Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: jessie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I broke my toe by catching it on a guard railing and bent my small toe all the way to the side. I thought I just stubbed it bad as I hopped around holding it then finally set down and I looked down and through my sock I saw it was stuck out to the side. For the next 8 days the pain never went away not even for a minute but did get less intense until it stopped. I was given Tylenol 3 at the hospital but never took them so wouldn't know if they help. My toes is still broken, it's only been 3 weeks and it is still bruised. I can still only bend and move my big toe (even though I only broke 1 toe), and every now and then if I move it or put it down the wrong way or accidentally flex it hurts pretty bad, but on its own it ok.

Comment from: Miss Limps Alot, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I have broken, or reinjured while healing, my right pinky toe dozens, and dozens of times. When it is 'not broken', it is stiff and slightly deformed. Every time, it took less trauma to break, such as just dropping a box of cereal on it. How many times can it be broken, before a permanent and severe deformity occurs! This issue got much worse after foot surgery for a Jones fracture, but did exist beforehand.

Comment from: senecawoman5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I have had two broken toes, both extremely painful. The first was a chip fracture of my big toe, on my right foot, when I attempted to scale a wall. I was holding a glass bowl of tuna macaroni salad in my hands. At the time was 9 months pregnant. I missed the step and came down on the top of my toe, chipping the bone. The next time I broke a toe I was chasing my 12 year old daughter through the house (in jest) because she had ordered a movie for USD 5.00 on my card without asking me. I accidentally ran into my son's steel toed boots in the hallway with my foot and broke my toe.

Comment from: hopalong, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I broke my big toe and the toe beside it. In spite of these two toes being taped together and not to any other for nearly six weeks the breaks healed. The issue is that I continue to have chronic pain, cramping and spasms in my upper foot, especially between the two knuckles of my hallux. My toes have almost no range of motion and remain stiff. I don't know what to do at this point.

Comment from: PS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 29

Someone stamped over my little toe on the left foot with heels during a dance program for women. I removed my footwear and continued to dance for a few minutes after the incident ignoring the sharp pain. When the pain was unnatural, I examined my toe to find a small cut and bleeding at the bottom and the toe itself away from the other toes. There was no swelling. I went on with life with pain killers for 5 days before I got an x-ray, and fracture diagnosed. Buddy strapping is in place but I have almost no pain other than a small niggling pull sometimes. Been advised not to walk for 3 weeks, I am not able to fully stop so, trying to limit my walk. It has been a week, hoping it heals soon. Not sure if I can wear shoes, I feel it supports my foot.

Comment from: Caucie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I slammed my foot into an unyielding metal chair leg and after a few moments of yelping, continued on with my day. Over a week later, the entire lower foot is swollen beyond recognition and I cannot put a shoe on. Good thing it is summer. I limp like an old person, and I fear that foot will never recover. I know it is broken. I tried taping and it hurts worse to walk. I teach so cannot stay off the foot. I ice it 2 to 3 times a day. No difference except for temporary relief of some pain.

Comment from: Phoenix17, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

Like the similar post here, I broke my 2nd toe (right foot) when I was leading out a horse to be turned out in the early morning. He was spooked and splayed out his front legs, and his foot (hoof!) came down on my right foot but just smashed my toe. I had x-rays that morning. It was fractured. The doctor said nothing much to do. He taped it to my big toe. I could walk if I didn't bend my foot! Now 18 years later, I'm woken up at night with that toe burning (like this morning). The burning pain goes away in about a half hour. I'm grateful it doesn't last all the time!

Broken Toe - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?