Patient Comments: Breast Cancer - Treatment

What kind of treatment did you have for breast cancer?

A Doctor's View on Breast Cancer Treatment

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Breast cancer treatment will vary from patient to patient, and is dependent on the type and stage of breast cancer. A common breast cancer treatment drug is chemotherapy; other treatments include surgery, hormone therapy, targeted therapy, and radiation therapy. The most common side effects of breast cancer treatment are nausea and fatigue. Managing these two types of side effects will increase the quality-of-life for patients. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: sherl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I"m a 2 times breast cancer patient. I was in remission for 15 years. In 2009 I had a radical mastectomy. Fifteen lymph nodes were removed and reconstructive surgery done, and 8 rounds of chemotherapy. The chemotherapy saved my life. I was diagnosed with carcinoma from a needle biopsy. Having early intervention and early treatment can save lives.

Comment from: BJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had mastectomy of the left breast and 18 lymph nodes removed (16 positive). I had chemotherapy and radiation and I am currently on Arimidex.

Comment from: Jewels, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I had my first treatment, but now I am experiencing swelling in my body, from my face to my feet.

Comment from: Frankie Jean Thomas, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I was diagnosed with low grade infiltrating ductal carcinoma. Small cancer cells were removed. My lymph nodes showed no signs of cancer. I have been prescribed Femara. I have read about the horrible side effects. Is anyone on or has been on Femara? If so, I would like your views.

Comment from: Jewels, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I had a mammogram in December of 2011. Everything was normal. In December of 2012 I went for my yearly mammogram and I thought all was well as it has always been. When I went to see my primary physician for my 3-6 month blood glucose level testing, he informed me that I needed to have another mammogram because there appeared to be some irregularities. So it began. After another mammogram, an ultrasound, and a MRI, I was diagnosed with a mass the size of a pea, approximately 5mm. The radiologist who read the report was very impersonal and curt. He said, “This is cancerous; you will need it removed, then undergo chemotherapy and radiation. He did not know me from "Adam." I went to see a breast surgeon, she performed a biopsy, and here I am now. At age 67, I have to decide whether I want to have a bilateral mastectomy, am waiting for breast reconstruction to begin, and am dreading having to go through chemotherapy. Please everyone – do not think that mammograms do not work.

Comment from: mwg, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

For two years my mammograms showed an abnormality that was considered nominal. The third year they finally got a clue and had me go for a biopsy of what they felt was a cyst. The journey began then as after two lumpectomies. After the mastectomy I am now being advised I should still get radiation and possibly chemo. I almost feel like I could have eradicated the six months of nerve-wracking stress and indecision as I am ending up right along with everyone that went straight to mastectomy and chemo. Another thing, I advise all my friends now to read their mammo results and challenge everything! I pray for all those on this road already and hope for strength as I join them.

Comment from: Unknown, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

Newly diagnosed with Stage II breast cancer w/ lymph node involvement (one). Have had the surgery. Dr. strongly advises chemo. Plan is 4 cycle of Taxotere and Cytoxan, hormone therapy, radiation. I am totally petrified!! So" frozen" about this decision. Can't bear the humiliation of having no hair (a wig doesn't alleviate this) and the loss of control of my life and family due to fatigue!! Has anyone had this chemo and these fears beforehand? If so, please share how chemo was for you.

Breast Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience when you developed breast cancer?
Breast Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your breast cancer when you were diagnosed?
Breast Cancer - Type Question: What type of breast cancer do you have?
Breast Cancer - Survival Rate Question: What is the prognosis for your breast cancer?
Breast Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your breast cancer detected?