Patient Comments: Acute Bronchitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with acute bronchitis.

Comment from: glamirand, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had an upper respiratory episode (with persistent cough) in April, which was treated and went away. The 3rd week of July I developed bronchitis problems again. This time, coughing (severe at times) producing mucus, upper respiratory and chest congestion; no fever. The mucus and cough have continued and this is October 7. I have seen my primary, ENT, and pulmonology specialist. I have had x-ray, mucus infection test (negative), nebulizer treatment, and inhalers. The symptoms seem to improve some, but will not go away. I have a breathing test this week. I am on Singulair, Mucinex, nasal spray, Equate, Delsym, and other medicines. My dermatologist took me off Otezla (for psoriasis) as it sometimes causes these side effects. I have seen a small change in symptoms but still going on. Honestly, I do not know what is wrong with me and apparently neither do my doctors. I will have to see how the breathing test and absence of Otezla goes.

Comment from: Colimixin, Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I get acute bronchitis when the flu is going around or whatever is going around. I always end up with bronchitis. This time it was brought on with inhaling (not on purpose) propane in a warehouse. My chest felt heavy like I needed an inhaler. The next couple of days I wasn't feeling well. I felt tired and was coughing. No temperature, a slight sore throat.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I started out with a sore throat, then the dry coughing. I saw my doctor first week, and went on antibiotics. Second week I went to see my doctor as I had a lot of fluid behind my ears. Third week I was feeling a little better, then I started going downhill again. I went to a walk in clinic found out I had bronchitis and an ear infection. He gave me 2 different type of puffers, and eardrops. Fourth week I was feeling worse. I made another trip to my doctor, where she said I had acute bronchitis and put me on prednisone. But I cannot seem to get rid of this cough and it is very nerve wracking to say the least. I am tired all the time because I can't sleep, and I have missed 2 weeks plus of work. I just want my life back. I drink lots of water and tea. I have found actually that nothing over the counter has helped me and neither does it seem, have the prescriptions from the doctor. Thanks for listening, no I am not much help to anyone, but this is what I have gone through.

Comment from: Rod, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

I started out with a slight runny nose and thought it was allergies or sinus. This continued for a week and slowly started to feel like my lungs were being affected. I then started to experience a dry cough which continued to get worse daily and sleep was out of the question. I resorted to sitting up in a chair and trying to sleep. I am unable to get any mucus up and coughing is severe. I went to the doctor and took a breathing treatment along with getting prescriptions for a Z-Pak and inhaler for bronchitis. I have coughed so much my stomach and side muscles are extremely sore.

Comment from: Dave1246, Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I have almost constant, violent coughing with wheezing or rattling in my chest. I cough so hard to get the mucous up but it wears me down trying. I am on 4 medicines including an inhaler, Z-Pak, prednisone and cough syrup. I can"t sleep. This bronchitis really wears you down and I"m only into day 3. I am not a smoker but very high pollen counts here in Charleston, South Carolina. I am hoping for a little rain to clear the air. I hope this helps someone who has this. Get up as much as you can. Drink a lot of fluids. Hot tea with a little lemon and honey seems to help.

Comment from: Patrick, Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I came down with bronchitis two weeks ago. I have been given an injection of prednisone, a five day dose by mouth of prednisone, numerous treatments of albuterol and two 5 mg doses of prednisone in an emergency room on Friday. I am still ill.

Comment from: Snowy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My acute bronchitis started with a sudden onset of sore throat, difficulty in swallowing and just feeling punky. The annoying coughing soon followed while everything else continued, with a low grade fever too. By day 4 to 5 a visit to the doctors was needed to rule out strep throat. I continued with treatment for each symptom. The barking cough with phlegm, was going nowhere but the painful sore throat did subside after about 7 days. Getting sleep at night was number one priority. With cough medicine, cough suppressant, inhalers and lozenges, slowly improvement is seen.

Acute Bronchitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with acute bronchitis, and how long did they last?
Acute Bronchitis - Treatments Question: What treatments were effective for your case of bronchitis?
Acute Bronchitis - Risk Factors Question: What risk factors do you have for acute bronchitis?
Acute Bronchitis - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have you found helpful for the symptoms of acute bronchitis?
Acute Bronchitis - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with acute bronchitis?