Patient Comments: Breast Lumps In Women - Diagnosis

Please describe the diagnosis of the breast lumps in your breast(s).

Comment from: Female (Caregiver) Published: April 20

My Mom recently found a lump in her breast, she set up an appointment with her doctor they tried drawing fluid from the lump with no luck 5-6 years ago she had found a lump in the same breast, surgery was immediate, lump was benign. We are waiting for a surgeon to get in touch with us to set up further procedures.

Comment from: Rebecca, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I never found a lump in my breast, but felt swollen under the arm pit. I went for a mammo and nothing was detected. The only way my cancer was detected was via a biopsy of the lymph nodes in the arm pit and a MRI. By then the mass was large and the nodes were positive for cancer. I underwent chemo for 18 weeks, a mastectomy 2 weeks later. (The pre MRI before surgery was very good in that the tumor had gone down to almost nothing.) However 7 of 14 lymph nodes that were removed were positive. My oncologist was surprised that there were positive lymph nodes after the chemo- Taxotere, Carbo & Herceptin). I am currently taking radiation with Xeloda. This method has had positive outcomes and I look forward to one.

Comment from: Mommakeithappen, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I'm a 40 year old mother of 4 and I have a lump on my left breast. I experience some annoying discomfort and went to my doctor that said I have density in that area. Today I did the mamo and sonogram of both breasts both lab techs said "don't worry your fine". The lab tech said "you don't have cancer because you wouldn't have pain and you just have a lumpy breast". I thought lumpy breast was a major problem.

Comment from: suzieqqqqx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I was diagnosed with breast cancer nine months after I was told I only had cysts. That hospital did not do a biopsy, only a mammogram and ultrasound. Nine months later I was referred by a different doctor to a different hospital that did lots of tests, a mammogram, an ultrasound, and a needle biopsy. I was told they found a total of seven tumors via the biopsy, and I would need to have my breast removed. I wonder if those seven tumors grew in the nine months that I was absent from that first hospital or if they were there previously but misdiagnosed as cysts.

Comment from: brownricegirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I turn 39 this year and have recently found a large lump in my right breast associated with mild pain. I have no family history and have had no reason to have a mammogram; until now. I had a diagnostic mammogram. I am scheduled for a consult for biopsy Monday, of which I just wish they would just perform a FNB the same day. Is that asking too much? Personally, I'm not stressed. I'm not worried about the outcome. I just want to prepare my family for the unknown. The time it takes to go from one doc to the other for just a consult is ridiculous.

Comment from: aking, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I had a biopsy performed in mid-February on a small lump in my right breast. It came back non-cancerous. The lump has grown in size, and my second biopsy showed a small amount of cancer cells.

Comment from: jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I have been diagnosed with breast cancer twice. The first time was in 1997 and the second time was 11 yrs later. both times the lump was picked up by a scan. Lucky for me both times it was picked up in the early stages. I have regular mammograms every six months.

Comment from: Annie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I am a 60 year old women who was just recently diagnosed by mammogram and ultrasound with a 5mm nodule and 7 mm nodule left breast. The radiologist reported these areas to be suspicious. I told my PCP I would like these removed and biopsied. I was sent to a surgeon who said, "I need a biopsy" and sent me back to radiology to have a particular type of biopsy. When I was finally able to speak with a nurse (I think) at radiology I was told I would have a core need biopsy not the biopsy indicated by the surgeon. I cancelled the biopsy I was required to schedule before I spoke with anyone. I feel frustrated in that my providers are not communicating between themselves let alone with me. Under these circumstances I feel unready to proceed. Yes, I think these providers like to make money doing procedures that can cause more damage so they can do more procedures. That is the feeling I get from all of this. I really would like the whole thing sent to the lab so I know for sure. I guess that is too much to ask.

Breast Lumps (In Women) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your breast lumps?
Breast Lumps - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your breast lumps?
Breast Lumps in Women - Injuries Question: Did you injure your breast? If it formed a lump, did you have it examined? What was the outcome?
Breast Lumps in Women - Benign Lumps Question: Please share your experience with the discovery and diagnosis of non-cancerous breast lumps.