Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: marysing, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 60 years old, grandma. I broke my third toe on my right foot while going up stairs. Missed the step. It hurt, on scale 1 to 10, I must say a 10 plus. The toe turned a deep purple and could not bend. I went to the emergency room (ER) and was sent for x-ray. There was a fracture at the base of the toe. I buddied up the toe to the toe next to it with tape. Good support. It is painful to walk but I rested the foot as often as I could. Time will only heal it. I broke my second toe on my left foot years ago. Hit a fire place. I ended up in ER, had x-rays, and two freezing needles. The doctor and nurse put the toe back together. My toe is now healing, can bend it somewhat.

Comment from: tracie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

This morning I jammed my toe on the leg of my coffee table, it is the toe next to the little toe on my left foot. Throughout the day it has swelled and turned black. I have diabetes and neuropathy, my neuropathy is not always numbness, sometimes it is just major pain. Now that I am pretty sure my toe is broken, and I have had several battles with cellulitis, even getting as bad as sepsis, I am a small bit concerned about an injured bone. I am also right at the moment keeping my eyes open because I fear I am once again starting to see some symptoms of the cellulitis.

Comment from: Cherie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I stubbed my second toe on a magazine rack in the dark at night. It hurt, but I ignored it and went to bed. The next day the toe was leaning toward my big toe, like it might be broken at the base. When I wore my shoes, it hurt and got a red sore spot where it was bent. I figured it was broken, so I taped it to the toe next to it in hopes of fixing it. That helped with the pain when walking or standing. I never went to a doctor with this problem, just kept taping three of my toes together. That helped a lot, but when it wasn't taped, it hurt again. I developed a gout problem and the doctor x-rayed my foot and said it wasn't broken. He didn't explain why it was bent. I still tape my toes because they are no better.

Comment from: HealingWell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was doing a handstand in the dining room. When I came down, I whacked my foot on the table. It really hurt! My pinkie toe proximal phalanx broke all the way through. It was displaced at an angle, but went back to place when I taped my toes together. When I got an x-ray it still looked like it was crooked but the doctor says it is close enough since the broken pieces are touching. It's been one week and the swelling and bruising has gone down a lot, but I still have to wear the boot for 5 more weeks to keep the toe from moving.

Comment from: MoriKen, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I was just walking through my house as usual, I'm a really clumsy person so I'm not surprised, I swung my right leg out and broke my pinky toe right on a bookshelf in the hallway. Only twice in my life have I blacked out, once from low blood pressure at an amusement park and earlier from this toe. I never expected a broken toe to hurt so badly, and my mother says they don't hurt. I knew it was broken immediately when I looked down and saw it sticking at an angle. I have very close toes so that kind of freaked me out.

Comment from: kruzers, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I jammed my big toe by accident into the bottom of the molding of my wall of my house. Now it's been 2 weeks and sometimes I can walk on it gingerly, but most times it hurts to walk on it. I think I either broke or sprained it, but with my schedule, it's crazy and can't just sit for a day. But I try to prop it up every time I sit down at home, not at work. It is bigger, so that means the swelling hasn't got down at all. I wonder if I should just wrap it with my 2nd toe or go get x-rays, but usually those are a waste of time.

Comment from: Nanci1024, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was walking when it was raining with slippers (zories) when I just turned wrong and slid and my toe broke. It was so bad and I should have gone to the doctor because it broke off at the first knuckle and now that part is growing on the side of my toe. Since I have nerve damage in my feet, and don't always feel it, I just live with it. I may later on down the life have surgery just to correct it.

Broken Toe - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?