Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: Catalina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I had a breast aspiration yesterday, and the procedure took longer because the radiologist could not locate the cyst, and finally after several tries he aspirated the fluid to send to the lab. Right after the biopsy procedure the doctor ordered a second mammogram, and I was sent home with mild pain. They prescribed acetaminophen in case of pain. After I went back to work I started feeling terrible, lots of pain, my breast got swollen and hard, and looks like I have a breast implant there. The doctor said I have a hematoma, and the breast will stop bleeding on its own, the swelling will go away with time and the body will absorb the bleeding. Meantime I have a little pain, and a huge bruised breast, but no fever, thank goodness. I have to wait for the results by Wednesday.

Comment from: keden7, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I had my breast biopsy yesterday and went right back to work. It didn't hurt much as the doctor numbed the area. Just a little prick or two and some soreness afterwards. Nothing to work yourself up over; totally not worth it! You'll be fine.

Comment from: rs439, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I first noticed a stinging on my upper abdomen on Friday morning. It appeared like a boil or a pimple. By Monday it had gotten quite large and in the shape of a volcano, with a tiny dead area in the center with some redness and lots of pain around it. I saw my doctor on Monday and received a sulfamethoxazole based antibiotic. Today is day 6. A larger toughness is felt around the brown recluse spider bite. The redness is still present but the center seems to be healing. I know a product called Talstar that kills all spiders like wild, and believe me I have sprayed my home very well inside and out.

Comment from: brownie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I was very fearful before the breast biopsy procedure. The doctor used plenty of anesthesia in an injection and waited for it to work. I had no pain during procedure, which lasted about 10 minutes. I talked with the nurse while doctor worked. I would not fear another.

Comment from: yvesimp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I had my breast biopsy this morning. I went from 3 to 5 different cysts to have samples taken from. So right now ice packs and Tylenol are my best friends. But I'm lucky. The hospital I go to had a required class that I had to take before the procedure. It was myself and 3 other women. The procedure, instruments, recovery, and possible side effects were explained. The nurse teaching the class did explain that if the cyst doesn't close in on itself quick enough after the needle is withdrawn then blood can fill that area causing a lump and excess bruising. If you have concerns definitely contact your doctor don't wait for him/her to call you. By the way this is my second one.

Comment from: ozleplot, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I had an ultrasound-guided core needle breast biopsy and it was seriously the easiest and most painless process ever. Everything I had read online had made me so anxious, I had an anxiety attack when I got to the clinic. I'm 20 years old with a very low pain tolerance, and the doctor gave me three shots to numb the area (which didn't hurt) and from then on, I felt nothing. I enjoyed watching the process on the ultrasound screen, and did not even feel like it was my own body the biopsy needle was going into, because it was so painless. The needle made a clicking sound every time he drew a sample, and he took about 7 from me. He closed the incision with Steri-Strips and placed an icepack in the area. I felt fine and went to eat out with my parents afterwards, and felt zero pain during my recovery, though there was a little swelling/bruising in the area at first. I'm writing this review to make sure no one else has to panic and dread such a quick procedure like I did!

Comment from: Dogwoman29, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I has a breast biopsy today. I spent a month scared to death of this procedure. The doctor was great. I hardly felt a prick of a needle and it was a painless procedure. I was shocked how painless it was. I am sore now the numbing effect has worn off but please don't be afraid. The hard part is waiting now.

Breast Biopsy - Reasons Question: Why did you have a breast biopsy?
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?
Breast Biopsy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with breast biopsy.