Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Question:Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: pj, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had an ultrasound guided core biopsy of my breast yesterday. I'm 24 and not being familiar with this procedure made it very intimidating. The radiologist explained the procedure and showed me how the biopsy gun works so I could be familiar with that 'click' noise. I was given 2 numbing needles. I felt a bit of pain when it went into the lump in my breast but after that, I couldn't feel anything. A small slit was made into the skin and the biopsy needle was inserted into it. Four samples and 40 minutes later, I was cleaned up and wrapped in a bag of frozen peas. Twenty four hours later, I feel a bit of pain at the incision site, but not as bad as I had envisioned. I don't even feel the need for pain medication. Ask to squeeze a stress ball, I found it very helpful; and follow the instructions they give you, regarding icing and applying pressure.

Comment from: angel77, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I recently had the core biopsy done. Before I had it done I never had any pain and couldn't feel a lump nor could the doctor but it showed on mammogram and ultra sound. The core biopsy in itself didn't hurt but it's been 10 days now and I'm still so bruised and have a huge knot of lump on my breast. I'm concerned why I have this still and it's painful. I wouldn't like any more of these as my breast is half bruised.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had an ultrasound core biopsy in my breast this morning. I felt a little prick with the numbing needle and it was smooth sailing from there. When she went in for a second sample there was a little tug, not pain, so she gave me a little more numbing medication. It's been 10 hours now and I am a little sore but this is not nearly as bad as I envisioned.

Comment from: Teacher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had a core biopsy yesterday. I had virtually no pain. I feel sorry for women who experience a great deal of pain as indicated on posts but I have to say that I virtually felt nothing. The hardest part is waiting one week for the results of the breast biopsy.

Comment from: Chel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had a core needle biopsy done four days ago on both my breasts during the same sitting and I am still in pain. I can't put a bra near my breasts. It hurts for my arms to go across my breasts. I have had one done prior to these (two years ago) and lumps removed previously, but I have never felt the pain I am feeling now. The procedure itself wasn't that painful, except when the doctor put the anesthetic through my nipple. I didn't understand why his assistant had to put all her weight on my breast after the procedure was done. My right breast is bruised and has a huge knot near where I am bruised, but not where the Steri-Strips are. My left breast feels like there are rocks floating around in it. Now I'm concerned about these new rock-like lumps I feel since the biopsies. They are painful! I want my breasts off now. I can't go through this again. I was told that my results were negative, but my doctor said he needed to discuss my pathology report with me. I am absolutely miserable. I hope I never find another lump because I may not want to go back to the doctor.

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had the breast biopsy procedure done today, core needle biopsy. I"m 68 years old and have never been admitted to a hospital, no children, no broken bones, no nothing, lucky yes and I was terrified after finding a lump on my right breast. I had not had a mammogram for several years, dumb, I know. The procedure was a piece of cake. Now the wait to find out. Please ladies don"t anticipate what you fear is going to happen. If mine turns out to be cancer, it is better to know than suffer the fear of the unknown.

Comment from: pepsi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had a mammogram and ultra sound biopsy on Monday, it's now Saturday and the pain has got worse as time's gone on and I have now got a huge lump.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I am a senior citizen who had lumpectomy and radiation on the right breast 2 1/2 years ago. About every six months I have been going for mammogram. The last one showed a suspicious area not very close to the lumpectomy site. I had an ultrasound-assisted vacuum biopsy, and a titanium chip placed. As I was leaving the office I was told that two more mammograms had to be taken, which showed that the wrong area was biopsied. After 3 weeks my breast is still sore and purple. I am concerned that the suspicious area may show positive, but I cannot have another biopsy because of the soreness.

Breast Biopsy -- Indications Question: Did you have a breast biopsy? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?