Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: PS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 29

Someone stamped over my little toe on the left foot with heels during a dance program for women. I removed my footwear and continued to dance for a few minutes after the incident ignoring the sharp pain. When the pain was unnatural, I examined my toe to find a small cut and bleeding at the bottom and the toe itself away from the other toes. There was no swelling. I went on with life with pain killers for 5 days before I got an x-ray, and fracture diagnosed. Buddy strapping is in place but I have almost no pain other than a small niggling pull sometimes. Been advised not to walk for 3 weeks, I am not able to fully stop so, trying to limit my walk. It has been a week, hoping it heals soon. Not sure if I can wear shoes, I feel it supports my foot.

Comment from: Phoenix17, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

Like the similar post here, I broke my 2nd toe (right foot) when I was leading out a horse to be turned out in the early morning. He was spooked and splayed out his front legs, and his foot (hoof!) came down on my right foot but just smashed my toe. I had x-rays that morning. It was fractured. The doctor said nothing much to do. He taped it to my big toe. I could walk if I didn't bend my foot! Now 18 years later, I'm woken up at night with that toe burning (like this morning). The burning pain goes away in about a half hour. I'm grateful it doesn't last all the time!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

Two months ago while wearing soft rubber boots, my horse spooked and spun around pushing off on my foot. My toes and front of my foot hurt and became swollen and bruised. It hurt to wear regular shoes but I had an old pair of generic Crocs with a soft large toe box that I was able to tolerate wearing. O took two days off and then returned to work nursing where I am on my feet continuously. I took ibuprofen morning and night to help with pain. A month later as per advice from a doctor I work with, I had an x-ray. Sure enough my 4th and 5th toes had nondisplaced fractures. It has been two months and my 4th toe remains very swollen but not painful. I can't wear my regular size shoes for any length of time at this point. I had to buy a size larger for winter boots.

Comment from: cobrawho, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I kicked a shelf with my right little toe, as I have many times, but this time my toe got separated from the second little toe, about a quarter of an inch. My symptoms are sharp pain as I did it, but pain stopped immediately. On the second day my toe turned purplish on the inside of the small toe. On the 3rd day about 60 percent of top of the foot turned purple and bruised. It is aching a little while walking, and sore other times. I am on the 3rd week exactly from when I did it, last night it was getting sore, but had socks on and did not notice anything. I looked at it this morning; I noticed the little toe was now black and blue and swelling a little on the inside of my toe. It is kind of ugly, but I have been pushing down a little as it does not sit flat on the floor so I probably caused it but if not, I need to know if it is something I need to run to the hospital about, or if I can just let it heal.

Comment from: nana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I fractured my second toe over 6 weeks ago. I am still having pain and it is curved to the left. I went to urgent care and wore a boot for five weeks but I am still having issues. I do not know what to do. They just told me it takes time.

Comment from: old guy, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I had to get up in the middle of the night a couple of weeks ago to go to the bathroom and on the way back from the bathroom, I slammed the pinky toe of my left foot on a bureau. By golly, it hurt and it still does.

Comment from: renee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I broke my baby toe on the right foot back on New Year's Eve. It is still swollen and I am wondering if I should seek medical treatment. I taped my toes together but they are still swollen even after a month.

Broken Toe - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?