Patient Comments: Broken Foot - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience when you broke your foot?

Comment from: dsmith, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had instant burning pain, knowing immediately it was hurt. Swelling and severe bruising came next, then I realized that I could not put weight on my foot. I thought my foot was only sprained, since I had a range of motion - I was wrong! One week later the X-ray showed three broken toes.

Comment from: ladybugnms, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I was in an automobile accident. Not only did it break my heel bone it knocked half my teeth out shattered my right hand, broke my right wrist and broke the bone from my elbow to my shoulder. All 3 was fixed with surgery and hardware. It also ruptured 3 disk in my lower back. I had been in the hospital for two days before they looked at my foot after I had told them several times it was broken. They took a CT scan to look at it. All they did was wrap it, no cast, nothing. It stayed swollen for months, at first it was almost the size of a watermelon and was black; it looked and felt horrible and it hurt badly. It's been 5 years, it has not healed properly and hurts all the time. I feel I was mistreated by the doctor, he could have done more.

Comment from: Sports lover, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I only had a dime-sized tender spot on the top of my foot. The bottom of my foot felt like the bone had dropped down, and it had, but it was not painful. After ice packs on and off for 24 hours, it was still swollen. I got an x-ray for safe keeping and was surprised it was broken. I later read that the small circular ache on top of the foot can be indicative of a stress fracture.

Comment from: Bea, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I thought I may have sprained my ankle when I fell. But there was no pain with weight bearing, and there was no swelling or bruising. Four days later, I have moderate pain in the metatarsal area. Now nine days later, the pain is significantly worse and there's moderate swelling each evening.

Broken Foot - Cause Question: How did you break your foot?
Broken Foot - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you receive that led to a diagnosis of a broken foot?
Broken Foot - Treatment Question: What types of treatment did you receive when you broke your foot? Did you wear a cast or Reese shoe?
Broken Foot - Complications Question: What complications did you experience related to your broken foot?