Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Question:Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: MajesticGoddess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I had an ultrasound guided breast biopsy last winter. I work in healthcare but I was terrified beyond belief to think of a long needle going into my breast. I stayed pretty terrified throughout the procedure. I'm a terrible patient, but really my fear was unwarranted. The needle to numb me felt like a bee sting. Other than that, I believe they took 6 different biopsies. I was on my back but had my eyes closed. Each time they went in, I didn't feel pain, just huge pressure and a very loud sound of the instrument. It didn't hurt at all. I left the sterile strip on for way too long thinking I was supposed to leave it on. I ended up on antibiotics and still have a pencil eraser sized red scar. The results were that I have fibroadenoma which made me so relieved. I don't care about the scar. The whole experience, the worry and the fear is huge and life changing. But have a good attitude and realize the procedure itself is painless and you'll handle it much better.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had the core needle biopsy and it was the worst thing I have ever gone through. The doctors and nurses were excellent so no reflection of them. I have very dense breast and the shot they gave me just bounced off the fibers in my breast. I had five shots but I could still feel the whole thing it felt like a drill going through my breast. I was told by a friend that it might be because I am allergic to sulfur. Can you tell me what that might have to do with it? Plus they hit a nerve. It turned out to be DCIS and they surgically removed it. That was a piece of cake, in and out same day.

Comment from: chantal_thomas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

My needle core biopsy lasted 1 1/2 hours and was excruciating. They took about 10 samples, and I was in extreme pain for about a day and a half. Then it felt like a deep bruise. I have a surgical biopsy scheduled in 2 weeks.

Comment from: Lady Linda J., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

A small lump was found in my left breast last month and today I went back to get another mammogram after many calls from the clinic over the past few weeks. I think I was worried about the results. For several months I felt something unusual in my left breast, but not a lump. More like pressure and heat. Today I had a core biopsy. It was painless, and radiologist and technician were both very nice to me. I am wondering if they saw cancer signs and symptoms that will be confirmed by the lab.

Comment from: Suzannah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

Had my breast biopsy done and it was good...No pain at all! I think they were extremely careful and gentle with me after I had a crying fit with my fear of needles.

Comment from: Paige, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I'm only 16 and I found a lump in my breast. In the hospital I had an ultra sound scan and then a biopsy, they took me in and gave me local anesthetic into my right breast, I have never experienced something as painful in all my life. Then they cut a little hole and stuck a big needle in me that clicked to take solid samples out of me then they bandaged me up, now a day on I have a bruise the size of an apple and I am in absolute agony. This was not a pleasant experience... at all.

Comment from: willow, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I underwent a breast biopsy this morning - for the first time. I was expecting a major 'ouch' factor. It didn't happen. The radiologist explained exactly what he was going to do. He froze the area prior to making a small slit in the breast tissue. Once it was frozen, he inserted an implement which sucked fluid out of the lump. I felt nothing but a mild pulling sensation and the click of the instrument. No pain at all. This was done twice. The small incision was bandaged and an ice pack applied to minimize bruising. The whole process took maybe 10 minutes. The technician did an ultra sound before the biopsy to pinpoint the lump's location. So...don't get uptight about the biopsy. It's straightforward and painless. What is difficult, of course, is waiting 7 - 10 days for the results!!! Good luck to you (and me!)

Comment from: SF, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had a surgical biopsy only to find out that they didn't even get the tissue they were trying to get. Now I have to wait a month and redo the entire surgery.

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I had a breast biopsy and it ruptured through the incision. It is worse now than before I went in for the biopsy. I had no lump or mass originally just blood from my nipple. Now I have a mass the size of a baseball and they tell me it will be two years before it goes away. I was told to go back to my surgeon but I am reluctant because of what happened the first time. By the way the ER doctors sent me home four times before it finally ruptured.

Breast Biopsy -- Indications Question: Did you have a breast biopsy? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?