Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Bronchitis is an inflammation of the bronchial tubes, or airways that lead to the lungs. Acute bronchitis is sometimes referred to as a chest cold and can be caused by several types of viruses. Bacterial infections can also cause acute bronchitis. Symptoms include shortness of breath, cough, chest pain, chest soreness, sore throat, watery eyes, fatigue, mild headache, chills, and body aches. Fever may be present. The cough may bring up sputum, known as a productive cough.
Chronic bronchitis is bronchitis that lasts a long time and is most common in smokers. The main symptoms of chronic bronchitis are cough, difficulty breathing (dyspnea), and wheezing.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/5/2013
United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Bronchitis (Chest Cold)." Sept. 30, 2013. <http://www.cdc.gov/getsmart/antibiotic-use/uri/bronchitis.html>.
Main Article on Bronchitis Symptoms and Signs
Chronic bronchitis is a cough that occurs daily with production of sputum that lasts for at least three months, two years in a...learn more »
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Bronchitis Symptoms and Signs
Examples of Medications for Bronchitis Symptoms and Signs
- albuterol, Ventolin, Proventil, Proventil-HFA, AccuNeb, Vospire, ProAir
- beclomethasone hfa inhaler - oral, Qvar
- budesonide inhaler, Pulmicort Turbuhaler, Pulmicort Respules
- fluticasone and salmeterol oral inhaler, Advair Diskus, Advair HFA
- fluticasone propionate oral inhaler, Flovent (Discontinued), Flovent Diskus, Flovent HFA
- formoterol powder in capsule - oral inhalation, Foradil
- loratadine and pseudoephedrine (Alavert Allergy & Sinus, Claritin-D, Claritin-D 24 hour)
- methylprednisolone, Medrol, Depo-Medrol, Solu-Medrol
- mometasone, Elocon
- prednisone, Deltasone, Liquid Pred
- salmeterol, Serevent
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List