- First Aid Essentials Slideshow Pictures
- Trauma and First Aid Quiz
- First Aid Sprains & Strains Slideshow Pictures
- Patient Comments: Broken Bone - Cause
- Patient Comments: Broken Bone - Signs and Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Broken Bone - Surgery
- Find a local Doctor in your town
- What is a broken bone (fracture)?
- What causes a broken bone?
- What are the most common types of broken bones?
- Compression fracture
- Skull fracture
- Stress fracture
- What are the most common bones that are broken?
- Broken hand or fingers
- Broken wrist
- Broken hip
- Broken leg
- Broken toe
- Broken shoulder
- What are the signs and symptoms of a broken bone?
- When should I call a doctor if I think I have broken a bone?
- How is a broken bone diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for a broken bone?
- What about surgery for a broken bone?
- How can fractures be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for a broken bone?
What is the prognosis for a broken bone?
Fractures are a common injury, but the prognosis depends upon the bone that is broken, the location of the break, whether any complications exist and the underlying medical condition of the individual. Most arm and leg fractures heal well, and the goal is for the person to return to their baseline level of activity.
Medically reviewed by Aimee V. HachigianGould, MD; American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Randsborg P, et al. Fractures in Children: Epidemiology and Activity – Specific Fracture Rates. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2013 Apr 03;95(7).