Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Question:Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a core biopsy on 2 lumps in my breast and aspiration in a lump in my armpit. One of the lumps is under my nipple so I found that a very tender area, and when extracting the sample that was very painful. Because it is an incision, after the procedure they had to press down on the breast for about 5 minutes to help create a clog to stop the wound bleeding. I found the worst pain is when they snag the sample. The aspiration was fairly painless. I found it difficult to move for 24 hours as your breast is tender and needs support. I had a great camisole with built in support and it was a life saver. It has been 4 days now and worse part is ugly bruise.

Comment from: bonnie7188, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had an ultrasound guided core biopsy of my breast done yesterday. Before I went in I came on google to this site and many other sites and read everyone's horror stories, and I was so scared I almost didn't go. I did not feel a thing from start to finish. They said the numbing medicines would sting like a bee, I didn't even feel the numbing needles get inserted and the rest of it went by quickly. I didn't even know she was working on me. They said I would probably have pain and soreness, and to ice for that first day and take the Tylenol even if I didn't have any pain. I did both and have not in the last 24 hours had one ounce of pain or soreness. Every person's experience is different and mine was a positive one. Do not believe everything you read on these sites like I did is my advice to all of you scared enough to be searching on here, it was nothing.

Comment from: AN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had an MRI guided core needle biopsy with vacuum yesterday. The procedure itself was not bad. The pressing on my breast by the nurse afterward was tender (this is done so that you do not get hematoma). The mammogram that I had to have afterward was not as bad as I thought it would be. I came home and laid on the couch all day with a sports bra and ice on it constantly. My entire breast is sore today and when I move my right arm (same side as the biopsy) it is pretty sore. Overall not as bad as I thought it would be.

Comment from: Bucks baby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

Five weeks ago I had a surgical breast biopsy on my right breast, this was the second one on this breast. Within 4 hours after I came home, my entire breast turned dark black. The doctor, a doctor from his practice, and his medical assistant all saw me over a period of 4 weeks and all of them were surprised at the intensity and size (8 x 3 inches). At my 4 week check my doctor said I had a blood clot, and scheduled surgery the next day to remove it. The removal surgery went well and as of today 9 days post operation I have had no bruise, he did stitch this as opposed to Steri-Strips. But, my incision is still open in the center, approximately 1/8 of an inch. My skin is darker in the immediate area, I am afraid I may have necrosis now. I see the doctor in 4 days.

Comment from: worst bruise ever, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I had stereotactic breast biopsy in 2 sites, 7/11. It felt like some sort of medieval torture. They hit an artery with the second needle biopsy. Breast swelled up to twice normal size and then turned the color of an eggplant. One month later, I am still dealing with a painful hard hematoma the size of a lemon. I will never do this type of biopsy again! Both biopsies negative.

Comment from: ngram, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I'm 19 and had an ultrasound guided breast biopsy today. The procedure itself was a little intimidating and not very pleasant. I didn't feel the burning but I did go numb, the nurse even held my hand just so I would feel less scared. The only part that really bothered me was the part where she clicked. Now it is a couple hours later and the pain has died down. I have just a bit of awkwardness in that area and slight pain.

Comment from: tina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I had a MRI guided core needle biopsy done on my breast yesterday. Pain 24 hours later is not bad enough to warrant pain medications, just a little ice on the site. The pressure the nurse applied, afterwards helped; no clotting and haven't had any swelling at the site. Overall, not that bad.

Comment from: Adriennelw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have just had a core biopsy and can honestly say it was not at all nice. The real pain was when they clicked to get the sample. I am now sporting a magnificent black and blue breast. The pain is still there 11 days after the breast biopsy and I suppose it will eventually die down. The original lump is now huge but they did warn me about that. Chin up girls and grit your teeth, you might get luck and have no pain. It does, however, make you wonder why they don't give you some gas and air whilst doing it.

Comment from: pj, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had an ultrasound guided core biopsy of my breast yesterday. I'm 24 and not being familiar with this procedure made it very intimidating. The radiologist explained the procedure and showed me how the biopsy gun works so I could be familiar with that 'click' noise. I was given 2 numbing needles. I felt a bit of pain when it went into the lump in my breast but after that, I couldn't feel anything. A small slit was made into the skin and the biopsy needle was inserted into it. Four samples and 40 minutes later, I was cleaned up and wrapped in a bag of frozen peas. Twenty four hours later, I feel a bit of pain at the incision site, but not as bad as I had envisioned. I don't even feel the need for pain medication. Ask to squeeze a stress ball, I found it very helpful; and follow the instructions they give you, regarding icing and applying pressure.

Breast Biopsy - Reasons Question: Why did you have a breast biopsy?
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?
Breast Biopsy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with breast biopsy.