Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: LaurieB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I hit my R pinky toe on a chair while someone was in the chair. The chair didn't move, but the toe did. I broke it. Immediately I felt such pain and the toe was swollen and red. It caused me pain to walk and even the sheets touching it hurt. I called the doctor and the nurse said just buddy tape it. 4 days later I dropped an iron on the same toe! Intense pain. Had an X-ray from a Doc in the Box the following morning that showed a POSSIBLE break, but I was told just to buddy tape it. 7 weeks later the toe was causing me the same pain and was still swollen, so I went to a podiatrist. He took an X-ray and found that the toe was in pieces and will require surgery. I suggest going to a podiatrist from the start!

Comment from: Momma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I walked into a hope chest and cracked my little toe. The pain was intense. More than three weeks later, I am still wearing a moccasin; a shoe is not an option with the pain. The podiatrist said there was no reason for an office visit. He suggested I tape my injured toe to the one next to it and that it will heal on its own. I am very frustrated at the continuous pain and no improvement at all. Only the bruising is gone. The pain gets to me when I go to work or have to walk any distance more than a block. I wish there was some solution.

Comment from: Kerri, 45-54 Female Published: March 18

About 2006 I broke my big toe line dancing but didn't realize at the time that I had broken it I thought it was sprained. Well I continued to walk around and over time it stopped hurting so I assumed the sprain had gone away. Little did I know three years later I would be having surgery on the toe. Apparently it was broken and didn't heal properly which in turn caused the tendon to wrap itself around the bone and caused a bunion and a bone spur. The doctor had to re-break the toe and he put a screw in that dissolved after 8 weeks when the bone was set. He had to fix the tendon and he got rid of the bone spur and they bunion. Moral of this story: if you hurt your toe get it checked out straight away.

Comment from: kath, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I broke my little toe about five weeks ago. It began to heal nicely and the pain had all but gone, but after three weeks, I re-broke it again. Now it is as painful as ever and not healing at all.

Comment from: JoeJoe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I had a large chair roll over my large toe over 3 weeks ago. The toe has not stopped aching and the swelling has now confined itself to just the toe. I believe that it is fractured since the pain has not subsided for three weeks and the swelling remains but does subside after sleeping at night. I cannot afford to take off time from work, so I am assuming at some point this will heal.

Comment from: neversaidiwasagenius, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I broke my large toe by kicking a giant iceberg that I thought was a giant snowball. My mother (a physical therapist) said that the emergency room visit was not worth the money, so I buddy taped it to the toe next to it, but this did not accomplish much. Taping and ibuprofen helped to alleviate the pain, but every step still hurts (and I ran track on a broken toe for 6 weeks, which didn't help!). To this day, my toe is bent 30 degrees in the wrong direction and I need a half size up when I'm buying shoes. So I would advise, should you break your big toe, seek emergency medical care to correct any misalignment, if only to prevent disfigurement, unless you don't care about that.

Comment from: kvh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

Broken toes are the pits! I went to emergency room because my toe was way to the side of my foot (small toe). Pain medications, a boot, crutches and tape. All you can do is ice it and keep it elevated and pray you don't hit it against anything for a while. I'm 11 days from the accident and feel pain when I do something stupid, but I'm getting better!

Comment from: ouch., 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I just dropped my laptop right on my big toe. It hurts like a son of a gun, took a chunk of skin out with it too so its bleeding, but I'm icing and elevating it now good thing I work at a clinic so I can get it looked at right away in the morning.

Broken Toe - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?