Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: cjyounts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was making up my bed, as I was walking around the bed to finish the other side there was a pillow in the floor with the open side of the pillow case facing me. So, I tried to step over the pillow when my big toe on my right foot gets caught on the opening of the pillow case. Trying to avoid falling I pulled my toe out of the case, my big toe bent under my foot and hit knuckle first with all my weight. I know I broke it, but emergency room (ER) x-rays showed no break. Three months later it is still swollen and horrible sharp pain shoots up my foot. MRI showed break not healing. I am getting ready to try tissue stimulation at home for 6 weeks. Awesome.

Comment from: Gmcdo20148, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I walked into the rocking chair in the middle of the night on December 10th, fractured my toe and it turned a nice shade of purple. I taped toes together, iced it and then had warm foot baths. It is March 18th and it is still red and deformed. I can"t bend it at all; the toe next to big toe on the left foot. The doctor did nothing. I am diabetic.

Comment from: LeeBee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have broken toes many times in my life and yesterday just jammed my little toe into a coffee table and I"m pretty sure it"s broken because moving it in certain positions is very painful. That said, I can still walk and am not concerned. I taped it to the toe next to it for stability which is what has always been the treatment I received when I visited a doctor for a broken toe. In my experience, it can take a long time to heal but doesn"t have to be too incapacitating - especially the little toe. I used ice right away and have been also keeping elevated as much as possible and took a bunch of Ibuprofen this morning.

Comment from: Ouch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I had open fracture of the big toe after a piece of furniture landed on it. My big toenail split in half with blood gushing out everywhere. The worst part was getting the bloody dried gauze off of my broken nail in the emergency room. They eventually got it off by soaking the gauze in hydrogen peroxide. After this, a doctor stuck a needle into the bottom of my toe and then another needle into the top of my toe to numb it enough to take a look at it and clean the wound. The needles hurt like heck causing me to scream out in pain. I am on antibiotics and pain medications with an appointment to see an orthopedic foot specialist tomorrow.

Comment from: jpage, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I had a 4x8x10 board fall over on my toe. I am having extreme pain, can't fully bend my toe and have extreme bruising.

Comment from: cocogorm, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I was chopping a squash in my kitchen near the dish rack. It had a very hard skin so I slammed in into the counter causing a heavy glass to go flying out of the dish rack and onto my pinky toe. Thought it was just bruised but turns out it is fractured.

Comment from: Larsonsmum, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am 58, and my big toe on my right foot has stuck up all my life (as my late Mum told me as a baby in the pram it stuck out from under the blankets). It actually wears a hole in my trainers/shoes which is annoying but not half as troublesome as repeatedly being told by physiotherapists that it is having an adverse effect on my entire leg, knees, hips etc. Yet, I am told nothing can be done about it (I wonder if it was broken when I was a baby).

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

Walking into an unfamiliar room barefoot, I didn't correctly gauge the distance of the chair I needed to walk around. I slammed my foot into the base and immediately felt pain shoot up my foot. Second and third toe were throbbing. Black/purple bruise was immediate. Swelling lasted for days. Now 10 days later it hurts to put pressure on top part of foot or wear shoes.

Broken Toe - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?