Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: nana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I fractured my second toe over 6 weeks ago. I am still having pain and it is curved to the left. I went to urgent care and wore a boot for five weeks but I am still having issues. I do not know what to do. They just told me it takes time.

Comment from: nanodelle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

Two and a half weeks ago, my family went to an island. While at the beach, I stubbed my left foot, 2nd toe in from pinkie, on a hidden 4 x 4 in the sand (there had been a lot of beach erosion from the flooding system that hit severely in October). The toe was canted at a slightly odd angle, and turned purple. It didn't stop me from swimming, but I wasn't on beach for that long. Back at the motel, I tried ice/cool packs, naproxen, and OxyContin. All helped. Fast forward 2.5 weeks; it is still sore, still a bit larger than normal. I get that achy-bone feeling that I got a few years back when I broke my ring finger and needed surgery. Even about 14 days later, my pinky toe had some black and blue on the inside facing the toe that I either busted, dislocated or badly sprained (buddy-binding only helped at the very beginning).

Comment from: mebunches2001, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I fractured my great toe in two places when I passed out and fell. The podiatrist taped it (x-rays were taken 10 days earlier at the emergency room). When I went back two weeks later to have it looked at, the podiatrist took his own x-rays and said the toe was dislocated and 'fixed' it by pulling on it, then put a cast on. At the next appointment he removed the cast and deemed it all to be healed. There were/are more issues but this was enough concerning just the toe.

Comment from: Starmystik, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

My horse slipped in the mud going around a corner; her feel slid sideways out from under her and we both went down. I think she might have stepped on my foot when she scrambled back up (it happened so fast) but I ended up with a broken toe!

Comment from: butterfly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

While in shower a larger sized shampoo bottle slipped and fell on my 3rd toe, on my left foot. This is so frustrating, as I have foot injuries on right foot full thickness tear with smaller tear of tendon. I am so frustrated because I have recently lost 18 lb. and love bike riding which I am no longer allowed to do. I am in a lot of pain, and have realized I have to rest it, because the last few times I have overused it I have paid dearly with pain for it. This happened last weekend and I have a job that requires standing all day, I don't like being and feeling so helpless.

Comment from: john woods, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

I was getting something from the refrigerator and my toe cracked out of nowhere. I have diabetes. I don't know what happened.

Comment from: cocogorm, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I was chopping a squash in my kitchen near the dish rack. It had a very hard skin so I slammed in into the counter causing a heavy glass to go flying out of the dish rack and onto my pinky toe. Thought it was just bruised but turns out it is fractured.

Comment from: Larsonsmum, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am 58, and my big toe on my right foot has stuck up all my life (as my late Mum told me as a baby in the pram it stuck out from under the blankets). It actually wears a hole in my trainers/shoes which is annoying but not half as troublesome as repeatedly being told by physiotherapists that it is having an adverse effect on my entire leg, knees, hips etc. Yet, I am told nothing can be done about it (I wonder if it was broken when I was a baby).

Broken Toe - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?