Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.

Published: April 22

My toe the one next to the big toe is broken and has been for 3 weeks and is still swollen and discolored, but I was told nothing else can be done but just tape it to the next toe and it will heal on its own. My whole foot is hurting after a long period of time and it's a hump underneath the toe in which I never had.

Comment from: la diva, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I had a hairline fracture of the big toe 3 months ago. The crack seems to have healed but I keep on getting burning sensation and pain in both my feet and legs. I actually slipped down the stairs and my right big toe got bent and there was this sharp and intense pain that I experienced at that moment. My right toe seems to swell off and on. My right leg and foot have more of the burning sensation.

Comment from: Smokey, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

While moving some floor boards I dropped one on my right big toe. The board bounced off my toe and I did a little war dance. After removing my shoe and sock I could see that I had crushed the tip of my toe. I put ice on it and kept it elevated. The next day when I got out of bed I felt light heated and sick, so my wife convinced me to go to the emergency room. After an X-ray the doctor informed me that I broke the tip of the bone on my big toe. It is now buddy wrapped and I keep it raised as much as possible. I have 10 days off so far. I will evaluate if more time needed closer to the end of the 10 days.

Comment from: Loulou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I stubbed my little toe on a chair in bedroom when i got up in hurry. I was in agony, after 1 hour my toe was protruding outward and very swollen. I went to the hospital and had an x-ray. I was fractured they wrapped it to the next toe (in a splint). It's now bruised, can't afford to take time off work, hope it mends quick.

Comment from: dan k, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I was camping out with friends and figured I could chop wood; but the axe was dull! So it ended up in my middle toe of my right foot, and x-rays showed that I had cut it off, so I had my pediatrist (an awesome dude with an awesome name) surgically have a pin inserted, boot, crutches for half the time, and medication for 7 1/2 weeks! Thanks to him, I still have a toe, and one lesson learned: don't chop wood with a dull axe in flip-flops!

Comment from: Danae, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I fell in a darkened theater last night and rolled my left foot under me as I fell. The pain was incredible I have had four children and the pain was right up there with childbirth. I knew I had broken it (I'm a nurse). X rays revealed I have broken the fourth metatarsal all the way through. There was a mile long waiting list in the ED so I went home and have been resting the foot in an elevated position and icing it. I will need plaster for it. My wedding is in 5 weeks!

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 09

My husband broke his little toe by hitting it on a door. He fainted, so I took the opportunity to buddy splint his toe at that time. It is a little less painful that way. I am a nurse.

Comment from: Lowana Porth, 55-64 Female Published: September 02

I stubbed my little toe the other day. It really hurts when I move it in an upward position. It is a little black and blue at the base of my little toe. I can't really afford to go to the doctor, but can I do that buddy taping to see if it helps.

Broken Toe - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?