Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: LX, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had ultrasound guided core needle biopsy on right breast done yesterday at 1 pm. I had high anxiety but was given (prearranged by my general physician) Xanax to improve things. It calmed me now to near normal but I was still pretty wound up. Two doctors attended, one to do procedure (younger, I suspect a resident) and one older who said she was there to distract me (held my hand, answered questions) but was also directing the younger one it seemed; plus ultrasound technician. The entire thing went easily and with no pain whatsoever, I was surprised I barely even felt pressure. They used some freezing spray for initial lidocaine injection and I felt nothing after that. Four core samples (it is a little noisy) were taken and then I had to go for a mammogram to make sure the titanium marker was in the right spot. I got a ride home due to Xanax and slept four hours. I was up and cooking dinner and answering work email that night. I used breast-specific ice packs given all night on and off, tucked in a sport bra. I slept fine, there was some bruising and tenderness but I was back at work this morning and no issues. I am going to take off the bandages tonight. I was advised no swimming or baths for a week but shower is ok.

Comment from: MJ, Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I had an MRI guided breast biopsy after a mammogram, ultrasound and breast MRI detected a 0.9 mm abnormality. The experience was not nearly as bad as I had heard or expected on the breast biopsy. The worst part was the lidocaine injections to numb the breast but, even that wasn't that bad. Once the breast is numb there is little to no pain. I felt a slight tugging sensation while the radiologist was taking the tissue samples but, I cannot say this was pain. In addition to the biopsy, I had a titanium marker placed in the breast so, if need be, a surgeon can locate the abnormality if it needs to be removed. I had the biopsy on December 30th and other than bruising, I took one Tylenol for a headache from all the worrying I did that really wasn't necessary. I am happy to report that the biopsy was benign however, the surgeon suggested I take out the tissue because of my family history.

Comment from: JOANN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I had a biopsy done (don't know which kind) but it was taken from the breast. I didn't want it but the technician and doctors insisted because their new equipment would reveal something that I already knew existed. They could see the mass which turned out to be calcium buildup. My oncologist nurse practitioner had always monitored and assured me that it was not an issue. Well, out of trust, I allowed the procedure to be carried out with much reservation. The result only validated what I already knew, however, the procedure has caused negative effects that is more frightening than had I not allowed the staff to proceed with the biopsy. Now I have pain deep in my chest and a shortness of breath and deep tissue pain under my shoulder blade area. I am scared. Today I decided to set my fear aside and research others' experiences and reveal mine. I am also suffering with loss of strength in my left arm and a slight numbness in the pinky of my right hand. I am scares to go back to the medical institution for support because when I left the doctor was trying to convince me to allow them to explore further into the area of concern. Also while looking at x-ray with doctor I notice that there was a cancer symbol marker placed in the area which I did not know or understand it would be left permanently in my body. I am scared, depressed, miserable, handicapped and this has been going on for over 4 months.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a core biopsy on 2 lumps in my breast and aspiration in a lump in my armpit. One of the lumps is under my nipple so I found that a very tender area, and when extracting the sample that was very painful. Because it is an incision, after the procedure they had to press down on the breast for about 5 minutes to help create a clog to stop the wound bleeding. I found the worst pain is when they snag the sample. The aspiration was fairly painless. I found it difficult to move for 24 hours as your breast is tender and needs support. I had a great camisole with built in support and it was a life saver. It has been 4 days now and worse part is ugly bruise.

Comment from: bonnie7188, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had an ultrasound guided core biopsy of my breast done yesterday. Before I went in I came on google to this site and many other sites and read everyone's horror stories, and I was so scared I almost didn't go. I did not feel a thing from start to finish. They said the numbing medicines would sting like a bee, I didn't even feel the numbing needles get inserted and the rest of it went by quickly. I didn't even know she was working on me. They said I would probably have pain and soreness, and to ice for that first day and take the Tylenol even if I didn't have any pain. I did both and have not in the last 24 hours had one ounce of pain or soreness. Every person's experience is different and mine was a positive one. Do not believe everything you read on these sites like I did is my advice to all of you scared enough to be searching on here, it was nothing.

Breast Biopsy - Reasons Question: Why did you have a breast biopsy?
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?
Breast Biopsy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with breast biopsy.