Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: kruzers, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I jammed my big toe by accident into the bottom of the molding of my wall of my house. Now it's been 2 weeks and sometimes I can walk on it gingerly, but most times it hurts to walk on it. I think I either broke or sprained it, but with my schedule, it's crazy and can't just sit for a day. But I try to prop it up every time I sit down at home, not at work. It is bigger, so that means the swelling hasn't got down at all. I wonder if I should just wrap it with my 2nd toe or go get x-rays, but usually those are a waste of time.

Comment from: Nanci1024, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was walking when it was raining with slippers (zories) when I just turned wrong and slid and my toe broke. It was so bad and I should have gone to the doctor because it broke off at the first knuckle and now that part is growing on the side of my toe. Since I have nerve damage in my feet, and don't always feel it, I just live with it. I may later on down the life have surgery just to correct it.

Comment from: cjyounts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was making up my bed, as I was walking around the bed to finish the other side there was a pillow in the floor with the open side of the pillow case facing me. So, I tried to step over the pillow when my big toe on my right foot gets caught on the opening of the pillow case. Trying to avoid falling I pulled my toe out of the case, my big toe bent under my foot and hit knuckle first with all my weight. I know I broke it, but emergency room (ER) x-rays showed no break. Three months later it is still swollen and horrible sharp pain shoots up my foot. MRI showed break not healing. I am getting ready to try tissue stimulation at home for 6 weeks. Awesome.

Comment from: Gmcdo20148, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I walked into the rocking chair in the middle of the night on December 10th, fractured my toe and it turned a nice shade of purple. I taped toes together, iced it and then had warm foot baths. It is March 18th and it is still red and deformed. I can"t bend it at all; the toe next to big toe on the left foot. The doctor did nothing. I am diabetic.

Comment from: LeeBee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have broken toes many times in my life and yesterday just jammed my little toe into a coffee table and I"m pretty sure it"s broken because moving it in certain positions is very painful. That said, I can still walk and am not concerned. I taped it to the toe next to it for stability which is what has always been the treatment I received when I visited a doctor for a broken toe. In my experience, it can take a long time to heal but doesn"t have to be too incapacitating - especially the little toe. I used ice right away and have been also keeping elevated as much as possible and took a bunch of Ibuprofen this morning.

Comment from: Ouch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I had open fracture of the big toe after a piece of furniture landed on it. My big toenail split in half with blood gushing out everywhere. The worst part was getting the bloody dried gauze off of my broken nail in the emergency room. They eventually got it off by soaking the gauze in hydrogen peroxide. After this, a doctor stuck a needle into the bottom of my toe and then another needle into the top of my toe to numb it enough to take a look at it and clean the wound. The needles hurt like heck causing me to scream out in pain. I am on antibiotics and pain medications with an appointment to see an orthopedic foot specialist tomorrow.

Comment from: Mar, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I cut the back of big toe. I lost toenail and the toe was broken. I have major swelling on area under toes. Big toe is not swollen.

Comment from: star#1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I stubbed a toe on my left foot, the toe that is next to the little toe. This happened nine days ago and it doesn't appear to be getting any better. All of the toes on the foot as well as the whole foot are swollen and I haven't been able to wear shoes for over a week. I'm not sure why the foot as well as all of the toes on my left foot are swollen when it was just the one toe that was injured. I tried ibuprofen and propping my foot up but nothing seems to help.

Broken Toe - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?