Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: cocogorm, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I was chopping a squash in my kitchen near the dish rack. It had a very hard skin so I slammed in into the counter causing a heavy glass to go flying out of the dish rack and onto my pinky toe. Thought it was just bruised but turns out it is fractured.

Comment from: Larsonsmum, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am 58, and my big toe on my right foot has stuck up all my life (as my late Mum told me as a baby in the pram it stuck out from under the blankets). It actually wears a hole in my trainers/shoes which is annoying but not half as troublesome as repeatedly being told by physiotherapists that it is having an adverse effect on my entire leg, knees, hips etc. Yet, I am told nothing can be done about it (I wonder if it was broken when I was a baby).

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

Walking into an unfamiliar room barefoot, I didn't correctly gauge the distance of the chair I needed to walk around. I slammed my foot into the base and immediately felt pain shoot up my foot. Second and third toe were throbbing. Black/purple bruise was immediate. Swelling lasted for days. Now 10 days later it hurts to put pressure on top part of foot or wear shoes.

Comment from: Mar, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I cut the back of big toe. I lost toenail and the toe was broken. I have major swelling on area under toes. Big toe is not swollen.

Comment from: star#1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I stubbed a toe on my left foot, the toe that is next to the little toe. This happened nine days ago and it doesn't appear to be getting any better. All of the toes on the foot as well as the whole foot are swollen and I haven't been able to wear shoes for over a week. I'm not sure why the foot as well as all of the toes on my left foot are swollen when it was just the one toe that was injured. I tried ibuprofen and propping my foot up but nothing seems to help.

Comment from: Trish3520, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I accidentally kicked a dining set chair last night. These chairs are big and heavy, so you can bet it hurt. Pain was in my fourth toe (next to the pinky toe) of my left foot. The pain seemed to dissipate and it was late, so I went to bed. Today, I'm not sure if it's fractured or sprained or whatever else it could be. It's definitely bruised and purple, but it doesn't seem to be swollen. There is minor pain when curling my toes, but I can walk barefoot pretty normally. However, it hurts to walk while wearing my work shoes (low wedge Mary Janes). I have to walk to work every day. This is not going to be fun.

Comment from: stevew., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

Two days ago, my husband was working in the garden and a ladder fell onto his big toe. He had lots of pain and bruise but since it was a long weekend the walk-in clinic doctor said that he had to wait until Tuesday.

Comment from: Sensation, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I broke my middle toe a couple of years ago. I am in the building trade and every night I get home from work it is absolute agony. It is a really weird shape and absolutely throbs.

Comment from: Paige, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I hurt my toe and think I broke it. It was painful for about 10 minutes. Then it started to swell and I couldn't really move it. So I put ice on it. For the next 2 weeks it was sore.

Broken Toe - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?