Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Question:Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: Sabrina, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had an ultrasound guided core needle biopsy done on my right breast about a week ago for one palpable lump and another found during ultrasound. I was worried going in that it would be a painful experience but besides the small pinch when the anesthetic was injected, I felt absolutely nothing! I only had a little pain the next day, but nothing serious. I have the tiniest remnant of a small bruise, but all in all, I had no issues. Nothing like I was expecting it to be and though I hope I don't have to have another one, I won't be worried if I do.

Comment from: Gerri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

The first breast biopsy I had a few years ago went fine. The second one five months ago was horrible! I had breast cancer before and had two surgeries, chemo and radiation and this is by far worse than the cancer treatment. I got an infection from the last biopsy. I have been hospitalized twice for an infection (one was a staph infection and the other some sort of mycobacterium) from the core biopsy. I had to have debridement the last time and they lost my tissue samples after surgery. There was a mycobacterium in my breast, but they do not know what kind because they "lost" my tissue samples! I was put on home health care and a wound vac. It has been 5 months and I still have not healed and have a hole in my breast. I wish I had never gone in for that mammagram! I have missed so much work and endured so much pain from this. The worst part is that it may be in my breast still and I will need to go though this all over again.

Comment from: lovelife, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I had a core needle/ vacuum assisted biopsy done 3 weeks ago, I have had little to no pain up until yesterday, now my breast is sore to touch and move.

Comment from: Babydoll, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a surgical left breast biopsy over a week now, and I am still in pain. This is my 3rd breast biopsy and this is the worst one!

Comment from: cchilds1217, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 28

My 16 year old daughter found a lump 2 weeks ago. Within this two week period we were able to get her in to her PCP (primary care physician), get an ultrasound, get in to an oncologist and have it removed. Oct. Eighteenth was when it was removed. But the oncologist told us that when he removed it, it had doubled in size within 10 days. He said that there is a certain cancer that can be attached to fibroadenomas but I cannot find any information on cancerous fibroadenomas.

Comment from: BBBoomer 19, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a surgical breast biopsy yesterday. I have no pain and I don't need anything stronger than ibuprofen. My throat hurts more from the tube during surgery than the surgery. I had the wire and needle put in yesterday morning to mark the mass which could not be felt. I hate the binding that I have to wear because it makes it hard to sleep. I had a core needle biopsy in June and it was not that bad either. I don't have my results yet.

Comment from: Heather, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I had a biopsy done on my right breast on Friday it is now Monday night and I'm hurting so bad there is redness, swelling, and bruising....is it normal after 4 days.

Comment from: MajesticGoddess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I had an ultrasound guided breast biopsy last winter. I work in healthcare but I was terrified beyond belief to think of a long needle going into my breast. I stayed pretty terrified throughout the procedure. I'm a terrible patient, but really my fear was unwarranted. The needle to numb me felt like a bee sting. Other than that, I believe they took 6 different biopsies. I was on my back but had my eyes closed. Each time they went in, I didn't feel pain, just huge pressure and a very loud sound of the instrument. It didn't hurt at all. I left the sterile strip on for way too long thinking I was supposed to leave it on. I ended up on antibiotics and still have a pencil eraser sized red scar. The results were that I have fibroadenoma which made me so relieved. I don't care about the scar. The whole experience, the worry and the fear is huge and life changing. But have a good attitude and realize the procedure itself is painless and you'll handle it much better.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had the core needle biopsy and it was the worst thing I have ever gone through. The doctors and nurses were excellent so no reflection of them. I have very dense breast and the shot they gave me just bounced off the fibers in my breast. I had five shots but I could still feel the whole thing it felt like a drill going through my breast. I was told by a friend that it might be because I am allergic to sulfur. Can you tell me what that might have to do with it? Plus they hit a nerve. It turned out to be DCIS and they surgically removed it. That was a piece of cake, in and out same day.

Breast Biopsy -- Indications Question: Did you have a breast biopsy? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?