Patient Comments: Broken Bone - Cause

What was the cause of a broken bone?

A Doctor's View on Broken Bone Causes

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

Broken bone causes can occur for a variety of diseases, conditions, trauma, accidents, genetic inheritance, and accidents. Examples of these include falls, accidents, head injuries, overuse injuries, poor oral health, bone disease (osteoporosis), and accidents. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Liz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

am a seventy one year old female. I have never in my life had a broken bone until this event. I was visiting my daughter and she has two huge labrador retriever dogs. They were running and wrestling with each other and heading right for me. They both hit me and I went flying over the two of them. I hit the ground and it took the breath out of me and my biggest fear was I had just had revision surgery on the same leg. I went to emergency the next day as I felt I had just sprained my ankle but it was a spiral fracture. I have been in an air cast an am able to walk on it. I am going into my eighth week and still feeling pain from it. I see my Dr. on the 9th of Jan. and it might just need more healing time. When you get older you have to be aware of your footings and especially active dogs.

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am a 70-year-old female of normal weight who fell in our 5th wheel trailer and fractured my femur in five places. I was hurrying down the stairs from the bedroom area and slipped on the bottom hardwood stair (I was barefooted), and landed badly. My kneecap was hanging off to the side (the paramedics reported). I spent 33 days in hospital, and am slowly recovering, but my leg is bowed and shorter than the other.

Comment from: Dee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I fell on my right arm and it became bright purple. I was told I had a hair line fracture and to keep my arm in a brace and it will heal. It is still painful after two years.

Comment from: EBabba, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am a 46 year old female with a spiral fracture on my right ankle that happened 4 years ago, but last Oct I had the hardware removed from my ankle. I was in a car accident in Dec. they said i sprained the ankle and was sent to PT plus meds to help with the swelling, pain and redness around the scar. It has been 11 months since the accident and still having pain, swelling and redness around the scar plus it is very sensitive to touch. I have been back to the doctor that removed the hardware but says he cannot do anymore for me. Need your help on what to do for my ankle.

Broken Bone - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of the bone or bones you broke?
Broken Bone - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for a broken bone.
Broken Bone - Treatment Question: How was the bone you broke treated?
Broken Bone - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with broken bones (fracture)?