Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Question:Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: Joan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I had my 1st and only breast biopsy done Friday. I have never experienced anything so shockingly painful. I had talked to several people that had them done. All said I wouldn't feel anything but the numbing needle. It was suppose to be the stereotactic biopsy with the numbing going in as the needle went. They didn't have the right machine so I don't know what they used, but I was not numb and seems I felt it all. Never again.

Comment from: sue, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I had an ultrasound guided core breast biopsy because I had a palpable mass in my right breast. It was not painful at all. All I felt was a small pinch when the doctor was injecting the anesthesia. The whole procedure took about 20 minutes. Now I have to wait for the results.

Comment from: blueeyes68, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I personally found that my experience with the breast biopsy was worse pain than childbirth and I am praying to not have to experience another biopsy. I'm glad over all that it was checked to make sure it wasnt cancer and that staying healthy is important.

Comment from: Crazydog, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I had a stereo static core biopsy three days ago for a micro calcification cluster. The procedure was absolutely painless except a slight sting from the numbing medication in the needle. The next day, and following few days, I have developed a huge purple bruise the size of an apple, and it's very sore. Bought a very tight spandex camisole which helps. The incision site doesn't hurt, but the rest of my breast does. My results show abnormal cells in the lobular area, now I need day surgery to remove larger samples for further testing. Good luck to everyone here.

Comment from: martha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I waited for a week only to find they took a sample of the wrong tissue, and now I am still waiting to go somewhere to redo the biopsy. The waiting is stressful.

Breast Biopsy -- Indications Question: Did you have a breast biopsy? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?