Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Question:Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: angel77, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I recently had the core biopsy done. Before I had it done I never had any pain and couldn't feel a lump nor could the doctor but it showed on mammogram and ultra sound. The core biopsy in itself didn't hurt but it's been 10 days now and I'm still so bruised and have a huge knot of lump on my breast. I'm concerned why I have this still and it's painful. I wouldn't like any more of these as my breast is half bruised.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had an ultrasound core biopsy in my breast this morning. I felt a little prick with the numbing needle and it was smooth sailing from there. When she went in for a second sample there was a little tug, not pain, so she gave me a little more numbing medication. It's been 10 hours now and I am a little sore but this is not nearly as bad as I envisioned.

Comment from: Teacher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had a core biopsy yesterday. I had virtually no pain. I feel sorry for women who experience a great deal of pain as indicated on posts but I have to say that I virtually felt nothing. The hardest part is waiting one week for the results of the breast biopsy.

Comment from: Chel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had a core needle biopsy done four days ago on both my breasts during the same sitting and I am still in pain. I can't put a bra near my breasts. It hurts for my arms to go across my breasts. I have had one done prior to these (two years ago) and lumps removed previously, but I have never felt the pain I am feeling now. The procedure itself wasn't that painful, except when the doctor put the anesthetic through my nipple. I didn't understand why his assistant had to put all her weight on my breast after the procedure was done. My right breast is bruised and has a huge knot near where I am bruised, but not where the Steri-Strips are. My left breast feels like there are rocks floating around in it. Now I'm concerned about these new rock-like lumps I feel since the biopsies. They are painful! I want my breasts off now. I can't go through this again. I was told that my results were negative, but my doctor said he needed to discuss my pathology report with me. I am absolutely miserable. I hope I never find another lump because I may not want to go back to the doctor.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I am a senior citizen who had lumpectomy and radiation on the right breast 2 1/2 years ago. About every six months I have been going for mammogram. The last one showed a suspicious area not very close to the lumpectomy site. I had an ultrasound-assisted vacuum biopsy, and a titanium chip placed. As I was leaving the office I was told that two more mammograms had to be taken, which showed that the wrong area was biopsied. After 3 weeks my breast is still sore and purple. I am concerned that the suspicious area may show positive, but I cannot have another biopsy because of the soreness.

Comment from: Pearlgurl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had a stereotactic core biopsy a few years ago for calcifications, and it was painless other than the usual sting of the shot to freeze the area. Not a bad experience other than waiting 2 weeks while the doctor was on vacation, to get results. Yesterday I had a vacuum assisted core biopsy and will never have one again! I got the Lidocaine shot and it numbed the skin where the incision was made. But the first time the machine went on there was a loud bang (I think that's the vacuum engaging) and it felt like a dart had been shot into my breast. So they gave me another Lidocaine shot. That shot did nothing either and I just wanted to get out of there at that point. So I just clenched my fist and got through with the 7 other samples they took. Maybe they were rushing and not waiting for the Lidocaine to take effect all the way, or it could be due to dense breast tissue. This is my third biopsy. First was a lumpectomy also benign. I would rather have a lumpectomy than one of these stereotactic vacuum assisted core biopsies.

Comment from: Regretful patient, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I went through a core needle biopsy 2.5 years ago and I still wonder if it was the biggest mistake of my life. Puncture and taking the samples didn't hurt, but after each of the 8 samples taken, the doctor would put pressure (leaning with all her weight right on my breast) I told her it was very painful, but she insisted that it needed to be done. She repeated this the 8 times. By the time the procedure was over, I was in the most terrible pain I've ever felt, I could barely walk or talk or stand still, I had someone get me some pain killers and that made the pain manageable. I thought that should pass (the doctor said so), but it didn't, for a whole year I couldn't even touch my breast, it was still tender and swollen and even contact with my own arm was painful. The pain wasn't like regular pain associated with the cycle, it is a feeling like when someone else twists your hand until it hurts. It's been 2.5 years now and it still hurts, I can touch my breast although it does hurt "a little", from the moment I had the biopsy on, I frequently have a pulsating pain behind my breast and sometimes the pain is so much I can't even go to bed. The biopsy results showed that the lump was a fibroadenoma, so it wasn't cancer. What I wonder now is If hitting one's breasts can cause cancer, what can having a 150 pound woman pressing on my breast with all her might for 20 min cause. Before the procedure they tell you all about the needle, but none told me about all this pressing on my breast. Had I known about it, I wonder if I would have gone through with the procedure or if I would have preferred checking the lump continuously with less invasive methods.

Breast Biopsy - Reasons Question: Why did you have a breast biopsy?
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?
Breast Biopsy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with breast biopsy.