Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Question:Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I had the core needle biopsy performed today and truthfully, it was virtually painless. They gave me a local anesthetic to numb the area and I didn't even feel that. The nurse and doctor were very informative about the whole procedure. I was not nervous about it and watched them perform the procedure on the ultrasound monitor. Wish I did not have to go through this, but it went well. Should have my results by tomorrow. Hoping for the best.

Comment from: gogurl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had a core biopsy done yesterday morning and it was not bad at all. It helped that the nurse told me beforehand what the doctor would do and then once the doctor came in he explained everything as he was doing it. There was a slight sting when they inserted the needle to numb the breast and that is really all I felt even when they were removing the two specimen. Once the doctor started the procedure he was done in about 10 minutes. After the procedure the nurse showed me the instruments he used and how they worked and also showed me the 2 specimen that would be tested. It was quite interesting and helped knowing what to expect. The area was a sore last night and just a little bit sore today. Keeping the ice pack they give you on it has helped with swelling and I just have a very small bruise. Just biting at the bit waiting to find out the results that's the hardest part!

Comment from: Sabrina, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had an ultrasound guided core needle biopsy done on my right breast about a week ago for one palpable lump and another found during ultrasound. I was worried going in that it would be a painful experience but besides the small pinch when the anesthetic was injected, I felt absolutely nothing! I only had a little pain the next day, but nothing serious. I have the tiniest remnant of a small bruise, but all in all, I had no issues. Nothing like I was expecting it to be and though I hope I don't have to have another one, I won't be worried if I do.

Comment from: Gerri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

The first breast biopsy I had a few years ago went fine. The second one five months ago was horrible! I had breast cancer before and had two surgeries, chemo and radiation and this is by far worse than the cancer treatment. I got an infection from the last biopsy. I have been hospitalized twice for an infection (one was a staph infection and the other some sort of mycobacterium) from the core biopsy. I had to have debridement the last time and they lost my tissue samples after surgery. There was a mycobacterium in my breast, but they do not know what kind because they "lost" my tissue samples! I was put on home health care and a wound vac. It has been 5 months and I still have not healed and have a hole in my breast. I wish I had never gone in for that mammagram! I have missed so much work and endured so much pain from this. The worst part is that it may be in my breast still and I will need to go though this all over again.

Comment from: lovelife, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I had a core needle/ vacuum assisted biopsy done 3 weeks ago, I have had little to no pain up until yesterday, now my breast is sore to touch and move.

Comment from: Babydoll, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a surgical left breast biopsy over a week now, and I am still in pain. This is my 3rd breast biopsy and this is the worst one!

Comment from: cchilds1217, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 28

My 16 year old daughter found a lump 2 weeks ago. Within this two week period we were able to get her in to her PCP (primary care physician), get an ultrasound, get in to an oncologist and have it removed. Oct. Eighteenth was when it was removed. But the oncologist told us that when he removed it, it had doubled in size within 10 days. He said that there is a certain cancer that can be attached to fibroadenomas but I cannot find any information on cancerous fibroadenomas.

Comment from: BBBoomer 19, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a surgical breast biopsy yesterday. I have no pain and I don't need anything stronger than ibuprofen. My throat hurts more from the tube during surgery than the surgery. I had the wire and needle put in yesterday morning to mark the mass which could not be felt. I hate the binding that I have to wear because it makes it hard to sleep. I had a core needle biopsy in June and it was not that bad either. I don't have my results yet.

Comment from: Heather, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I had a biopsy done on my right breast on Friday it is now Monday night and I'm hurting so bad there is redness, swelling, and bruising....is it normal after 4 days.

Breast Biopsy -- Indications Question: Did you have a breast biopsy? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?