Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Question:Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: Pearlgurl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had a stereotactic core biopsy a few years ago for calcifications, and it was painless other than the usual sting of the shot to freeze the area. Not a bad experience other than waiting 2 weeks while the doctor was on vacation, to get results. Yesterday I had a vacuum assisted core biopsy and will never have one again! I got the Lidocaine shot and it numbed the skin where the incision was made. But the first time the machine went on there was a loud bang (I think that's the vacuum engaging) and it felt like a dart had been shot into my breast. So they gave me another Lidocaine shot. That shot did nothing either and I just wanted to get out of there at that point. So I just clenched my fist and got through with the 7 other samples they took. Maybe they were rushing and not waiting for the Lidocaine to take effect all the way, or it could be due to dense breast tissue. This is my third biopsy. First was a lumpectomy also benign. I would rather have a lumpectomy than one of these stereotactic vacuum assisted core biopsies.

Comment from: Regretful patient, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I went through a core needle biopsy 2.5 years ago and I still wonder if it was the biggest mistake of my life. Puncture and taking the samples didn't hurt, but after each of the 8 samples taken, the doctor would put pressure (leaning with all her weight right on my breast) I told her it was very painful, but she insisted that it needed to be done. She repeated this the 8 times. By the time the procedure was over, I was in the most terrible pain I've ever felt, I could barely walk or talk or stand still, I had someone get me some pain killers and that made the pain manageable. I thought that should pass (the doctor said so), but it didn't, for a whole year I couldn't even touch my breast, it was still tender and swollen and even contact with my own arm was painful. The pain wasn't like regular pain associated with the cycle, it is a feeling like when someone else twists your hand until it hurts. It's been 2.5 years now and it still hurts, I can touch my breast although it does hurt "a little", from the moment I had the biopsy on, I frequently have a pulsating pain behind my breast and sometimes the pain is so much I can't even go to bed. The biopsy results showed that the lump was a fibroadenoma, so it wasn't cancer. What I wonder now is If hitting one's breasts can cause cancer, what can having a 150 pound woman pressing on my breast with all her might for 20 min cause. Before the procedure they tell you all about the needle, but none told me about all this pressing on my breast. Had I known about it, I wonder if I would have gone through with the procedure or if I would have preferred checking the lump continuously with less invasive methods.

Comment from: worry-girls, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I had an ultrasound guided core needle biopsy today and it went really well, there was no pain at all and the nurses and doctors were ever so kind to me. I was very nervous, but it was way better than what I expected, I was stressed because of bad reviews that I read, but I had excellent experience!

Comment from: Denise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I just had an ultrasound biopsy today. All went well until they took the second piece of tissue for biopsy. It was extremely painful for a couple of seconds. Not enough lidocaine was used. I begged for more lidocaine, but was told the third time would not hurt. Well, it did. By the way, it was not cancerous; it was a pus filled lump. I will go to my primary care physician to follow up.

Comment from: caz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had a core biopsy done yesterday on a lump in my left breast that I have had for over 10 years. I have severe osteoarthritis, cervical and lumbar spondylosis and I am waiting for knee surgery to remove some 'bony spurs' that are floating in my left knee cap and causing locking and severe pain. I have had two children and also had an ectopic pregnancy that lasted 6 weeks. I am on all manner of pain medications including morphine. I thought I had a high pain threshold until yesterday; the pain was terrible. I have had numerous breast cysts drained with a needle in the past and never felt a thing. I also had a fine needle biopsy, again with no pain. If they need to do another core biopsy in the future they will need to 'knock me out' because otherwise it is not going to happen. It took forever and I was given two shots of local anesthetic.

Comment from: Jd, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had a breast biopsy done around 2 months ago and I've never experienced anything so painful in my life. They couldn't go through with it because it hurt so much. I'm only 21 and they think it is a breast abscess but 2 months down the line I'm now sitting here with tissue on my breast as I had a purple-y pimple and it has burst. I have a hole in my breast and I still don't know what it is. A biopsy is the best thing to do to find out what is the cause of lump, inverted nipples etc. I'll be going to the doctor's again tomorrow.

Comment from: Lordyc, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I had an ultrasound-guided core needle biopsy yesterday. All I really felt was a few little pricks from the Lidocaine shot. After that it was just pressure and tugging a bit! I'll tell ya, I was more nervous than I should have been! It was easy! Just a little swollen and sore today.

Breast Biopsy -- Indications Question: Did you have a breast biopsy? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?