Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: dgreen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I broke my big left toe at work. I dropped a 150-plus pound piece of machinery on it and fractured the bone in three places. I not only broke it, but hit it so hard that it blew my toe open, and that required about 20 stitches to repair it. I lucked out and didn't have to have surgery because it was above my joint. I can tell you that I have had four kids and the shot they gave me to numb it was worse than having it injured in the first place. I have a lot of pain and my toe looks terrible, but each day it is getting better. The doctor says it will take at least six months for all the pain to go away. I have been on crutches for a month now and will continue to use them and start walking on the foot a little at a time, but that hurts at this point as well. The thing that helped me the most was just staying off of it as much as possible and keeping it elevated. Ibuprofen worked the best for pain. Good luck to anyone who has to deal with a broken big toe.

Comment from: JJ, 55-64 Female Published: September 02

In March, while on holiday, I broke my left baby toe. The very same day the eyesight in my left eye became extremely cloudy. However, I thought these two things were totally unrelated. When I returned home I sought out an ophthalmologist and all was well as far as he was concerned with my eyesight. However, I still continued to have bouts of cloudy vision. The other day watching a doctor on TV brought it all to light. He said that the baby toe is connected to the part of the brain in the back of your head that affects the optic nerve. Eureka! I now know the cause of my cloudy vision in my left eye, which, by the way, is starting to clear up now that my toe is healing.

Comment from: injured, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

Can anyone advise me or direct me on what to do as far as treatment in decreasing pain and swelling. In short I was in a car accident and my ankle was crushed and I suffered 3 broken toes. I have had an external fixator, a cast, permanent hardware in my ankle, physical therapy and 11 months later my toes are stiff and will not bend completely which makes it awkward/painful when walking. There is soreness (toes) from the inside out and sore to the touch. My ankle still swells and my toes (tip) burn at times. The hardware pokes at my skin and my foot is sore and tight quite often. I am still under the doctor's care, but he offers little direction on remedies or treatment.

Comment from: intrepid, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I dropped a 45 lb weight on my left big toe and shattered the bone below the nail. X-rays revealed an open longitudinal crack in the bone and dislocated bone fragments consistent with a shatter injury. I had surgery 3 days after the injury. The surgeon used one metal screw to fixate the longitudinal crack in the bone and two bio-degradable screws for the other bone fragments. He also removed some small bone chips. The latest x-rays (3 weeks post surgery) reveal that the longitudinal crack is now closed but that some displacement of the other bone fractures remains. No further intervention appears necessary. The bone will eventually heal in another 3-5 weeks with some residual bone deformity. The surgical wound has essentially healed. There was considerable swelling and some blistering of the skin after surgery. I've felt little or no pain throughout this experience. My only concern is how the bone will eventually heal and if there will be lasting effects.

Comment from: Judy, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

I dropped a metal ramp on my toes. The toe next to the big toe is hurting very badly. I have ice on it, but the pain is not letting up.

Comment from: Flicker, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

Over the summer, my sisters, and two of our friends went to play at a park in our town. I was standing on a hill, barefoot, (I'm always barefoot whenever possible) when one of my sisters decided to jump on my friend's back, while knocking his knee out from under him. The other friend was holding his arm, but she couldn't keep the two from falling. My sister jumped off, but the friend who fell right onto my pinky toe. It bruised within a half hour in all sorts of weird shades, but I just assumed it was jammed. After a few minutes of holding my toe and whining, and a few hours of favoring it, I still couldn't walk in a way I was used to, but again, I thought nothing of it.

Comment from: -X-, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I slipped on a (obviously) slippery rock while entering water for a swim, hit my pointer toe at the rock (i think, it happened fast and I didn't even feel the pain at start). I didn't think it was broken, so I just got up and went for a swim. Then I went to eat something and went to work. That's when I took another look at it and I was sure it was broken (possibly in multiple areas). It not only swollen even more, changed color to blue/purlple-ish, but also got weird patterns on the skin surface. Oh, and it hurt like hell. The worst part was that I had to work for 8 hours before I could get home and maybe put some ice on it. Then I slept for maybe 5-6 hours and then back to work, where I am at the moment.

Broken Toe - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?