Patient Comments: Broken Foot - Cause

How did you break your foot?

Comment from: dsmith, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I broke my foot while surfing, when my right, front foot hit the surfboard with the top of my foot.

Comment from: brokedown mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

My husband has a bad habit of leaving his shoes right in front of the door. This time he left them at the back door that steps down into the porch, so I stepped out, landed right into his shoe, and down I went! I had 2 fractures of the big toe and a mid-fracture of the 5th metatarsal. I am still getting used to the crutches, today is day 2. I'm 46 and this is the first time I've ever broken a bone, can't say I'm enjoying this.

Comment from: Laurie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I slammed on the breaks of my car and rear ended someone. I hit the brakes so hard with my right foot and then walked on it for about a week. The pain was excruciating. The doctor and the nurse couldn't believe I walked on it. I had broken the bone which is on the right side of the foot and also broken the second toe. I had to have a cast to my knee and they could not put a cast on the toe and had to wear the boot.

Comment from: sports lover, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I broke my foot running. I am a regular runner but was taking a long run and ran through the woods and over some uneven ground, flexing my foot a bit as I went over roots and rocks. A mile or two later the middle top of my foot started to ache. To play it safe, I walked home. After 24 hours of ice packs it was still swollen and starting to turn red. I did not believe it was broken, but it was more than stress-fractured, it was broken and displaced! No attempt was made to set it. I was just given a boot to wear and told not to lift any weight for 1 month. It is healing well, especially, they said, because it was the middle metatarsal. I was surprised that it barely hurt, it just ached a bit. Without the precautionary x-ray, I would not have ever believed it was broken.

Comment from: IndianaPatty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I missed a step... Five bumps down the stairs later I had terrible pain in my foot with lovely colors of blues purples. My husband took me to the emergency room and I had an x-ray, which showed the broken bone. They "gave" me a cute little black boot, which helps some. The best therapy is rest, ice, and elevation. I expect to be well by October 1!

Comment from: Enna noddens, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I dropped a large can of pumpkin on the top of my foot. There was no blood but a lot of pain. I hobbled around for a few days until the pain subsided. It still hurts from time to time.

Comment from: Tuez, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I was very drunk and fell over on my heels when the song 'Get Low' was on.

Comment from: Joe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

While walking I heard a snap like stepping on an acorn; two middle toes were black and blue and I had pain in middle of foot.

Comment from: Najmul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

I just woke up one day and had sharp pain in my right foot, had an X-ray done to find fracture in there Metatarsal bone. I did not have any impact nor there was an excessive force on the foot then I am unable to understand how this fracture has occurred.

Comment from: Nana, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I missed a step, turned my foot, and went down.

Broken Foot - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience when you broke your foot?
Broken Foot - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you receive that led to a diagnosis of a broken foot?
Broken Foot - Treatment Question: What types of treatment did you receive when you broke your foot? Did you wear a cast or Reese shoe?
Broken Foot - Complications Question: What complications did you experience related to your broken foot?