Patient Comments: Breast Lumps In Women - Diagnosis

Please describe the diagnosis of the breast lumps in your breast(s).

Comment from: Debra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I did self-examination this morning. I felt a mass in the lower bottom of my breast. I've had a benign cyst removed before when I was much younger.

Comment from: Barbara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I started having very tender feeling almost like pain in my nipples and then I felt a lump in my left breast. It grew overnight and it has a bruise showing on the outside under the nipple where the lump is.

Comment from: Jordan j, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My partner found a lump in her breast months ago and has only just seen a doctor and is now really worried.

Comment from: jay, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

My breast lump is under the breast, inside and now a bit painful because I'm weaning off my baby.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I'm a 45 year old mother. I had a mammo done in late December of 2009. A lump was found on my right breast 1.5 cm. The breast ultrasound confirmed it required further attention. I was sent to get it biopsied. The biopsy did not hit a malignancy, however was undeterminable. It is recommended I have it removed. I am scheduled to meet and discuss the procedure with my breast surgeon on 2/17/2010. 2 months have passed since the Mammo, still not sure what I have, the pathology report called it an undetermined neoplasm -- the doctor who did the biopsy said it may be a phyllode tumor. Phyllode Tumors are considered a form of Breast Cancer even if benign. The process just takes too long to determine. It causes too much stress on me and my family. There should be a faster way to get results and things done.

Comment from: Kim D, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I just turned 40 this year and found a lump in my left breast. I scheduled my annual exam and was then scheduled a diagnostic mammogram (rather than just a screening mammogram). They performed an ultrasound at the same time. I was told that there was density and it was probably just a fibroadenoma but would need a biopsy to be sure. I had the biopsy and that was all that it was. But that time waiting is excruciating! Reading articles like on MedicineNet was helpful to try to prepare mentally for various outcomes.

Comment from: CTC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was recently diagnosed with a benign brain tumor that increased my prolactin hormone. I discovered that while on the medication that my breast had gotten sensitive and feels slightly abnormal on the inside. I have had physicals where my family doctor initiated a breast exam on a yearly basis. But I feel abnormalities such as a mass nearly the same size of my breast. I have not had a discharge but I still produce milk from my breast. When I ask my endocrinologist about the medication that I am taking maybe the milk is drying up and she does not know and told me to see an OB/GYN.

Comment from: suzieqqqqx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I was diagnosed with breast cancer nine months after I was told I only had cysts. That hospital did not do a biopsy, only a mammogram and ultrasound. Nine months later I was referred by a different doctor to a different hospital that did lots of tests, a mammogram, an ultrasound, and a needle biopsy. I was told they found a total of seven tumors via the biopsy, and I would need to have my breast removed. I wonder if those seven tumors grew in the nine months that I was absent from that first hospital or if they were there previously but misdiagnosed as cysts.

Breast Lumps (In Women) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your breast lumps?
Breast Lumps - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your breast lumps?
Breast Lumps in Women - Injuries Question: Did you injure your breast? If it formed a lump, did you have it examined? What was the outcome?
Breast Lumps in Women - Benign Lumps Question: Please share your experience with the discovery and diagnosis of non-cancerous breast lumps.