Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I had a stereotactic breast biopsy, lying on my stomach, with lidocaine. Basically painless but uncomfortable at times when I felt something, but honestly I felt more apprehensive than ever, not knowing when the very minor discomfort would be coming. Biggest discomfort of this by far was the holding still with my neck kinked, it was killing my neck. Make sure you get comfortable before they say 'ok, don't move.' You don't get to change positions during the procedure. I could not hear them with one ear covered by the pillow so I had a hard time understanding what was happening. Don't be afraid, they are very compassionate and there for you!

Comment from: Dl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I had stereotactic biopsy of my left breast. It was very painful, and still hurts days later. Be prepared, the lidocaine doesn't stop you from feeling the pain.

Comment from: reh, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

Some microcalcifications were found on my right breast so I had a stereotactic needle breast biopsy this morning. It was nothing. Probably the most painless procedure I've ever had. The worst part of the whole thing is lying on your stomach for 30 to 60 minutes, unable to move. My neck and back were quite kinked up when I was finished but other than that, I felt no pain except for just a slight pinch when they inject the numbing medicine. The only other thing I felt was a very slight pressure, but no pain. It was definitely worth the experience so that I will find out what is going on!

Comment from: hb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had a stereotactic breast biopsy. They injected a local anesthetic. It didn't work. This biopsy was excruciating. If I ever have to go in for this again, I will make sure I take a sedative. The pain through the following night was terrible and I even took codeine.

Comment from: StarBright, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I just went for a breast core biopsy this morning. It was not painful at all! The only part you feel is the needle they use to freeze your breast, hurts less than when they freeze your mouth to remove a tooth! They took 2 samples that were smaller than a grain of salt. The procedure literally lasted 2 minutes and then I was done. I have to wait for the results now, about a week.

Comment from: k87, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I just had a core breast biopsy and want to reassure anyone reading this who is as nervous as I was that the procedure is far easier than I expected. I was incredibly anxious and losing sleep over this for 2 weeks. Here is the non-sugar coated version. I felt a tiny poke with a very mild burn when they numbed me up. Not bad at all. I felt a slight pressure a couple of times but the biopsies were painless. Not a pinch, not a sharp pang, nothing. I've experienced some soreness following the procedure, but ice and Tylenol are working well. My take away thoughts. I would say that the actual procedure was easy. The anticipation was not easy. For anyone expecting to have a core, please be kind to yourself. Take some deep breaths. I'm an anxious person with a low pain threshold, and it really did go just fine. Really.

Comment from: SavannahJen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I had a vacuum style breast biopsy, the doctor took 5 punctures. I did not have much pain after the lidocaine but! A week later I'm still in pain. I went to my doctor for pain medications. Thank goodness the biopsy came back cancer free.

Comment from: Tebza, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had a fine needle breast biopsy yesterday. I didn't feel anything during the procedure. I bled quite a bit though after extraction of the tissue. There was no pain afterwards, just tenderness.

Breast Biopsy - Reasons Question: Why did you have a breast biopsy?
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?
Breast Biopsy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with breast biopsy.