Patient Comments: Breast Lumps In Women - Diagnosis

Please describe the diagnosis of the breast lumps in your breast(s).

Comment from: giel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

After reading almost all the stories here on, I have been worried on my breast lump and the pain I feel and all the symptoms, that it might be a breast cancer. In February 2015 I finally went to see my general physician (GP). At first she said she thought it was nothing, it was so small she hardly could feel it. She didn't feel actually but I took her finger and let her feel the lump and she said it might be because of my period being almost due. I went back home and started to make myself relax. My period is over but I am still in pain that goes to my armpit into my collar bone, my shoulder and in my hands. So I went back to her again on March 4, 2015 and this time I asked if I could go at least for an ultrasound, and she gave an appointment. I called my insurance and set an ultrasound over a Monday. I waited to get an appointment last Sunday, April 12, 2015. The radiologist said I have a 5 mm suspicious tumor that needed a biopsy as soon as possible! He asked me to go back to my GP and set an appointment with a breast surgeon. I am scared but who wouldn't be when you hear of tumor.

Comment from: Lumpy Lucy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

Twenty years ago, when I was 23, I was pregnant with my first child and found a lump in my right breast. The lump was not painful, nor did it have any swelling or redness typical for mastitis. Despite that, my doctor tentatively diagnosed it as such and told me to wait until after the baby was born and I started nursing for the lump to go away. Needless to say, the lump continued to grow while still remaining asymptomatic. When my baby was three weeks old, I initiated another visit which culminated in a mammogram. I could tell during the procedure that the technicians were disturbed by what they saw. However, my doctor still claimed I had nothing to worry about, so I requested a second opinion. The next doctored scheduled a biopsy. Thankfully, the tumor was nothing more than a fibroadenoma. What had concerned them was the fact that it had shown calcification in the center, which is a sign of cancer. Apparently they deducted that the calcification was due to the tumor being so large (the size of a pear) and dying off in the middle. Fast forward twenty years and a ton of self-breast exams. I found a small mass in my right breast last night. This one feels different than the lump I had removed and vastly different than my typically fibrous breast tissue. It's pea sized and static, meaning it feels attached to the tissue around it rather than being moveable like fibrous tissue. So, I called the doctor this morning and scheduled an appointment for tomorrow along with a mammogram. I guess I'm thankful for the first tumor in that I learned to take control instead of simply letting the doctor 'assure' me everything was normal when I knew it wasn't. I suspect that if the doctor doesn't ask for an ultrasound or biopsy, I will. As an aside, the doctor all those years ago held onto the ideal that a) I was too young to worry about it, b) nobody in my immediate family had any history of breast cancer, and c) I was low risk due to not drinking, smoking or being on the pill. While it turned out to be a benign tumor, it still increased my chances of more tumors due to the calcification factor. I don't think I would have been as vigilant with self-exams had I not had that history to remind me. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

Comment from: Gmatwice, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I discovered a painful lump on Sunday and wrote a note in my chart to my doctor. I had an appointment Monday. On Friday I had a diagnostic mammogram and Doppler and on the next Tuesday I had a biopsy done and the next day got the results, benign. I was put on antibiotics and saw a breast surgeon the next Wednesday and the lump is shrinking. It all went so fast, I didn't have time to think.

Comment from: halesmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I am a 53-year-old, recently menopausal woman, who was diagnosed with cellulitis of the right breast four weeks ago. I took antibiotics for 20 days and all signs of infection had disappeared six or seven days before I finished the medicine. I was left with a hard lump, which does not move and does not hurt. Both ultrasounds I have had do not suggest cancer, neither does the diagnostic mammogram. The mammo report says further testing is required; however, my doctor, a breast surgeon, has decided to wait another month because she says hard tissue can remain after an infection, and she thinks that is what this is. Basically, that means if the lump is still there in another month, I will finally get a biopsy and should it show something, I will have wasted nine weeks of treatment time because my lump isn't usual. To doctors who may read this: Don't torture your patients. If a lump is present without infection, or as in my case, if there is no reason for the infection, do a biopsy right away for the peace of mind it can bring. The Internet is full of stories of women who were assured from a mammogram and an ultrasound that they were fine.

Breast Lumps (In Women) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your breast lumps?
Breast Lumps - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your breast lumps?
Breast Lumps in Women - Injuries Question: Did you injure your breast? If it formed a lump, did you have it examined? What was the outcome?
Breast Lumps in Women - Benign Lumps Question: Please share your experience with the discovery and diagnosis of non-cancerous breast lumps.