Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Gmcdo20148, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I walked into the rocking chair in the middle of the night on December 10th, fractured my toe and it turned a nice shade of purple. I taped toes together, iced it and then had warm foot baths. It is March 18th and it is still red and deformed. I can"t bend it at all; the toe next to big toe on the left foot. The doctor did nothing. I am diabetic.

Comment from: LeeBee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have broken toes many times in my life and yesterday just jammed my little toe into a coffee table and I"m pretty sure it"s broken because moving it in certain positions is very painful. That said, I can still walk and am not concerned. I taped it to the toe next to it for stability which is what has always been the treatment I received when I visited a doctor for a broken toe. In my experience, it can take a long time to heal but doesn"t have to be too incapacitating - especially the little toe. I used ice right away and have been also keeping elevated as much as possible and took a bunch of Ibuprofen this morning.

Comment from: Ouch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I had open fracture of the big toe after a piece of furniture landed on it. My big toenail split in half with blood gushing out everywhere. The worst part was getting the bloody dried gauze off of my broken nail in the emergency room. They eventually got it off by soaking the gauze in hydrogen peroxide. After this, a doctor stuck a needle into the bottom of my toe and then another needle into the top of my toe to numb it enough to take a look at it and clean the wound. The needles hurt like heck causing me to scream out in pain. I am on antibiotics and pain medications with an appointment to see an orthopedic foot specialist tomorrow.

Comment from: rees05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

One night my boyfriend and I were playing and he slammed me on the floor. After getting up, my big toe was hurting so badly, it swelled up instantly, and it was starting to get numb. I kept telling him that it was broken but he didn"t believe me until I went to the hospital and they confirmed with an x-ray and observation that my big toe was broken.

Comment from: rees05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

Yes, I was getting ready for work and hit my 4th toe (next to the pinky) on the exercise bike that is in my living room. It hurt really bad. I went to work even though I was in pain. A week later my toe was swollen and throbbing with sharp pain. I kept saying that it was broken, I went to an Express Care and the doctor told me that it was just a contusion. Not satisfied with his diagnosis I went to the hospital, got an x-ray and had an orthopedic doctor look at my toe and they confirmed that the toe had a fracture in the exact place that I kept pointing at.

Comment from: Pinky pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I was going around barefoot and ran into a heavy table sitting on end. I knew it was broken because it was pointing east and west while my foot was headed north and south. When I asked my sister, a nurse, to put it back in place, she said "no". I slid my foot along the floor and did it myself. There has been quite a bit of pain. As long as I keep my shoe off as much as possible and my foot off, it is bearable. I have burning sensation if I walk too much. It has been two weeks and 2 days.

Comment from: N/A, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I broke my left foot pinky toe when I crashed my left foot on the dining chair leg. The heavy chair moved and so did my pinky toe. I went to the emergency room and the doctor confirmed that my pinky is broken. She applied buddy taping and gave splint shoe to wear and told me it will take weeks to cure. So I am grounded for around 6 weeks.

Comment from: 1776, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

All I did was walk across my carpeted living room floor with my shoes and socks on and got a severe sharp pain in the middle of my big toe. It began to swell so I put ice on it and elevated it. The next day it hurt but looked okay. The following day it was all purple and black on the outer side. The next day it was black on the other side of my toe. This all started on a Wednesday, so Monday I called my foot doctor. He took several X-rays and sure enough it was broken from one end of the joint to the other. He had me have a bone density scan because I have osteopenia. The scan showed just a very small amount of difference since my last scan. He put my foot in a surgical boot for 5 weeks. The bruising is gone, but the boot really doesn't seem like it's helping, still very painful.

Broken Toe - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?