Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Question:Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: Dogwoman29, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I has a breast biopsy today. I spent a month scared to death of this procedure. The doctor was great. I hardly felt a prick of a needle and it was a painless procedure. I was shocked how painless it was. I am sore now the numbing effect has worn off but please don't be afraid. The hard part is waiting now.

Comment from: p36eaches, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I am a 36 year old woman, otherwise very healthy and active. I detected 2 lumps in my right breast and went in for a mammogram and ultrasound one week ago, with the ultrasound guided biopsy performed yesterday. Nothing that I read ahead of time prepared me for the experience I had on the table. I want others to know that if you have dense breast tissue, you will need more lidocaine injections to ensure the area is numb. They removed 5 'inchworms' (named after what they looked like) from my right breast and I could feel 3 of the 5 removals, one of them was especially painful. It is the day after and I am swollen and sore, which is to be expected. Wearing a sports bra to hold everything in tight and keeping a cold pack tucked in my bra is helping immensely. I am looking forward to the results of this biopsy, regardless of the findings, so that we can determine next steps and move forward.

Comment from: bizwoman, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I had an ultrasound guided breast biopsy yesterday. After web researching the procedure, I managed to scare myself silly. I had a major meltdown on the table just before they started the procedure. The doctor and nurses were so kind and gentle with me and helped calm me down. Because of my sensitivity to local anesthesia the doctor did a test injection and waited 10 minutes to see if I would react. I felt less of a stick than any normal flu shot (which generally doesn't hurt) and then when he did the numbing injection I merely felt a slight pressure (like if you were to press tap your fingernail on your skin). Although they asked if I wanted to see the biopsy needle I declined. They did however let me know when I would hear the click before they took the sample. I startle very easily after having a truck crash into my living room while I was sitting there. They used two different kinds of biopsy needles and took a total of 10 samples from two different spots. I didn't feel any of them, even though I was told I would feel pressure as they were guiding the needle into position. Nothing, no pain at all, other than my arm hurting later from the crazy position I had to hold it in due to the location of one of the suspect areas.

Comment from: LX, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had ultrasound guided core needle biopsy on right breast done yesterday at 1 pm. I had high anxiety but was given (prearranged by my general physician) Xanax to improve things. It calmed me now to near normal but I was still pretty wound up. Two doctors attended, one to do procedure (younger, I suspect a resident) and one older who said she was there to distract me (held my hand, answered questions) but was also directing the younger one it seemed; plus ultrasound technician. The entire thing went easily and with no pain whatsoever, I was surprised I barely even felt pressure. They used some freezing spray for initial lidocaine injection and I felt nothing after that. Four core samples (it is a little noisy) were taken and then I had to go for a mammogram to make sure the titanium marker was in the right spot. I got a ride home due to Xanax and slept four hours. I was up and cooking dinner and answering work email that night. I used breast-specific ice packs given all night on and off, tucked in a sport bra. I slept fine, there was some bruising and tenderness but I was back at work this morning and no issues. I am going to take off the bandages tonight. I was advised no swimming or baths for a week but shower is ok.

Comment from: MJ, Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I had an MRI guided breast biopsy after a mammogram, ultrasound and breast MRI detected a 0.9 mm abnormality. The experience was not nearly as bad as I had heard or expected on the breast biopsy. The worst part was the lidocaine injections to numb the breast but, even that wasn't that bad. Once the breast is numb there is little to no pain. I felt a slight tugging sensation while the radiologist was taking the tissue samples but, I cannot say this was pain. In addition to the biopsy, I had a titanium marker placed in the breast so, if need be, a surgeon can locate the abnormality if it needs to be removed. I had the biopsy on December 30th and other than bruising, I took one Tylenol for a headache from all the worrying I did that really wasn't necessary. I am happy to report that the biopsy was benign however, the surgeon suggested I take out the tissue because of my family history.

Comment from: JOANN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I had a biopsy done (don't know which kind) but it was taken from the breast. I didn't want it but the technician and doctors insisted because their new equipment would reveal something that I already knew existed. They could see the mass which turned out to be calcium buildup. My oncologist nurse practitioner had always monitored and assured me that it was not an issue. Well, out of trust, I allowed the procedure to be carried out with much reservation. The result only validated what I already knew, however, the procedure has caused negative effects that is more frightening than had I not allowed the staff to proceed with the biopsy. Now I have pain deep in my chest and a shortness of breath and deep tissue pain under my shoulder blade area. I am scared. Today I decided to set my fear aside and research others' experiences and reveal mine. I am also suffering with loss of strength in my left arm and a slight numbness in the pinky of my right hand. I am scares to go back to the medical institution for support because when I left the doctor was trying to convince me to allow them to explore further into the area of concern. Also while looking at x-ray with doctor I notice that there was a cancer symbol marker placed in the area which I did not know or understand it would be left permanently in my body. I am scared, depressed, miserable, handicapped and this has been going on for over 4 months.

Breast Biopsy - Reasons Question: Why did you have a breast biopsy?
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?
Breast Biopsy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with breast biopsy.