Patient Comments: Broken Bone - Surgery

Please describe your experience with surgery for a broken bone.

Comment from: coachnick1, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I am 41 years old. I was pitching a baseball for my men's baseball team. During the sixth inning, I threw a pitch and heard and felt my arm snap. The break was so loud that both teams could hear it from the dugout. As soon as it happened, it took a few seconds to register what had occurred, followed by tremendous pain. I had no control of my arm but could feel both bones rubbing. Initially, upon arriving to the emergency room, I was informed by the emergency room doctor that I would need surgery immediately. However, the emergency room surgeon said my fracture would heal on its own. After being shot up with two shots of morphine, I was sent home. Fortunately, I was able to see my doctor the following day and was in surgery within two hours after seeing him. As he informed me, surgery should have been done the night I went into the emergency room. It's been a month since my surgery and after having four screws placed in my arm, I work fine. However, I still have what is known as radial nerve palsy, but I'm improving every day.

Comment from: Gracie01, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I fell off my front steps and landed with my left leg under me. I heard and felt a loud pop, but did not have any pain. I thought it was just sprained, so I walked up a flight of stairs. It really did not look swollen, but I went to the ER and was surprised to learn I had fractured my tibia (left side) and tore all the tendons on the right side of my ankle. It did not hurt until they splinted it, and then it was unbearable. It took four surgeries and almost 1 ½ years of on-weight-bearing therapy to heal, but now I am worried that I may have a stress fracture due to pain along my lower leg and ankle on my left side.

Comment from: Alicia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I fractured my lateral tibia plateau and tore my meniscus when 3 large dogs ran right into my leg at a dog park. When I got to the hospital they x ray reveled that I would need surgery. After one week and second opinion I had surgery I now have seven screws one of which went right through and out the other side of my bone. This concerns me that it doesn't cause any future problems. I'm a 57 year old physically fit woman and now the Doctor wants me to go on a drug you inject into you daily. Which I'm against. I think the reason for the break was the force of impact was like getting hit by a car.

Broken Bone - Cause Question: What was the cause of a broken bone?
Broken Bone - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of the bone or bones you broke?
Broken Bone - Treatment Question: How was the bone you broke treated?
Broken Bone - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with broken bones (fracture)?