Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Question:Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: worst bruise ever, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I had stereotactic breast biopsy in 2 sites, 7/11. It felt like some sort of medieval torture. They hit an artery with the second needle biopsy. Breast swelled up to twice normal size and then turned the color of an eggplant. One month later, I am still dealing with a painful hard hematoma the size of a lemon. I will never do this type of biopsy again! Both biopsies negative.

Comment from: ngram, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I'm 19 and had an ultrasound guided breast biopsy today. The procedure itself was a little intimidating and not very pleasant. I didn't feel the burning but I did go numb, the nurse even held my hand just so I would feel less scared. The only part that really bothered me was the part where she clicked. Now it is a couple hours later and the pain has died down. I have just a bit of awkwardness in that area and slight pain.

Comment from: tina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I had a MRI guided core needle biopsy done on my breast yesterday. Pain 24 hours later is not bad enough to warrant pain medications, just a little ice on the site. The pressure the nurse applied, afterwards helped; no clotting and haven't had any swelling at the site. Overall, not that bad.

Comment from: Adriennelw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have just had a core biopsy and can honestly say it was not at all nice. The real pain was when they clicked to get the sample. I am now sporting a magnificent black and blue breast. The pain is still there 11 days after the breast biopsy and I suppose it will eventually die down. The original lump is now huge but they did warn me about that. Chin up girls and grit your teeth, you might get luck and have no pain. It does, however, make you wonder why they don't give you some gas and air whilst doing it.

Comment from: pj, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had an ultrasound guided core biopsy of my breast yesterday. I'm 24 and not being familiar with this procedure made it very intimidating. The radiologist explained the procedure and showed me how the biopsy gun works so I could be familiar with that 'click' noise. I was given 2 numbing needles. I felt a bit of pain when it went into the lump in my breast but after that, I couldn't feel anything. A small slit was made into the skin and the biopsy needle was inserted into it. Four samples and 40 minutes later, I was cleaned up and wrapped in a bag of frozen peas. Twenty four hours later, I feel a bit of pain at the incision site, but not as bad as I had envisioned. I don't even feel the need for pain medication. Ask to squeeze a stress ball, I found it very helpful; and follow the instructions they give you, regarding icing and applying pressure.

Comment from: angel77, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I recently had the core biopsy done. Before I had it done I never had any pain and couldn't feel a lump nor could the doctor but it showed on mammogram and ultra sound. The core biopsy in itself didn't hurt but it's been 10 days now and I'm still so bruised and have a huge knot of lump on my breast. I'm concerned why I have this still and it's painful. I wouldn't like any more of these as my breast is half bruised.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had an ultrasound core biopsy in my breast this morning. I felt a little prick with the numbing needle and it was smooth sailing from there. When she went in for a second sample there was a little tug, not pain, so she gave me a little more numbing medication. It's been 10 hours now and I am a little sore but this is not nearly as bad as I envisioned.

Comment from: Teacher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had a core biopsy yesterday. I had virtually no pain. I feel sorry for women who experience a great deal of pain as indicated on posts but I have to say that I virtually felt nothing. The hardest part is waiting one week for the results of the breast biopsy.

Comment from: Chel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had a core needle biopsy done four days ago on both my breasts during the same sitting and I am still in pain. I can't put a bra near my breasts. It hurts for my arms to go across my breasts. I have had one done prior to these (two years ago) and lumps removed previously, but I have never felt the pain I am feeling now. The procedure itself wasn't that painful, except when the doctor put the anesthetic through my nipple. I didn't understand why his assistant had to put all her weight on my breast after the procedure was done. My right breast is bruised and has a huge knot near where I am bruised, but not where the Steri-Strips are. My left breast feels like there are rocks floating around in it. Now I'm concerned about these new rock-like lumps I feel since the biopsies. They are painful! I want my breasts off now. I can't go through this again. I was told that my results were negative, but my doctor said he needed to discuss my pathology report with me. I am absolutely miserable. I hope I never find another lump because I may not want to go back to the doctor.

Breast Biopsy - Reasons Question: Why did you have a breast biopsy?
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?
Breast Biopsy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with breast biopsy.