Patient Comments: Dental Bridge - Patient Experience

Do you have a dental bridge? Please describe your experience with the process.

Comment from: mikkie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have a dental bridge put in about 3 weeks ago. I have not been able to eat on that side and the pain is like having a toothache. I was given medication for pain because my gums are still sore, and I was told it was bruised. If I had known what I know now, I probably would have lived with the missing to tooth. I have gone for 2 adjustments and will return on Monday for a 3rd adjustment.

Comment from: old bridge, 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 22

I have had a dental bridge for about 35 years. I had it put in when I was about 21 years old. The pros are that it is pain free and has lasted a long time. However, no-one explained to me that when you get a bridge you no longer have the option of orthodontic work and if your teeth are crooked when the bridge goes in you must have it removed before straightening. Also there is a line of black showing at the bottom of the bridge which is very ugly. And it is also very difficult to floss under the bridge which leads to gum disease. The healthy teeth at either side of the bridge had to be ground down to tiny stubs to anchor the bridge, so two healthy teeth were sacrificed, again something not explained to me before the procedure. I feel an implant for the missing tooth would have been a far better option. But 35 years ago implants were not done.

Comment from: Nikolay Toporov, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I had fixed dental bridge on top jaw. In 2 years it got cracked. After repair, bridge lasted around 1 year and was cracked again. This time my dentist just pretended he was doing repairing, but only glued teeth. Worse thing happened after. Bridge looks not tied. In a few days the bridge changed, it started being too much tied; more and more, usually under vibration of my body. Finally started unbelievable pain; looks like bridge going inside my jaw.

Comment from: Sockeye, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I have two bridges. One done in California around 1985 and one done in Texas in 2000. The first, I had to have a tooth removed. So it was a little more unpleasant. On the whole, I did not experience anything more unusual than getting a cavity filled (If that). It is now 2015 and no problems on either one.

Comment from: Krish, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 18

My metallic dental bridge was fixed on the last 3 teeth, in between tooth was missing, wisdom tooth was removed on the right side. After 8 years, I felt pain on crown. Dentist found no reason and pain subsided. Again after 2 months, pain was terrific and I showed it to the dentist. Root canals were checked with x-ray for 2 supporting teeth and found ok. Then deep cleaning was performed on and under the bridge by dentist to check if it works. This happened 4 weeks ago. I am better and I hope it works but advised to eat cautiously on that side.

Comment from: sl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have pain after I had my bridge put in, it seems like it's a tooth ache.