Patient Comments: Brucellosis - Symptoms

What brucellosis signs and symptoms did you experience?

Comment from: SilverOnyx, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

This will be lengthy. As my case is unique, the details need to be included. Some of my first memories are of being on dad's family farm with his parents. In the winter, I'd be bundled up when I went to watch grandpa chop ice in the ponds so the cattle could drink. As I aged, my duties increased and so did my exposure to bodily fluids. We lost two herds to Bang's disease. No one told us that humans could get it. In 1978 at 4 years of age, my chronic health problems began. I was admitted to the hospital with staph pneumonia and a fever of 106. To bring the fever down, a nurse and orderly came into the room with several large buckets of ice. I was placed on a sheet, stripped, and buckets of ice were poured over my body. The sheet was folded around my body to keep the ice in. It was a brutal and torturous thing to do to a small, very sick, frightened child. Lab work wasn't done, but I believe this was my primary outbreak of Bang's. I lived a mostly full, adventurous, physical life despite chronic illness until October 2003. I worked full time, remodeled and cared for my home, and was a single caregiver of my disabled husband. I tried to get up one morning and my knees hurt too bad to function. I have been diagnosed with so many problems -- CFIDS, IBS, bursitis, mono. I called in sick to work, took ibuprofen, iced my knees, and thought it would heal on its own. Boy, was I wrong! The pain spread. I was exhausted. I never felt rested no matter how much I slept. I started having nightmares about being tortured. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia.

Brucellosis - Experience Question: Do you live in a region at high risk for brucellosis? Please describe your experience.