Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: Jessica, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I had a core needle ultrasound guided breast biopsy. I must say I was scared half to death. My blood pressure was super high and tears were rolling down my face. Despite my extreme anxiety, my experience was very positive. Here's how it went for me. I came in and they put me in a gown. They took my vitals and explained what to expect. They walked me to the ultrasound room. They marked the areas. I had 2 areas of concern. They put a pool noodle thing along my side because the first area was the bottom right side. The doctor put in the needle to numb the spot. It pinched no worse than a normal shot. She took the samples which I could see happening on the screen and heard the click but it didn't hurt at all. Then they laid me flat to do the other spot. Same thing. They applied pressure for 5 minutes on each spot and it was over. They took me for a mammogram as they inserted pins to mark the spots. I was a bit stiff that day and the next day and tender if I bounced at all, I drove down a bumpy road. I got my results in 2 days. Honestly I was more afraid of the test than waiting for the results but it wasn't bad for me. I imagine everyone's experience is different depending on density and location. I'm a week out now and have some mild bruising but I feel normal. It will be ok really.

Comment from: Carlie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I had a core needle breast biopsy done on Friday morning. I was nervous because my sister, who died of breast cancer 1 year after diagnosis, had a horrible experience with her biopsy. Mine went well. I received the numbing agent, and felt only a small sting. Then I had 2 core needle biopsies done. The radiologist was very kind, and the nurse who assisted was nice, too. The entire procedure took half an hour, although it seemed like 10 minutes. I bled very little despite being a 'bleeder'. They placed a gauze bandage and then some large clear surgical tape over it, and told me to wait 3 days before removing it and showering the area. I dressed myself and walked out smiling and happy because I was so relieved it went well, but then I got hot in the head and felt a little faint. I sat in the waiting room for a few minutes, and then I was good to go. I did sleep the entire afternoon for some reason. I now have 3 to 5 days to wait to see if I have breast cancer. My sister and aunt died of ductile breast cancer, and another aunt was just diagnosed with breast cancer last week. I was very worried about the procedure because of my sister's experience, but mine was a positive one. I wasn't able to cook dinner that night, and I was told to take it easy for 24 hours, but the day after I was fine. I hope it goes well for anyone waiting to have a biopsy, too.

Comment from: Ford40wife, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I recently had a stereotactic breast biopsy. Well, let me tell you it was the worst thing I have ever had! Yes they numb you, they place your breast into the mammogram machine and then you are ready to start! Then they say you will hear a pop, well, the pop is the gun injecting the needle into you! Goodness. That is the worst pain! And I mean pain! Then it starts to extract! Then the next extraction and you feel the pain involved with each! And they take 4 samples! All I can say is it has been 5 days and I am still very bruised and in pain. And I will never do this test again!

Comment from: 1sweetmaker, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I had a stereotactic breast biopsy done today. Nothing to it, just a little sting while being numbed. Never felt the 1/4 inch cut, a bit of a sting like a bee sting when the doctor inserted the needle about the size of a meat thermometer stem. Just a Little pressure when the machine took 4 samples. The doctor has left a titanium marker where the samples were taken for future watches on that spot. Mine was a suspicious mass.

Comment from: Lily, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I had a breast biopsy 8 days ago. The results are negative. It was miserable. I had an adverse reaction to the local anesthetic. The staff was unprofessional and the doctor was not concerned. Last biopsy. Possible last mammogram.

Comment from: KathyB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I went to the doctor with high fever, cough, fatigue and fainting. The doctor would not prescribe antibiotics, and told me to just take Tylenol to reduce the fever. It kept getting worse and finally she gave me an antibiotic (after 10 days) but it was too late! I ended up nearly passing out again in the emergency room. I had viral pneumonia and was admitted. Doctors have to start giving antibiotics when people are ill. I told the doctor I hadn't had antibiotics in years but she still refused to give them to me the first time I went in there. I am still not back to where I was; if I ever will be after all this. Poor diagnosis and poor treatment. Insist on antibiotics when you know you need them. New protocol does not work.

Breast Biopsy - Reasons Question: Why did you have a breast biopsy?
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?
Breast Biopsy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with breast biopsy.