Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor

Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?

Comment from: Bobbi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I have had several broken toes, the latest one was not diagnosed properly until I saw a podiatrist. One month wasted on an orthopedist who didn't even touch it to see where the pain was. Always go to the foot specialist!

Comment from: JosOpinions, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 28

Following another self-diagnosed broken toe, buddy-taping, ice, elevation, and over the counter pain medications, my big toe throbbed with shoes. The big toe can have more serious problems. A podiatrist surgically removed a sliver of bone, displaced during the initial break. I lost an additional three weeks of life to avoid a doctor visit. Early detection of the extent of break, especially when a large toe is traumatized, is paramount to avoiding surgery caused by inaccurate self-diagnosis and improper setting, at the very least.

Comment from: suesew, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

After I broke my toe one night, I went to an urgent care clinic the next day, about 14 hours later. I was not planning on going to a doctor or urgent care clinic until my EMS (emergency medical services) friend said I needed to make sure I did not damage any tendons. Urgent care x-rays confirmed a fractured big toe, and I was told I did not have tendon damage. EMS friend said tendon damage without treatment would limit my ability in the future. I left urgent care in a special non-flexible soled boot and with my big toe buddy wrapped.

Comment from: LeeBee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have had several broken toes over the years. I have been to a doctor when the pain was unbearable, or the swelling was very bad, or the skin was broken, or one time when the toe was dislocated. Other times, I just tape it to the next toe and use ice, elevation, and ibuprofen.

Comment from: rees05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I saw a doctor to make sure that I was right about my toe being broken and to file a claim with Aflac so that I could get paid for it since I have Aflac accidental coverage.

Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience Question: Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.
Broken Toe - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?