Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

Two months ago while wearing soft rubber boots, my horse spooked and spun around pushing off on my foot. My toes and front of my foot hurt and became swollen and bruised. It hurt to wear regular shoes but I had an old pair of generic Crocs with a soft large toe box that I was able to tolerate wearing. O took two days off and then returned to work nursing where I am on my feet continuously. I took ibuprofen morning and night to help with pain. A month later as per advice from a doctor I work with, I had an x-ray. Sure enough my 4th and 5th toes had nondisplaced fractures. It has been two months and my 4th toe remains very swollen but not painful. I can't wear my regular size shoes for any length of time at this point. I had to buy a size larger for winter boots.

Comment from: cobrawho, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I kicked a shelf with my right little toe, as I have many times, but this time my toe got separated from the second little toe, about a quarter of an inch. My symptoms are sharp pain as I did it, but pain stopped immediately. On the second day my toe turned purplish on the inside of the small toe. On the 3rd day about 60 percent of top of the foot turned purple and bruised. It is aching a little while walking, and sore other times. I am on the 3rd week exactly from when I did it, last night it was getting sore, but had socks on and did not notice anything. I looked at it this morning; I noticed the little toe was now black and blue and swelling a little on the inside of my toe. It is kind of ugly, but I have been pushing down a little as it does not sit flat on the floor so I probably caused it but if not, I need to know if it is something I need to run to the hospital about, or if I can just let it heal.

Comment from: nana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I fractured my second toe over 6 weeks ago. I am still having pain and it is curved to the left. I went to urgent care and wore a boot for five weeks but I am still having issues. I do not know what to do. They just told me it takes time.

Comment from: nanodelle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

Two and a half weeks ago, my family went to an island. While at the beach, I stubbed my left foot, 2nd toe in from pinkie, on a hidden 4 x 4 in the sand (there had been a lot of beach erosion from the flooding system that hit severely in October). The toe was canted at a slightly odd angle, and turned purple. It didn't stop me from swimming, but I wasn't on beach for that long. Back at the motel, I tried ice/cool packs, naproxen, and OxyContin. All helped. Fast forward 2.5 weeks; it is still sore, still a bit larger than normal. I get that achy-bone feeling that I got a few years back when I broke my ring finger and needed surgery. Even about 14 days later, my pinky toe had some black and blue on the inside facing the toe that I either busted, dislocated or badly sprained (buddy-binding only helped at the very beginning).

Comment from: mebunches2001, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I fractured my great toe in two places when I passed out and fell. The podiatrist taped it (x-rays were taken 10 days earlier at the emergency room). When I went back two weeks later to have it looked at, the podiatrist took his own x-rays and said the toe was dislocated and 'fixed' it by pulling on it, then put a cast on. At the next appointment he removed the cast and deemed it all to be healed. There were/are more issues but this was enough concerning just the toe.

Comment from: Badluckgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

A tempered glass door fell off my oven, directly onto my foot. The pain was unreal! My 4th right toe turned almost black immediately. The top of my foot was horribly bruised as well. The toenail was also a dark blue color. After a week, bruising and swelling have decreased, but the pain is still keeping me awake. I wonder if the toe is broken.

Comment from: jpage, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I had a 4x8x10 board fall over on my toe. I am having extreme pain, can't fully bend my toe and have extreme bruising.

Broken Toe - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?