Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I just returned from the hospital after a fine needle breast biopsy. The doctor supposedly froze my breast but I felt all 3 samples and it hurt awfully. My jaw is still sore from biting down so hard. I'm home lying down with an ice pack on and 400 mg of pain killer. I cried like a baby in the dressing room afterwards. My pain tolerance is really good but I was not expecting this. Some friends told me their procedures were painless.

Comment from: Sunflower, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I underwent a core biopsy but I was not prepared for it and found the procedure awful. I am a registered nurse and felt in shock. I know everything being done at that appointment was for the best but if I had to have one again I would ask for some Valium before. Post procedure I have had awful bruising and a hematoma under the incision. The pain post biopsy was worse than the mastitis I had after having my children. Two weeks and one course of antibiotics later and bruising still evident but the results were all clear so I am thankful. I can put up with everything.

Comment from: Babydoll, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I had a stereotactic breast biopsy. I was told it was simple, which it was, I was nervous of course however the procedure went well. They numbed me which did not really hurt and I thought wow, this went better than I expected. About an hour after I got home and all the numbness wore off, I was in so much pain I had tears. I am very pain tolerant, I don't take pains medicines, and Tylenol puts me to sleep. However the pain was so strong I wanted some strong pain medications. I was not told I would be in that much pain after, all I was told was I would be a little sore, which is expected when you have any procedure done. I don't know what the differences are between the different biopsies, however I do know this one was painful after the numbness wore off.

Comment from: it hurt, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

The lidocaine was not effective during the first clip of my breast biopsy and I felt it big time. The doctor administered more lidocaine and finally the pain dissipated by the last two samples. So out of five samples taken three hurt and two did not. I definitely had tears during the first three before the lidocaine took effect. It left me in a bit of a shock and I had a hard time controlling the tears for about an hour afterward. I never felt faint or dizzy and was able to drive myself home afterwards.

Comment from: scared, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I had a breast biopsy yesterday and was so scared before I got there. I just want everyone to know that it was painless. They numbed me and that felt weird but didn't hurt and they took like 10 pieces; again no pain. They placed a titanium clip and I had a mammogram afterwards, again no pain. I was a little sore today but that's it.

Comment from: bkaywilson54, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I have been on the 6 month watch list for years. I have had a fine needle aspiration and core biopsy. This recent breast biopsy was the worst one yet. The area was numbed, no big deal and then they took 5 samples. It was not until he moved to an area that was not numb that I almost came off the table. Gritting my teeth was an understatement. I do believe it was the doctor's fault. I know from the past that it can be painless. I went back to work and felt like I needed a sling for my breast. I am still waiting on biopsy results.

Comment from: Concerned patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I had a stereotactic biopsy of my right breast. I must say that it was very painful. I am in the nursing profession (registered nurse) and feel that we need IV Valium to help cope with this type of biopsy. I did take Valium by mouth and it was not enough. This test was invented by a man for sure. We give IV Valium for breast MRIs and feel that this procedure should be no exception. If I ever have to have this done again I will do my best to have IV Valium on board for this very painful test. Lidocaine was given three times before finally it was effective. By that time my anxiety level not to mention the pain was through the roof.

Breast Biopsy - Reasons Question: Why did you have a breast biopsy?
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?
Breast Biopsy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with breast biopsy.