Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: LynR., 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 22

My husband is 82 and suffers from CHF, COPD and myelodysplasia. His circulation is very bad. Last night he slipped while getting out of his chair and bent his foot while trying to get traction on the floor. Today he is in severe pain. Because his feet are generally swollen, it is hard to discern abnormal discoloration and bruising on his foot. I wonder if his other conditions make a possible broken toe more serious than it might otherwise be.

Comment from: Puma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I hit my toe by my pinky on a detergent box and heard it snap. It bruised immediately and the bruising proceeded over to my big toe within days. I didn't seek help since everyone said they can't do anything anyway but since then my foot it hurting when I walk and it has been 16 days.

Comment from: Jerrod, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

Training in jiu-jitsu I posted up all my weight on to my 1st toe and heard a large snap and it was very painful. Now the first metatarsal head is swollen and stiff, but no deformity or color just terribly sore.

Comment from: Maya, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I jammed my toe against a corner wall. It hurt for a long time, now, a few hours later, there is visible bruising on the joint and slightly swollen. It hurts to walk and I cannot bend my toe at all, I wonder if it is broken.

Comment from: Nereid, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I've broken several toes and a bone in my foot, mostly from sports injuries, and all I have to say about the idea that all you need for the pain is some Advil or what not is: my foot! Pun intended. In my experience, toes are weirdly like teeth (and ribs, for that matter) in that when they are injured they hurt like crazy! I'm not a wimp, either, I've had 3 kids, all natural, no pain medications, but toe injuries are awful! If you are hurting, don't let your doctor push you around. The way people's pain is under-treated is a crime, in my opinion.

Comment from: meandchance, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

To start off, I have broken the tips of my toes several times, but this is different. I have multiple sclerosis (MS) and osteoporosis and medicating for both. I recently possibly dropped a can of pop on my 3rd toe. Well, it is in the middle of both sides. Now my toe is swollen and is easily moved up and down before the toe reaches my foot. If it is just fractured/broken I am pretty sure that if I go to the doctor, they will just take x-rays and tape my toe to the adjoining toe and possibly send me home with one of those, walking shoes that you strap on to your foot. Therefore, there is no point in going to the doctor and spending money that I do not have.

Comment from: rees05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

One night my boyfriend and I were playing and he slammed me on the floor. After getting up, my big toe was hurting so badly, it swelled up instantly, and it was starting to get numb. I kept telling him that it was broken but he didn"t believe me until I went to the hospital and they confirmed with an x-ray and observation that my big toe was broken.

Comment from: rees05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

Yes, I was getting ready for work and hit my 4th toe (next to the pinky) on the exercise bike that is in my living room. It hurt really bad. I went to work even though I was in pain. A week later my toe was swollen and throbbing with sharp pain. I kept saying that it was broken, I went to an Express Care and the doctor told me that it was just a contusion. Not satisfied with his diagnosis I went to the hospital, got an x-ray and had an orthopedic doctor look at my toe and they confirmed that the toe had a fracture in the exact place that I kept pointing at.

Broken Toe - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?