Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Treatments

What was the treatment for your broken toe?

Comment from: Signhandsnyc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I am one among many with a whacked pinky left foot toe. I saw stars when I knocked my pinky toe on the sofa leg. No doctor, because I don"t need a painful medical bill along with the toe. My toe was swollen and black and blue. I am taking arnica, using ice and soaking it in Epsom salts. I am sure it is broken. The best solution is to keep off the foot and elevate it as much as possible. Difficult to do but I am self-employed. I wear Birkenstock shoes so, I am able to get around. I also taped the toe with its neighbor. I believe there are things in our life that happen and with a foot injury it might be telling us to slow down.

Comment from: Rita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I broke the big toe in my right foot years ago. I received no treatment and it seemed healed. Last year, the same toe broke again 'spontaneously'. I just had a surgery 2 weeks ago to fuse it as the pain was increasing and it was sending off arthritic bone growth (looked like a bunion). I am in cast for 3 months and recovering at home now.

Comment from: rees05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

The treatment for my broken toe was buddy tape toes together and a special shoe for support.

Comment from: libby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I am a normal very healthy 47 year old woman who didn't have any health problems till I broke my toe 5 years ago on my left foot in three places in a boating accident. The doctors told me they don't operate to correct. Since then I can only wear flat shoes, because of the lifting motion on the toe when heels are worn, feels like it's going to crack in half and extremely painful when I rest it. It also sits on an angle to the left now. The toe is very painful at times. My general physician took x-rays of it 6 months ago and all good he said.

Comment from: Mike, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I broke my three middle toes and my big toe after the inversion table that I was upside down in fell to the side. My big toe broke at a 45-degree angle and my whole foot swelled and turned black and blue. The ER pulled it straight, but it shifted and the doctor had to realign it a week later. I opted out of pin surgery because the bone is very close to how it was, but hopefully it heals and does not shift any further again. I'm stuck on crutches for six weeks and not allowed to put any weight on it. Next time, I'll exercise with more caution.

Comment from: spellbound.unicorn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had my toes caught in a reclining love seat as my husband was putting his side down. My 3 toes in the middle starting with the one beside my big toe is swollen and sore. It hurts to put any pressure on them. I can't bend them or move any of my toes on that foot. I'm pretty sure they are all broken. I'm going to go see my doctor today on other matters and now have one more thing to add to see if my toes are broken. To top it off it's my left foot and my left side of my body is where all my issues are. My doctor is going to love me. I'm not sure if they will just try and cast the foot since I'm pretty sure it's all 3 toes, or if they will just boot it. Either way I hope it relieves the pressure and pain when I hobble around.

Comment from: karon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I broke the large left toe approximately just below my toenail when I lost my balance and slammed it against the side of my tile floor. It turned blacker than a blackboard about 4 hours later. I could not get confirmation by X-ray until 2 days later. The doctors said just what was reflected here. Elevate, Ice, and stay off it.

Comment from: davidlopez504, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

A ladder was dropped on my big toe months ago. I can sprint, run, walk, etc. I can bend it normally but I feel little pain. When I pull my toes the big toe that is broken hurts. It's not swollen or curved, I just feel pain in the toe still.

Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience Question: Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?