Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: mebunches2001, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I fractured my great toe in two places when I passed out and fell. The podiatrist taped it (x-rays were taken 10 days earlier at the emergency room). When I went back two weeks later to have it looked at, the podiatrist took his own x-rays and said the toe was dislocated and 'fixed' it by pulling on it, then put a cast on. At the next appointment he removed the cast and deemed it all to be healed. There were/are more issues but this was enough concerning just the toe.

Comment from: Starmystik, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

My horse slipped in the mud going around a corner; her feel slid sideways out from under her and we both went down. I think she might have stepped on my foot when she scrambled back up (it happened so fast) but I ended up with a broken toe!

Comment from: butterfly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

While in shower a larger sized shampoo bottle slipped and fell on my 3rd toe, on my left foot. This is so frustrating, as I have foot injuries on right foot full thickness tear with smaller tear of tendon. I am so frustrated because I have recently lost 18 lb. and love bike riding which I am no longer allowed to do. I am in a lot of pain, and have realized I have to rest it, because the last few times I have overused it I have paid dearly with pain for it. This happened last weekend and I have a job that requires standing all day, I don't like being and feeling so helpless.

Comment from: Abnormal Toe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

This weekend while turning to go to the waste basket in my bathroom I ran my foot into my garden tub. Three toes were impacted but only the little toe broke. I heard the snap and now my toe nail on that toe is pointing toward the side of my foot instead of up on top like it should be. It is purple which is what happens every time I break a bone. I have put tape on it and turned the toe nail back to its normal position and taped the toe to the other and put an additional wrap around my foot to make sure it does not move. I will keep it this way until the toe nail does not try and turn back to the side of the foot. Once I got it back into position and it is immobile there is only slight pain when I go to step certain ways. If this does not adhere or start to heal I will seek an orthopedic doctor to see what can be done.

Comment from: Ouch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I had a draft horse, 1800 lb., stand on my right foot. It broke a metatarsal bone in my foot and crushed my 4th toe as per hospital x-ray. It has been 3 weeks. I still can't wear a shoe and the toe is losing its skin. It hurts unbelievably. Hospital told me to stay off, but can't for much longer. My foot is now healed but toe is so swollen.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

Walking into an unfamiliar room barefoot, I didn't correctly gauge the distance of the chair I needed to walk around. I slammed my foot into the base and immediately felt pain shoot up my foot. Second and third toe were throbbing. Black/purple bruise was immediate. Swelling lasted for days. Now 10 days later it hurts to put pressure on top part of foot or wear shoes.

Comment from: Vna, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I tripped over a wire in the dark on New Year's Eve, it did hurt but I did not think too much of it. Three weeks later it did still hurt but not as much, but it felt strange. So I went to get the toe x-rayed, not only was it broken but was also displaced. I had surgery with two pins. I can't wear a regular shoe, nor can I bicycle which I do 4 or 5 times a week. That is why I did not want to see the doctor in the first place because six weeks without riding is no fun for someone who is active and addicted to exercise! It is unfortunately my seventh fracture!

Broken Toe - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?