Patient Comments: Acute Bronchitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with acute bronchitis.

Comment from: Angela, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I have had this hacking cough for 4 weeks now. I felt too ill to go to surgery, so doctor came to me. I had fevers and ached all over, and headache and sore eyes. He gave me penicillin and steroids. It damped things down a bit but the wheezy cough was still bad. I rang out-of-hours doctor, told him doxycycline had worked for bronchitis in the past. I have been taking it for 3 days now and still have thick mucus on chest, sometimes white sometimes yellow! I still feel really tired all the time and unwell. Life feels like it is going by without me, I can't wait to feel well again!

Comment from: Kim, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I thought it was a cold. I was coughing with very bad of phlegm. After 2 weeks I went to my doctor. She gave me antibiotic and prescription cough medicine. Well, the cough medicines didn't stop cough, but made me get up the phlegm. Well, it is worse in the night. Every night I cough for about 1 hour before I fall asleep. I get up to go to the bathroom and then am coughing again for about half hour till I fall asleep. It has been 5 weeks today, I just wish it would stop. I had this last year and it is awful. My conclusion is it is bronchitis. Doctor said my lungs are filled with phlegm. I don't wish this on any one, it drains you.

Comment from: glamirand, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had an upper respiratory episode (with persistent cough) in April, which was treated and went away. The 3rd week of July I developed bronchitis problems again. This time, coughing (severe at times) producing mucus, upper respiratory and chest congestion; no fever. The mucus and cough have continued and this is October 7. I have seen my primary, ENT, and pulmonology specialist. I have had x-ray, mucus infection test (negative), nebulizer treatment, and inhalers. The symptoms seem to improve some, but will not go away. I have a breathing test this week. I am on Singulair, Mucinex, nasal spray, Equate, Delsym, and other medicines. My dermatologist took me off Otezla (for psoriasis) as it sometimes causes these side effects. I have seen a small change in symptoms but still going on. Honestly, I do not know what is wrong with me and apparently neither do my doctors. I will have to see how the breathing test and absence of Otezla goes.

Comment from: Colimixin, Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I get acute bronchitis when the flu is going around or whatever is going around. I always end up with bronchitis. This time it was brought on with inhaling (not on purpose) propane in a warehouse. My chest felt heavy like I needed an inhaler. The next couple of days I wasn't feeling well. I felt tired and was coughing. No temperature, a slight sore throat.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I started out with a sore throat, then the dry coughing. I saw my doctor first week, and went on antibiotics. Second week I went to see my doctor as I had a lot of fluid behind my ears. Third week I was feeling a little better, then I started going downhill again. I went to a walk in clinic found out I had bronchitis and an ear infection. He gave me 2 different type of puffers, and eardrops. Fourth week I was feeling worse. I made another trip to my doctor, where she said I had acute bronchitis and put me on prednisone. But I cannot seem to get rid of this cough and it is very nerve wracking to say the least. I am tired all the time because I can't sleep, and I have missed 2 weeks plus of work. I just want my life back. I drink lots of water and tea. I have found actually that nothing over the counter has helped me and neither does it seem, have the prescriptions from the doctor. Thanks for listening, no I am not much help to anyone, but this is what I have gone through.

Comment from: Elina M., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

Acute bronchitis is contagious. The next question arises as to how long bronchitis is contagious. The answer to this is it can last for as little as a few days to three weeks, and will often follow a viral infection like the flu or cold. Acute bronchitis is more severe than an average cold, but not as serious as pneumonia.

Acute Bronchitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with acute bronchitis, and how long did they last?
Acute Bronchitis - Treatments Question: What treatments were effective for your case of bronchitis?
Acute Bronchitis - Risk Factors Question: What risk factors do you have for acute bronchitis?
Acute Bronchitis - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have you found helpful for the symptoms of acute bronchitis?
Acute Bronchitis - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with acute bronchitis?