Patient Comments: Breast Cancer - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience when you developed breast cancer?

A Doctor's View on Breast Cancer Symptoms and Signs

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Breast cancer symptoms and signs include a breast lump, nipple retraction, breast pain, nipple discharge, dimpling of the skin of the breast, or a change in the size or shape of the breast. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: doloresesterline, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I had inverted nipple which looked blackish with blood drainage before being diagnosed with breast cancer.

Comment from: Joanne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

My breast cancer was diagnosed solely by mammogram. I had no symptoms.

Comment from: AJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I was fibrocystic so I sometimes experienced breast pain and my breasts were dense. Almost from the beginning, they were secretly tracking my microcalcifications. Then I had biopsies maybe eight years ago. My 'call back' mammograms looked like stars sparkling in a dark night, microcalcifications everywhere. Then two years ago, they discovered a tiny lump not yet palpable by hand and it was cancer. It hadn't spread yet to the nodes so no chemotherapy or radiation. I had no symptoms.

Comment from: wonda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I was diagnosed with stage 3A breast cancer at age 51. I had pain in the breast and found the lump myself. The lump was large and I could see that the nipple was inverted.

Comment from: Beermaid1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I started noticing a lump that kept popping up and down on the side of my neck. It never was painful but it started getting bigger and staying up longer. I was feeling very tired and fatigued and finally a doctor listened to my symptoms and did a CT. Then I got a PET scan and the next thing I know I get the call that I have breast cancer and it has spread to my lymph nodes and possibly my liver. People, just know if you feel like something is wrong, don"t give up and keep telling and searching for the right doctor that will listen to you and find out what is going on before it's too late!

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had a lump in my breast where I felt a tugging sensation. It got worse and worse and finally after a year, I went to have it checked. I also had a very itchy nipple.

Comment from: BJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

After 3 benign tumors, which were found through self-examination and never seen on mammogram, I was very concerned when my breast appeared enlarged and like orange peel. I thought it felt different, but it wasn't like the other 3 times. Mammogram picked up nothing, and it was done twice. I didn't trust the results and my family doctor listened and sent me to a surgeon for a biopsy.

Comment from: 3 girls, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

When I developed breast cancer, there was some tenderness in my breasts and they didn"t look the same. They were deflated and dimple inward which was strange.

Comment from: Sumnermariel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I felt a painful lump at the 10 o'clock position in my right breast. It continued to get more and more painful and appeared to be enlarging after about six months.

Breast Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your breast cancer when you were diagnosed?
Breast Cancer - Type Question: What type of breast cancer do you have?
Breast Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you have for breast cancer?
Breast Cancer - Survival Rate Question: What is the prognosis for your breast cancer?
Breast Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your breast cancer detected?