Patient Comments: Broken Finger - Experience

Please describe your experience with a broken finger.

Comment from: HelpIsOnTheWay, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

I just recovered from a broken thumb. When you have a broken thumb, the middle part will usually stick out. Mine broke when my daughter pushed me while I did a front flip and I landed on my thumb. It was so painful. It got numb and started throbbing. I would immediately seek medical assistance.

Comment from: Chesapeake, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I got my index finger caught between two shopping carts slamming together, a couple of months ago. I thought the pain and swelling in the joint between the intermediate and distal end of the index finger was just a sprain so I did not go to doctor. Now the joint is permanently swollen twice the size of my other index finger joint and I am unable to curl my finger closed all the way, and I notice I cannot lift weight with it.

Comment from: JJ, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I broke my middle finger when i was 5 years old. My mum never took me to a doctor only tapped it for a few weeks. I'm now 18 and the damage is still clear, the top of the finger is bent facing right and has a bump on the left side of the top. I rarely rarely have pain and if so it is very very slight and very bearable but I am scared that when I grow older I will get arthritis. I keep asking to go to a doctor but my parents say that they can't afford the treatment that maybe required to fix my finger and it they don't wont it to effect my schooling, if the surgery is intense.

Broken Finger - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with a broken finger?
Broken Finger - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your broken finger?
Broken Finger - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests that led to a diagnosis of a broken finger.
Broken Finger - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with your broken finger?