Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: k87, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I just had a core breast biopsy and want to reassure anyone reading this who is as nervous as I was that the procedure is far easier than I expected. I was incredibly anxious and losing sleep over this for 2 weeks. Here is the non-sugar coated version. I felt a tiny poke with a very mild burn when they numbed me up. Not bad at all. I felt a slight pressure a couple of times but the biopsies were painless. Not a pinch, not a sharp pang, nothing. I've experienced some soreness following the procedure, but ice and Tylenol are working well. My take away thoughts. I would say that the actual procedure was easy. The anticipation was not easy. For anyone expecting to have a core, please be kind to yourself. Take some deep breaths. I'm an anxious person with a low pain threshold, and it really did go just fine. Really.

Comment from: SavannahJen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I had a vacuum style breast biopsy, the doctor took 5 punctures. I did not have much pain after the lidocaine but! A week later I'm still in pain. I went to my doctor for pain medications. Thank goodness the biopsy came back cancer free.

Comment from: Tebza, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had a fine needle breast biopsy yesterday. I didn't feel anything during the procedure. I bled quite a bit though after extraction of the tissue. There was no pain afterwards, just tenderness.

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I just returned from the hospital after a fine needle breast biopsy. The doctor supposedly froze my breast but I felt all 3 samples and it hurt awfully. My jaw is still sore from biting down so hard. I'm home lying down with an ice pack on and 400 mg of pain killer. I cried like a baby in the dressing room afterwards. My pain tolerance is really good but I was not expecting this. Some friends told me their procedures were painless.

Comment from: Sunflower, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I underwent a core biopsy but I was not prepared for it and found the procedure awful. I am a registered nurse and felt in shock. I know everything being done at that appointment was for the best but if I had to have one again I would ask for some Valium before. Post procedure I have had awful bruising and a hematoma under the incision. The pain post biopsy was worse than the mastitis I had after having my children. Two weeks and one course of antibiotics later and bruising still evident but the results were all clear so I am thankful. I can put up with everything.

Comment from: Babydoll, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I had a stereotactic breast biopsy. I was told it was simple, which it was, I was nervous of course however the procedure went well. They numbed me which did not really hurt and I thought wow, this went better than I expected. About an hour after I got home and all the numbness wore off, I was in so much pain I had tears. I am very pain tolerant, I don't take pains medicines, and Tylenol puts me to sleep. However the pain was so strong I wanted some strong pain medications. I was not told I would be in that much pain after, all I was told was I would be a little sore, which is expected when you have any procedure done. I don't know what the differences are between the different biopsies, however I do know this one was painful after the numbness wore off.

Comment from: it hurt, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

The lidocaine was not effective during the first clip of my breast biopsy and I felt it big time. The doctor administered more lidocaine and finally the pain dissipated by the last two samples. So out of five samples taken three hurt and two did not. I definitely had tears during the first three before the lidocaine took effect. It left me in a bit of a shock and I had a hard time controlling the tears for about an hour afterward. I never felt faint or dizzy and was able to drive myself home afterwards.

Breast Biopsy - Reasons Question: Why did you have a breast biopsy?
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?
Breast Biopsy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with breast biopsy.