Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Abnormal Toe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

This weekend while turning to go to the waste basket in my bathroom I ran my foot into my garden tub. Three toes were impacted but only the little toe broke. I heard the snap and now my toe nail on that toe is pointing toward the side of my foot instead of up on top like it should be. It is purple which is what happens every time I break a bone. I have put tape on it and turned the toe nail back to its normal position and taped the toe to the other and put an additional wrap around my foot to make sure it does not move. I will keep it this way until the toe nail does not try and turn back to the side of the foot. Once I got it back into position and it is immobile there is only slight pain when I go to step certain ways. If this does not adhere or start to heal I will seek an orthopedic doctor to see what can be done.

Comment from: Ouch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I had a draft horse, 1800 lb., stand on my right foot. It broke a metatarsal bone in my foot and crushed my 4th toe as per hospital x-ray. It has been 3 weeks. I still can't wear a shoe and the toe is losing its skin. It hurts unbelievably. Hospital told me to stay off, but can't for much longer. My foot is now healed but toe is so swollen.

Comment from: Vna, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I tripped over a wire in the dark on New Year's Eve, it did hurt but I did not think too much of it. Three weeks later it did still hurt but not as much, but it felt strange. So I went to get the toe x-rayed, not only was it broken but was also displaced. I had surgery with two pins. I can't wear a regular shoe, nor can I bicycle which I do 4 or 5 times a week. That is why I did not want to see the doctor in the first place because six weeks without riding is no fun for someone who is active and addicted to exercise! It is unfortunately my seventh fracture!

Comment from: msJKL, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I was jumping on a trampoline and heard a snap; sure enough, I'd broken a chip off my right big toe just at the joint. My general physician referred me to an orthopedist but they declined to see me, and just advised me to use an orthopedic shoe and go easy for a few weeks. It did seem to heal, but then 3 months after the break I re-injured it, and the very next day I broke my left 5th metatarsal, falling off a stair step, because I'm just that graceful. So, I had to hop around using crutches and putting all my weight on my newly re-injured right big toe. It's now been 5 months (2 since the left foot fracture and toe re-injury) and my left foot is healed but the right toe still hurts constantly. Not badly, but enough to affect my walking gait and endurance. I'm seeing an orthopedist again tomorrow (they deigned to finally see me after I broke the left foot) and will ask for another x-ray. I hope the toe is showing signs of healing and I don't have a nonunion going on.

Comment from: marysing, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 60 years old, grandma. I broke my third toe on my right foot while going up stairs. Missed the step. It hurt, on scale 1 to 10, I must say a 10 plus. The toe turned a deep purple and could not bend. I went to the emergency room (ER) and was sent for x-ray. There was a fracture at the base of the toe. I buddied up the toe to the toe next to it with tape. Good support. It is painful to walk but I rested the foot as often as I could. Time will only heal it. I broke my second toe on my left foot years ago. Hit a fire place. I ended up in ER, had x-rays, and two freezing needles. The doctor and nurse put the toe back together. My toe is now healing, can bend it somewhat.

Comment from: tracie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

This morning I jammed my toe on the leg of my coffee table, it is the toe next to the little toe on my left foot. Throughout the day it has swelled and turned black. I have diabetes and neuropathy, my neuropathy is not always numbness, sometimes it is just major pain. Now that I am pretty sure my toe is broken, and I have had several battles with cellulitis, even getting as bad as sepsis, I am a small bit concerned about an injured bone. I am also right at the moment keeping my eyes open because I fear I am once again starting to see some symptoms of the cellulitis.

Comment from: Cherie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I stubbed my second toe on a magazine rack in the dark at night. It hurt, but I ignored it and went to bed. The next day the toe was leaning toward my big toe, like it might be broken at the base. When I wore my shoes, it hurt and got a red sore spot where it was bent. I figured it was broken, so I taped it to the toe next to it in hopes of fixing it. That helped with the pain when walking or standing. I never went to a doctor with this problem, just kept taping three of my toes together. That helped a lot, but when it wasn't taped, it hurt again. I developed a gout problem and the doctor x-rayed my foot and said it wasn't broken. He didn't explain why it was bent. I still tape my toes because they are no better.

Broken Toe - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Diagnosis Question: How was your broken toe diagnosed?
Broken Toe - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your broken toe?
Broken Toe - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you see a doctor for your broken toe(s)? Did you see a podiatrist or another kind of doctor?