Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Treatments

What was the treatment for your broken toe?

Comment from: Grammy3s, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Going downstairs, I slipped off one stair and pitched forward landing with all the force of my body on my curled toe knuckles. Fortunately, I had a grasp on the banister, but I could tell right away I had done some kind of damage to my pinkie toe and/or the structures around it. It immediately swelled and showed bruising. The next day the pain was still intense and the toe and the area around it was swollen and bruised-looking. I did all the right things; ice, ibuprofen, elevation, etc. But here it is, 4 weeks later and I still can't wear anything but sandals. My wise, 10-year old granddaughter told me, "Gram, you know it takes 4-6 weeks for a broken toe to heal. You have to be patient." I can walk without pain, but if I overdo it, I pay later. I'll just be happy to be able to wear shoes again.

Comment from: JohnNorthernCalif, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

To the person concerned about on-going swelling and stiffness, here's something to consider: contrast baths. I am convalescing from a crushed foot, following a motorcycle accident that resulted in three broken foot bones, now held together with multiple screws. I got the swelling down with contrast baths: ice water for 1 minute, hot water for 3 minute, ice water for 1 min, hot for three min, etc. NB: Always end with ice water. Contrast baths create circulation: hot brings in blood, cold pumps the blood back out. Also, do physical therapy: specifically, walk in a swimming pool with water up to your lower chest; at the end of the aqua-therapy, while still in the pool, hold a runner's stretch (hand on the wall of the pool, one foot behind you, dropping the heel to stretch the calf and bottom of foot); hold for 30 to 60 seconds to affect real change to the fascia, the part of your foot that needs to stretch so you can walk again. I endured serious trauma, which nearly resulted in amputation, but now ten months later I can walk again. And the pain is decreasing. Also, you can take ibuprofen 800mg every six to eight hours for swelling, but it only treats symptoms and doesn't provide solutions. Diligent physical therapy is key---so are not smoking and maintaining proper weight and diet. You can do it! Good luck.

Comment from: birdy120690, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I broke my toe about a year ago and went to the emergency room. All they did was X-ray it and tape it to the other one. I got a huge bill for something I could have done myself. I just re-broke it today and I'm just going to do the same thing here at home and avoid the bill. Elevate it, ice it, soak it in Epsom salt, and wait for it to heal.

Comment from: ednakaye, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I broke my big toe in April 2010. It was x-rayed and taped together to the toe next to it. I was given a 'boot' to wear on that foot. I still have issues with pain in that toe.

Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience Question: Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?