Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Treatments

What was the treatment for your broken toe?

Comment from: Kevin, Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I had broken my pinky toe. There were 2 blackish blue bruises on my toe. I woke up next day and watched a blue color proceeding across other toes an up foot. I went to the hospital. This was of no concern they said, but the problem get worse. Treatment was just taping it to the next toe and I was told not take it off for 2 months, but the doctor gave me the tape roll. No other instructions, no elevation or anything, just that it will heal in about 2 months. Only instruction was to follow up with a podiatrist.

Comment from: Texas Star, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

When I was 15, a school piano tipped over and landed on my big toe. For the first couple of minutes, I didn't feel any pain. But about 5 minutes later, it was intense! It was the worst pain I have ever felt even to this day. The toe was absolutely shattered and partially amputated. The surgeon was quite concerned that he wouldn't be able to save it, but he promised to do his best. He did an excellent job considering that there wasn't really much to work with. I wore a walking cast for about 6 weeks after surgery, and the toe was set/fixed with a removable steel pin that the doctor simply pulled out like a shish kebab skewer! That was a bit painful for a few moments, like a burning sensation, but it was over quickly. I then wore ordinary open toed shoes or sandals (always with socks) for a few more weeks until the nail and bone had fully healed. The damage was very severe, but I retained most of the nerve function, most sensation and most importantly, the ability to walk quite normally. Now 35 years later I still have the toe. The middle joint doesn't bend, but it does flex and bend at the foot so I can walk. Surprisingly, I have little arthritis pain in the toe itself, perhaps because there really isn't an actual joint in the toe to get arthritic. I was no longer able to dance ballet after the injury, but that is a small price to pay to be able to walk normally; and hey, I can still country dance and wear my cowgirl boots so it's not all lost! Ironically, just today I stumped my second toe on the same foot (on the heel of my cowgirl boots, when I got up in the middle of the night) and broke it. Wouldn't you know it! Those same boots feel real good on that bunged up toe when I wear them. Those boots are almost as good as that walking cast and space boot I had for my big toe 35 years ago. Isn't that something!

Comment from: Mwalsh, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I broke my big toe when I was about 10. I had 50 pounds of junk drawer fall on it. Really it was a tool drawer. Nothing I could do about it. I let it heal since it wasn't crooked but my toe was black and blue for a couple weeks. Now it won't bend all the way except with help or extreme strain. Lucky me, I also broke my pinky toe on the same foot yesterday. It is grey and blackish blue. With a big red blood dot in the middle where it got hit the worst. It swelled up right away so I have been icing it and buddy wrapped it with its neighboring toe. Just keeping it elevated and hoping I don't walk funny now.

Comment from: MoriKen, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I used the buddy taping method after I cracked my toe back straight. I used one of those massive super sticky cloth Band-Aids. It holds it nice and straight but it doesn't help with any of the swelling and it hurts a great deal.

Comment from: Signhandsnyc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I am one among many with a whacked pinky left foot toe. I saw stars when I knocked my pinky toe on the sofa leg. No doctor, because I don"t need a painful medical bill along with the toe. My toe was swollen and black and blue. I am taking arnica, using ice and soaking it in Epsom salts. I am sure it is broken. The best solution is to keep off the foot and elevate it as much as possible. Difficult to do but I am self-employed. I wear Birkenstock shoes so, I am able to get around. I also taped the toe with its neighbor. I believe there are things in our life that happen and with a foot injury it might be telling us to slow down.

Comment from: kikipoo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

The first time my little toe was broken on the right foot, it was caused by a very big lady stepping on it. The second time, same toe, I was pushing a friend into the pool and bent the toe under my foot and broke it again. The third time the same toe was broken I rammed it on the edge of a door, and the final time my husband stepped on it with his railroad boots on and then asked me why I didn't keep my toe out from under his boot. I needed surgery to remove pieces of bone. I just broke my big toe on the other foot when my dog ran in front of me while I was stepping up a step and I bent the toe back toward the top of my foot and we all heard it snap.

Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience Question: Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?