Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: rees05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

Yes, I was getting ready for work and hit my 4th toe (next to the pinky) on the exercise bike that is in my living room. It hurt really bad. I went to work even though I was in pain. A week later my toe was swollen and throbbing with sharp pain. I kept saying that it was broken, I went to an Express Care and the doctor told me that it was just a contusion. Not satisfied with his diagnosis I went to the hospital, got an x-ray and had an orthopedic doctor look at my toe and they confirmed that the toe had a fracture in the exact place that I kept pointing at.

Comment from: Pinky pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I was going around barefoot and ran into a heavy table sitting on end. I knew it was broken because it was pointing east and west while my foot was headed north and south. When I asked my sister, a nurse, to put it back in place, she said "no". I slid my foot along the floor and did it myself. There has been quite a bit of pain. As long as I keep my shoe off as much as possible and my foot off, it is bearable. I have burning sensation if I walk too much. It has been two weeks and 2 days.

Comment from: N/A, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I broke my left foot pinky toe when I crashed my left foot on the dining chair leg. The heavy chair moved and so did my pinky toe. I went to the emergency room and the doctor confirmed that my pinky is broken. She applied buddy taping and gave splint shoe to wear and told me it will take weeks to cure. So I am grounded for around 6 weeks.

Comment from: 1776, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

All I did was walk across my carpeted living room floor with my shoes and socks on and got a severe sharp pain in the middle of my big toe. It began to swell so I put ice on it and elevated it. The next day it hurt but looked okay. The following day it was all purple and black on the outer side. The next day it was black on the other side of my toe. This all started on a Wednesday, so Monday I called my foot doctor. He took several X-rays and sure enough it was broken from one end of the joint to the other. He had me have a bone density scan because I have osteopenia. The scan showed just a very small amount of difference since my last scan. He put my foot in a surgical boot for 5 weeks. The bruising is gone, but the boot really doesn't seem like it's helping, still very painful.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I walked into a doorjamb and broke my pinky toe. Not my first broken toe, and unfortunately probably won't be my last. This was three weeks ago, and I still can't wear a closed-toe shoe. No mani-pedi because it's SO sensitive. It's still swollen, and the next-door toes are still bruised. I'm getting tired of wearing thong sandals. I'm very encouraged to know in another few weeks this will be a distant memory. Getting better every day. Wasn't that a Beatles song?

Comment from: kickenit, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I broke my pinky toe on my right foot on 02/15. It was obviously broken and sticking out to the side of my foot. X-rays revealed the break and I had to have surgery to place a pin in the toe to straighten it. The pin was removed on 03/19 but the break has not healed. My foot stays swollen all the time and my toe turns a blue sometimes. I just want it to heal. I have to immediately get off the foot as soon as I get home.

Comment from: Goaliechic, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

Seven months ago I collided with another player during a soccer game and injured my big toe on my right foot. Knowing that the doctors do nothing for this I opted to ignore it and just tape it until it started to feel better. After about 4-5 months I started to get frustrated and consulted a doctor about it. He sent me for x-rays which showed a shadow but he wasn't sure so he sent me for a CT scan. Seven months later I have found out I have a non-union fracture of the joint where the big toe attaches to the foot. He told me this will require surgery to repair. This really scares me. It seems a little extreme since doctors normally don't do anything for toes anyway. Lesson learned from this; see a doctor no matter how silly it seems at the time. If anyone has experienced this and had surgery or any other option please let me know. I'd like to know your story and if there are any other options.

Broken Toe - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?