Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Question:Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: skeeter, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

Breast biopsy was the worst experience of my entire life! I was told I would be numb but I certainly was not! I have never experienced so much pain in my entire life! If they say you need a biopsy then demand general anesthesia in a hospital setting or do not have it done!

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had the breast biopsy procedure done today, core needle biopsy. I"m 68 years old and have never been admitted to a hospital, no children, no broken bones, no nothing, lucky yes and I was terrified after finding a lump on my right breast. I had not had a mammogram for several years, dumb, I know. The procedure was a piece of cake. Now the wait to find out. Please ladies don"t anticipate what you fear is going to happen. If mine turns out to be cancer, it is better to know than suffer the fear of the unknown.

Comment from: worry-girls, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I had an ultrasound guided core needle biopsy today and it went really well, there was no pain at all and the nurses and doctors were ever so kind to me. I was very nervous, but it was way better than what I expected, I was stressed because of bad reviews that I read, but I had excellent experience!

Comment from: Denise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I just had an ultrasound biopsy today. All went well until they took the second piece of tissue for biopsy. It was extremely painful for a couple of seconds. Not enough lidocaine was used. I begged for more lidocaine, but was told the third time would not hurt. Well, it did. By the way, it was not cancerous; it was a pus filled lump. I will go to my primary care physician to follow up.

Comment from: caz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had a core biopsy done yesterday on a lump in my left breast that I have had for over 10 years. I have severe osteoarthritis, cervical and lumbar spondylosis and I am waiting for knee surgery to remove some 'bony spurs' that are floating in my left knee cap and causing locking and severe pain. I have had two children and also had an ectopic pregnancy that lasted 6 weeks. I am on all manner of pain medications including morphine. I thought I had a high pain threshold until yesterday; the pain was terrible. I have had numerous breast cysts drained with a needle in the past and never felt a thing. I also had a fine needle biopsy, again with no pain. If they need to do another core biopsy in the future they will need to 'knock me out' because otherwise it is not going to happen. It took forever and I was given two shots of local anesthetic.

Comment from: Jd, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had a breast biopsy done around 2 months ago and I've never experienced anything so painful in my life. They couldn't go through with it because it hurt so much. I'm only 21 and they think it is a breast abscess but 2 months down the line I'm now sitting here with tissue on my breast as I had a purple-y pimple and it has burst. I have a hole in my breast and I still don't know what it is. A biopsy is the best thing to do to find out what is the cause of lump, inverted nipples etc. I'll be going to the doctor's again tomorrow.

Comment from: Lordyc, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I had an ultrasound-guided core needle biopsy yesterday. All I really felt was a few little pricks from the Lidocaine shot. After that it was just pressure and tugging a bit! I'll tell ya, I was more nervous than I should have been! It was easy! Just a little swollen and sore today.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I had the core needle biopsy performed today and truthfully, it was virtually painless. They gave me a local anesthetic to numb the area and I didn't even feel that. The nurse and doctor were very informative about the whole procedure. I was not nervous about it and watched them perform the procedure on the ultrasound monitor. Wish I did not have to go through this, but it went well. Should have my results by tomorrow. Hoping for the best.

Comment from: gogurl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had a core biopsy done yesterday morning and it was not bad at all. It helped that the nurse told me beforehand what the doctor would do and then once the doctor came in he explained everything as he was doing it. There was a slight sting when they inserted the needle to numb the breast and that is really all I felt even when they were removing the two specimen. Once the doctor started the procedure he was done in about 10 minutes. After the procedure the nurse showed me the instruments he used and how they worked and also showed me the 2 specimen that would be tested. It was quite interesting and helped knowing what to expect. The area was a sore last night and just a little bit sore today. Keeping the ice pack they give you on it has helped with swelling and I just have a very small bruise. Just biting at the bit waiting to find out the results that's the hardest part!

Breast Biopsy - Reasons Question: Why did you have a breast biopsy?
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?
Breast Biopsy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with breast biopsy.