Patient Comments: Breast Lumps In Women - Diagnosis

Please describe the diagnosis of the breast lumps in your breast(s).

Comment from: halesmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I am a 53-year-old, recently menopausal woman, who was diagnosed with cellulitis of the right breast four weeks ago. I took antibiotics for 20 days and all signs of infection had disappeared six or seven days before I finished the medicine. I was left with a hard lump, which does not move and does not hurt. Both ultrasounds I have had do not suggest cancer, neither does the diagnostic mammogram. The mammo report says further testing is required; however, my doctor, a breast surgeon, has decided to wait another month because she says hard tissue can remain after an infection, and she thinks that is what this is. Basically, that means if the lump is still there in another month, I will finally get a biopsy and should it show something, I will have wasted nine weeks of treatment time because my lump isn't usual. To doctors who may read this: Don't torture your patients. If a lump is present without infection, or as in my case, if there is no reason for the infection, do a biopsy right away for the peace of mind it can bring. The Internet is full of stories of women who were assured from a mammogram and an ultrasound that they were fine.

Comment from: Debra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I did self-examination this morning. I felt a mass in the lower bottom of my breast. I've had a benign cyst removed before when I was much younger.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I'm a 45 year old mother. I had a mammo done in late December of 2009. A lump was found on my right breast 1.5 cm. The breast ultrasound confirmed it required further attention. I was sent to get it biopsied. The biopsy did not hit a malignancy, however was undeterminable. It is recommended I have it removed. I am scheduled to meet and discuss the procedure with my breast surgeon on 2/17/2010. 2 months have passed since the Mammo, still not sure what I have, the pathology report called it an undetermined neoplasm -- the doctor who did the biopsy said it may be a phyllode tumor. Phyllode Tumors are considered a form of Breast Cancer even if benign. The process just takes too long to determine. It causes too much stress on me and my family. There should be a faster way to get results and things done.

Comment from: Kim D, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I just turned 40 this year and found a lump in my left breast. I scheduled my annual exam and was then scheduled a diagnostic mammogram (rather than just a screening mammogram). They performed an ultrasound at the same time. I was told that there was density and it was probably just a fibroadenoma but would need a biopsy to be sure. I had the biopsy and that was all that it was. But that time waiting is excruciating! Reading articles like on MedicineNet was helpful to try to prepare mentally for various outcomes.

Comment from: CTC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was recently diagnosed with a benign brain tumor that increased my prolactin hormone. I discovered that while on the medication that my breast had gotten sensitive and feels slightly abnormal on the inside. I have had physicals where my family doctor initiated a breast exam on a yearly basis. But I feel abnormalities such as a mass nearly the same size of my breast. I have not had a discharge but I still produce milk from my breast. When I ask my endocrinologist about the medication that I am taking maybe the milk is drying up and she does not know and told me to see an OB/GYN.

Comment from: Heidi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I am 30 and found a lump in my breast 3 weeks ago and thought nothing of if, as I have endometriosis and thought it was maybe hormonal! A few days ago I told my obstetrician and he said I must to go to my general physician (GP). The GP has referred me to the breast clinic, so I am now terrified. It"s in my right breast, it"s a hard pea size with an inch stem! The waiting is extremely worrying for me, all I can think about is my children!

Breast Lumps (In Women) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your breast lumps?
Breast Lumps - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your breast lumps?
Breast Lumps in Women - Injuries Question: Did you injure your breast? If it formed a lump, did you have it examined? What was the outcome?
Breast Lumps in Women - Benign Lumps Question: Please share your experience with the discovery and diagnosis of non-cancerous breast lumps.