Patient Comments: Bruises - Frequency

Do you get bruises more frequently than others? Do you know why (disease, condition, medication related)?

Comment from: daisiescan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have always bruised easily, but I have always bumped the area so I knew there would be a bruise on its way soon. But in the last few months I have been waking up in the morning with multiple bruising everywhere on legs and arms. Sometimes small as the tip of my finger or sometimes as big as my entire hand. I have also woken up to my legs from knees down, all red with welt like bumps in center of redness. After two days the swelling and welts left, turning them into bruises. I woke up the other morning with very sore ribs, a few days later a bruise did appear on my ribs. I have no clue what this can be caused from, I have gone to the doctor, who sent me for one set of basic blood test which has shown nothing irregular. He says it's nothing and that some people just bruise easier than others. I would accept this but this has just progressed worse in the last couple of months.

Comment from: chez, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I have a different issue, not that it is a problem but perhaps just unusual but I just never bruise. I have had various accidents such as the normal falls, knocks and bangs over the years and although medical staff warned after x-rays showed no breaks to my shins following a car accident, I had deep dents in my shins and swelling (still got indents 35 years later). When a couple of years ago I fell and broke my wrist I thought that I would have severe bruising, but I have never actually had a visible bruise. This has always been a standing joke in my family, but I have always felt that if I ever got attacked or assaulted no one would actually believe me as I wouldn't have any marks to show. Thankfully at 54 I haven't had to worry about it but I wonder why I don't bruise. I am average weight, strong and have no health issues.

Comment from: sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I get bruises very easily, there is perhaps a shortage in my diet.

Comment from: shawn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have been off of coumadin for over six weeks. I had a knee replacement. My question to you is I am brusing a lot more now.

Comment from: Discouraged, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I have been noticed bruising for the past three months, more so on the extremities, without cause or injury. I also have a few patches of scattered petechiae on my abdomen as well. I am concerned, as I live alone, but recently learned that my son, daughter-in-law, daughter, mother, and father are noticing bruising without cause as well. I am an RN and am well aware that this is not normal. Is there a virus, fungus, or bacteria that is contagious causing blood vessels to erupt without injury? I am very concerned.

Bumps And Bruises - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bumps and bruises?
Bruises - Slow Healing Question: Do you bruise easily and are they slow to heal? Please share your experience and concerns.