Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Question:Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: MJ, Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I had an MRI guided breast biopsy after a mammogram, ultrasound and breast MRI detected a 0.9 mm abnormality. The experience was not nearly as bad as I had heard or expected on the breast biopsy. The worst part was the lidocaine injections to numb the breast but, even that wasn't that bad. Once the breast is numb there is little to no pain. I felt a slight tugging sensation while the radiologist was taking the tissue samples but, I cannot say this was pain. In addition to the biopsy, I had a titanium marker placed in the breast so, if need be, a surgeon can locate the abnormality if it needs to be removed. I had the biopsy on December 30th and other than bruising, I took one Tylenol for a headache from all the worrying I did that really wasn't necessary. I am happy to report that the biopsy was benign however, the surgeon suggested I take out the tissue because of my family history.

Comment from: JOANN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I had a biopsy done (don't know which kind) but it was taken from the breast. I didn't want it but the technician and doctors insisted because their new equipment would reveal something that I already knew existed. They could see the mass which turned out to be calcium buildup. My oncologist nurse practitioner had always monitored and assured me that it was not an issue. Well, out of trust, I allowed the procedure to be carried out with much reservation. The result only validated what I already knew, however, the procedure has caused negative effects that is more frightening than had I not allowed the staff to proceed with the biopsy. Now I have pain deep in my chest and a shortness of breath and deep tissue pain under my shoulder blade area. I am scared. Today I decided to set my fear aside and research others' experiences and reveal mine. I am also suffering with loss of strength in my left arm and a slight numbness in the pinky of my right hand. I am scares to go back to the medical institution for support because when I left the doctor was trying to convince me to allow them to explore further into the area of concern. Also while looking at x-ray with doctor I notice that there was a cancer symbol marker placed in the area which I did not know or understand it would be left permanently in my body. I am scared, depressed, miserable, handicapped and this has been going on for over 4 months.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a core biopsy on 2 lumps in my breast and aspiration in a lump in my armpit. One of the lumps is under my nipple so I found that a very tender area, and when extracting the sample that was very painful. Because it is an incision, after the procedure they had to press down on the breast for about 5 minutes to help create a clog to stop the wound bleeding. I found the worst pain is when they snag the sample. The aspiration was fairly painless. I found it difficult to move for 24 hours as your breast is tender and needs support. I had a great camisole with built in support and it was a life saver. It has been 4 days now and worse part is ugly bruise.

Comment from: bonnie7188, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had an ultrasound guided core biopsy of my breast done yesterday. Before I went in I came on google to this site and many other sites and read everyone's horror stories, and I was so scared I almost didn't go. I did not feel a thing from start to finish. They said the numbing medicines would sting like a bee, I didn't even feel the numbing needles get inserted and the rest of it went by quickly. I didn't even know she was working on me. They said I would probably have pain and soreness, and to ice for that first day and take the Tylenol even if I didn't have any pain. I did both and have not in the last 24 hours had one ounce of pain or soreness. Every person's experience is different and mine was a positive one. Do not believe everything you read on these sites like I did is my advice to all of you scared enough to be searching on here, it was nothing.

Comment from: AN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had an MRI guided core needle biopsy with vacuum yesterday. The procedure itself was not bad. The pressing on my breast by the nurse afterward was tender (this is done so that you do not get hematoma). The mammogram that I had to have afterward was not as bad as I thought it would be. I came home and laid on the couch all day with a sports bra and ice on it constantly. My entire breast is sore today and when I move my right arm (same side as the biopsy) it is pretty sore. Overall not as bad as I thought it would be.

Comment from: Bucks baby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

Five weeks ago I had a surgical breast biopsy on my right breast, this was the second one on this breast. Within 4 hours after I came home, my entire breast turned dark black. The doctor, a doctor from his practice, and his medical assistant all saw me over a period of 4 weeks and all of them were surprised at the intensity and size (8 x 3 inches). At my 4 week check my doctor said I had a blood clot, and scheduled surgery the next day to remove it. The removal surgery went well and as of today 9 days post operation I have had no bruise, he did stitch this as opposed to Steri-Strips. But, my incision is still open in the center, approximately 1/8 of an inch. My skin is darker in the immediate area, I am afraid I may have necrosis now. I see the doctor in 4 days.

Breast Biopsy - Reasons Question: Why did you have a breast biopsy?
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?
Breast Biopsy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with breast biopsy.