hours, a bruise started to show. It was a combination of blue, black, green, purple, and red, and was very tender. It didn't go away for months. It just started to fade. Today the area hurt and was followed by pain in my hand and neck. Is there a possibility something else may be wrong now? I never went to the doctor; I just let it go away by itself because I was too ashamed.

Comment from: ally, 65-74 (Patient) Published: December 27

I have been astonished by the dual effect of aging and warfarin. My INR is between 2 and 3 regularly, but an injury caused by a bad knock and scrape on the shin turned into a hematoma, and a week later it is still angry and very painful. The pain occurs on standing, and it's enough to make me stop at once and raise the leg to alleviate it. This is bad, a lot worse than the pain from my heart surgery! What is puzzling is that as the leg gets back to normal, and the contusion itself starts to look like its healing, the pain does not diminish. When sitting or lying with the leg up, it's ok. As soon as I stand, it's excruciating. I think there is nothing to do but wait, and if you are on warfarin, your choice of pain relief is very limited. Its basically down to codeine if you want something effective and safe.

Comment from: ahmed, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 18

1. clean the area affected 2. apply cold compress with ice pack 3. if the skin is broken clean with antiseptic and dress the wound 4 if the skin is broken, doctor should give tetanus toxoid and antibiotic 5 apply tcp to the affected area and reassure the patient

Comment from: Erica, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

Arnica cream worked great for me! It sounds as if this cream is similar to one mentioned in another post. I read that vitamin K cream works too, but I have not tried it myself.

Comment from: Beck, Female Published: May 12

I bruise very easily and usually end up with a good sized bruise as well. I found something that works for me. It's a gel in a tube called Bruise Relief. I've now used it several times on myself and on my husband and can't believe how well it works. If I put it on right away, I get no bruise at all. I'm really happy about that, especially now in the summer when I don't want to walk around with a big ugly bruise. I tried other things like vinegar but they didn't work as well. Plus, it's all-natural.

Comment from: David, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 30

Yesterday I stepped up from my yard onto the edge of my driveway, about 18", and when I went to put my foot down I felt a pop in the bottom of my foot, followed by severe pain. The pain has not really diminished over the last 24-36 hours, but tonight I noticed that I have what appears to look like a bruise forming in the arch area of my foot. It seemed to not hurt as bad today when I was wearing tennis shoes, instead of my work boots, or flip flops.

Comment from: tee, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I tripped going up the stairs and really whacked the top of my foot on the bare cement step. The top of my foot is swollen, bruised, and tender. I applied ice to it when it first happened about 5 hours ago. I don't think it is broken because it's not unbearable to walk on.

Comment from: Bexylou, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 31

My husband was in an accident and the steering wheel pinched his upper leg and now has a huge bruise and big knot on his leg. This happened last week. The bruise is getting lighter but the knot is still there and yesterday there is some bruising showing up in his lower leg and foot.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 15

I often get bruises on my upper leg area only front and back. However, sometimes I have no memory of bumping into anything which is usually the case. Sometimes the bruises are formational, and side by side in double rows which is odd for me.

Bruises - Frequency Question: Do you get bruises more frequently than others? Do you know why (disease, condition, medication related)?
Bruises - Slow Healing Question: Do you bruise easily and are they slow to heal? Please share your experience and concerns.