Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: friendly stranger, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I recently had 4 biopsies in total, one on my right breast, two on my left breast and one in my underarm on the left. Everyone's pain tolerance is different but I wish I had been given some painkillers besides the local anesthetic injections. The local anesthetic injections were extremely painful for me. Others may not have had the post issues I have been experiencing but I was informed the breast tissue will only be tender and swollen for a few days but when I looked up for more information about it online the average breast biopsy takes up to two months for full recovery. I wish they offer sedatives to calm the anxiety down a bit because I had no idea how brutal the gauge sizes would be and how invasive the biopsy procedure really is. Biopsies are vital for testing tissue samples but in my opinion it should be taken as a form of surgery and the patient should be given two forms of painkillers, a sedative alongside the local anesthetic injection.

Comment from: typegirl148, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I just had stereotactic breast biopsy sitting in a chair. I think it sure is better than lying on abdomen for an hour. I had all females and they were wonderful. I am 19 1/2 years out from breast cancer and mammogram showed 4.0 mm mass. The radiologist says she has a good feeling after the biopsies so I am hopeful it is not a recurrence after 19 1/2 years being clean. It wasn't a bad experience at all; no pain just discomfort. Now I am hoping for a good outcome of just scar tissue. Please ladies, get those yearly mammograms and take care of yourself!

Comment from: Jyc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I had a breast core biopsy 2 days ago. It wasn't a painful procedure to me even though I had bled more than normal patients do. My bleeding stopped 2 or 3 hours after procedure and I did take Tylenol twice afterward. However, it didn't hurt more than a normal injection. The scariest part was waiting for the results. I'm so pleased to know I'm free of cancer now.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I had a stereotactic breast biopsy, lying on my stomach, with lidocaine. Basically painless but uncomfortable at times when I felt something, but honestly I felt more apprehensive than ever, not knowing when the very minor discomfort would be coming. Biggest discomfort of this by far was the holding still with my neck kinked, it was killing my neck. Make sure you get comfortable before they say 'ok, don't move.' You don't get to change positions during the procedure. I could not hear them with one ear covered by the pillow so I had a hard time understanding what was happening. Don't be afraid, they are very compassionate and there for you!

Comment from: Dl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I had stereotactic biopsy of my left breast. It was very painful, and still hurts days later. Be prepared, the lidocaine doesn't stop you from feeling the pain.

Comment from: reh, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

Some microcalcifications were found on my right breast so I had a stereotactic needle breast biopsy this morning. It was nothing. Probably the most painless procedure I've ever had. The worst part of the whole thing is lying on your stomach for 30 to 60 minutes, unable to move. My neck and back were quite kinked up when I was finished but other than that, I felt no pain except for just a slight pinch when they inject the numbing medicine. The only other thing I felt was a very slight pressure, but no pain. It was definitely worth the experience so that I will find out what is going on!

Comment from: hb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had a stereotactic breast biopsy. They injected a local anesthetic. It didn't work. This biopsy was excruciating. If I ever have to go in for this again, I will make sure I take a sedative. The pain through the following night was terrible and I even took codeine.

Breast Biopsy - Reasons Question: Why did you have a breast biopsy?
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?
Breast Biopsy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with breast biopsy.