- Breast Cancer Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Breast Cancer Quiz
- Disease Prevention in Women Slideshow Pictures
- Find a local Psychiatrist in your town
- What Causes Stress Among Breast Cancer Patients?
- How Can I Reduce Stress?
- How Can I Learn To Relax?
- What Are Some Effective Relaxation Exercises?
- How Do I Keep Track Of My Medical Information?
- What Types Of Help Are Available?
- What If I Become Unable To Make Decisions About My Health Care?
- Should I Write A Will?
- What Should Family Members And Friends Keep In Mind?
Facing a breast cancer diagnosis can be overwhelming. Your stress levels may skyrocket. You may worry about finances. And you may be asking yourself difficult questions, such as whether to write a living will. Education and supportive care can help you deal with the many issues and emotions you're facing.
What Causes Stress Among Breast Cancer Patients?
How Can I Reduce Stress?
Stress can build, influencing how you feel about life. Prolonged stress may lead to frustration, anger, hopelessness, and -- at times -- depression. The person with the illness is not the only one affected. Family members are also influenced by the health changes of a loved one. To reduce stress:
- Keep a positive attitude.
- Accept that there are events you cannot control.
- Be assertive instead of aggressive. "Assert" your feelings, opinions or beliefs instead of becoming angry, combative or passive.
- Learn to relax.
- Exercise regularly. Your body can fight stress better when you are physically fit.
- Eat well-balanced meals.
- Rest and sleep. Your body needs time to recover from stressful events.
- Don't rely on alcohol or drugs to reduce stress.
How Can I Learn To Relax?
There are a number of exercises that you can do to relax. These exercises include breathing, muscle and mind relaxation, relaxation to music, and biofeedback. A few that you can try are listed below. First, be sure that you have a quiet location that is free of distractions, a comfortable body position (sit or recline on a chair or sofa) and a good state of mind. Try to block out worries and distracting thoughts.