Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Treatments

What was the treatment for your broken toe?

Comment from: Mwalsh, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I broke my big toe when I was about 10. I had 50 pounds of junk drawer fall on it. Really it was a tool drawer. Nothing I could do about it. I let it heal since it wasn't crooked but my toe was black and blue for a couple weeks. Now it won't bend all the way except with help or extreme strain. Lucky me, I also broke my pinky toe on the same foot yesterday. It is grey and blackish blue. With a big red blood dot in the middle where it got hit the worst. It swelled up right away so I have been icing it and buddy wrapped it with its neighboring toe. Just keeping it elevated and hoping I don't walk funny now.

Comment from: MoriKen, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I used the buddy taping method after I cracked my toe back straight. I used one of those massive super sticky cloth Band-Aids. It holds it nice and straight but it doesn't help with any of the swelling and it hurts a great deal.

Comment from: Signhandsnyc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I am one among many with a whacked pinky left foot toe. I saw stars when I knocked my pinky toe on the sofa leg. No doctor, because I don"t need a painful medical bill along with the toe. My toe was swollen and black and blue. I am taking arnica, using ice and soaking it in Epsom salts. I am sure it is broken. The best solution is to keep off the foot and elevate it as much as possible. Difficult to do but I am self-employed. I wear Birkenstock shoes so, I am able to get around. I also taped the toe with its neighbor. I believe there are things in our life that happen and with a foot injury it might be telling us to slow down.

Comment from: kikipoo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

The first time my little toe was broken on the right foot, it was caused by a very big lady stepping on it. The second time, same toe, I was pushing a friend into the pool and bent the toe under my foot and broke it again. The third time the same toe was broken I rammed it on the edge of a door, and the final time my husband stepped on it with his railroad boots on and then asked me why I didn't keep my toe out from under his boot. I needed surgery to remove pieces of bone. I just broke my big toe on the other foot when my dog ran in front of me while I was stepping up a step and I bent the toe back toward the top of my foot and we all heard it snap.

Comment from: Rita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I broke the big toe in my right foot years ago. I received no treatment and it seemed healed. Last year, the same toe broke again 'spontaneously'. I just had a surgery 2 weeks ago to fuse it as the pain was increasing and it was sending off arthritic bone growth (looked like a bunion). I am in cast for 3 months and recovering at home now.

Comment from: rees05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

The treatment for my broken toe was buddy tape toes together and a special shoe for support.

Comment from: libby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I am a normal very healthy 47 year old woman who didn't have any health problems till I broke my toe 5 years ago on my left foot in three places in a boating accident. The doctors told me they don't operate to correct. Since then I can only wear flat shoes, because of the lifting motion on the toe when heels are worn, feels like it's going to crack in half and extremely painful when I rest it. It also sits on an angle to the left now. The toe is very painful at times. My general physician took x-rays of it 6 months ago and all good he said.

Comment from: Mike, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I broke my three middle toes and my big toe after the inversion table that I was upside down in fell to the side. My big toe broke at a 45-degree angle and my whole foot swelled and turned black and blue. The ER pulled it straight, but it shifted and the doctor had to realign it a week later. I opted out of pin surgery because the bone is very close to how it was, but hopefully it heals and does not shift any further again. I'm stuck on crutches for six weeks and not allowed to put any weight on it. Next time, I'll exercise with more caution.

Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience Question: Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?