Patient Comments: Breast Cancer - Survival Rate

What is the prognosis for your breast cancer?

Comment from: Helen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 15

At the end of June 2012, I experienced sudden sharp pains in my right breast and followed through the next days with doctor visit, mammogram, ultra sound and biopsy. Within a week I learned that I have stage 4 breast cancer. I have taken Letrozole for 14 months with excellent results; however, now I have a new place in my liver, so the doctor has switched me to Tamoxifen, as of 4 days ago. I don't feel like a "survivor" at all, since I will not survive this illness and probably will not last more than 2 years. I've enjoyed my life during the past 14 months and hope to enjoy a few more months. Because I am now 82, I can face death rationally, although my mother lived to 94 ½ years.

Comment from: BJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I really don't know, but I live life one day at a time, making the most of each that I have! I will celebrate 3 years of survival on 10/19, so I find that encouraging! It's not easy, some of the side effects have been on-going and the hormone therapy has its own side-effects, but I can put my feet on the floor each day, so it's all good!

Breast Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience when you developed breast cancer?
Breast Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your breast cancer when you were diagnosed?
Breast Cancer - Type Question: What type of breast cancer do you have?
Breast Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you have for breast cancer?
Breast Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your breast cancer detected?