Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Trish3520, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I accidentally kicked a dining set chair last night. These chairs are big and heavy, so you can bet it hurt. Pain was in my fourth toe (next to the pinky toe) of my left foot. The pain seemed to dissipate and it was late, so I went to bed. Today, I'm not sure if it's fractured or sprained or whatever else it could be. It's definitely bruised and purple, but it doesn't seem to be swollen. There is minor pain when curling my toes, but I can walk barefoot pretty normally. However, it hurts to walk while wearing my work shoes (low wedge Mary Janes). I have to walk to work every day. This is not going to be fun.

Comment from: stevew., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

Two days ago, my husband was working in the garden and a ladder fell onto his big toe. He had lots of pain and bruise but since it was a long weekend the walk-in clinic doctor said that he had to wait until Tuesday.

Comment from: Sensation, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I broke my middle toe a couple of years ago. I am in the building trade and every night I get home from work it is absolute agony. It is a really weird shape and absolutely throbs.

Comment from: Paige, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I hurt my toe and think I broke it. It was painful for about 10 minutes. Then it started to swell and I couldn't really move it. So I put ice on it. For the next 2 weeks it was sore.

Comment from: Jandra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

About a week ago, a water-filled shampoo bottle I was using on the inside of the shower curtain to keep it from billowing into the tub area fell on the proximal joint of my right big toe. The area is quite tender, there is a big, dark red bruise about 1 1/4 inches across. I can bend the joint but it hurts. My foot is swollen, especially the big toe. I wonder if I should consider checking this out for a fracture.

Comment from: Dawn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I was making the bed and getting ready for work when I kicked the steel leg of the bed. It hurt badly, but, I put on lace up tennis shoes and hurried to work. I walked on it all day and it was tender. When I got home and took off my shoe, the instep was all purple. The toe hurt but was not crooked so I did not seek any care. Now, 10 years later, the toe is very crooked and points the wrong way and has a bump at the knuckle. It is difficult to wear shoes. I can find sandals in the summer, not flip flops as they will not stay on due to the space between my big toe and the one next to it. Winter is harder, as I have a really hard time wearing closed toe shoes.

Comment from: LynR., 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 22

My husband is 82 and suffers from CHF, COPD and myelodysplasia. His circulation is very bad. Last night he slipped while getting out of his chair and bent his foot while trying to get traction on the floor. Today he is in severe pain. Because his feet are generally swollen, it is hard to discern abnormal discoloration and bruising on his foot. I wonder if his other conditions make a possible broken toe more serious than it might otherwise be.

Comment from: Puma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I hit my toe by my pinky on a detergent box and heard it snap. It bruised immediately and the bruising proceeded over to my big toe within days. I didn't seek help since everyone said they can't do anything anyway but since then my foot it hurting when I walk and it has been 16 days.

Comment from: Jerrod, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

Training in jiu-jitsu I posted up all my weight on to my 1st toe and heard a large snap and it was very painful. Now the first metatarsal head is swollen and stiff, but no deformity or color just terribly sore.

Broken Toe - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?