Patient Comments: Bone Fracture - Surgery

Did you have surgery to fix your broken bone(s)? Which bone(s) did you fracture?

Comment from: dee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I broke both my fibia and tibia in a fall 9 months ago. I had surgery which included having plates/pins put in. I have been having x/rays every 6 to 8 weeks as it seemed that one of my breaks wasn't healing as quick as it should. I had a gut feeling that something wasn't right with my fracture to which I found out when I had my most recent x/ray, yesterday. The consultant who participated in my op told me that one pin had detached from my bone and the other pin was on its way out and that my broken bone was actually holding on by a 'thread' and could fail at anytime. I am in constant pain and now I know why. But I would like to know whether the op wasn't done properly in the first place and how long has my pins been like this and they haven't noticed because on my last scan from 8 weeks ago it was never mentioned that my pins had detached. I think I need a second opinion on this one.

Broken Bone - Cause Question: What was the cause of a broken bone?
Broken Bone - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of the bone or bones you broke?
Broken Bone - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for a broken bone.
Broken Bone - Treatment Question: How was the bone you broke treated?
Broken Bone - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with broken bones (fracture)?