Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Question:Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: yvesimp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I had my breast biopsy this morning. I went from 3 to 5 different cysts to have samples taken from. So right now ice packs and Tylenol are my best friends. But I'm lucky. The hospital I go to had a required class that I had to take before the procedure. It was myself and 3 other women. The procedure, instruments, recovery, and possible side effects were explained. The nurse teaching the class did explain that if the cyst doesn't close in on itself quick enough after the needle is withdrawn then blood can fill that area causing a lump and excess bruising. If you have concerns definitely contact your doctor don't wait for him/her to call you. By the way this is my second one.

Comment from: ozleplot, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I had an ultrasound-guided core needle breast biopsy and it was seriously the easiest and most painless process ever. Everything I had read online had made me so anxious, I had an anxiety attack when I got to the clinic. I'm 20 years old with a very low pain tolerance, and the doctor gave me three shots to numb the area (which didn't hurt) and from then on, I felt nothing. I enjoyed watching the process on the ultrasound screen, and did not even feel like it was my own body the biopsy needle was going into, because it was so painless. The needle made a clicking sound every time he drew a sample, and he took about 7 from me. He closed the incision with Steri-Strips and placed an icepack in the area. I felt fine and went to eat out with my parents afterwards, and felt zero pain during my recovery, though there was a little swelling/bruising in the area at first. I'm writing this review to make sure no one else has to panic and dread such a quick procedure like I did!

Comment from: Dogwoman29, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I has a breast biopsy today. I spent a month scared to death of this procedure. The doctor was great. I hardly felt a prick of a needle and it was a painless procedure. I was shocked how painless it was. I am sore now the numbing effect has worn off but please don't be afraid. The hard part is waiting now.

Comment from: p36eaches, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I am a 36 year old woman, otherwise very healthy and active. I detected 2 lumps in my right breast and went in for a mammogram and ultrasound one week ago, with the ultrasound guided biopsy performed yesterday. Nothing that I read ahead of time prepared me for the experience I had on the table. I want others to know that if you have dense breast tissue, you will need more lidocaine injections to ensure the area is numb. They removed 5 'inchworms' (named after what they looked like) from my right breast and I could feel 3 of the 5 removals, one of them was especially painful. It is the day after and I am swollen and sore, which is to be expected. Wearing a sports bra to hold everything in tight and keeping a cold pack tucked in my bra is helping immensely. I am looking forward to the results of this biopsy, regardless of the findings, so that we can determine next steps and move forward.

Comment from: bizwoman, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I had an ultrasound guided breast biopsy yesterday. After web researching the procedure, I managed to scare myself silly. I had a major meltdown on the table just before they started the procedure. The doctor and nurses were so kind and gentle with me and helped calm me down. Because of my sensitivity to local anesthesia the doctor did a test injection and waited 10 minutes to see if I would react. I felt less of a stick than any normal flu shot (which generally doesn't hurt) and then when he did the numbing injection I merely felt a slight pressure (like if you were to press tap your fingernail on your skin). Although they asked if I wanted to see the biopsy needle I declined. They did however let me know when I would hear the click before they took the sample. I startle very easily after having a truck crash into my living room while I was sitting there. They used two different kinds of biopsy needles and took a total of 10 samples from two different spots. I didn't feel any of them, even though I was told I would feel pressure as they were guiding the needle into position. Nothing, no pain at all, other than my arm hurting later from the crazy position I had to hold it in due to the location of one of the suspect areas.

Comment from: LX, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had ultrasound guided core needle biopsy on right breast done yesterday at 1 pm. I had high anxiety but was given (prearranged by my general physician) Xanax to improve things. It calmed me now to near normal but I was still pretty wound up. Two doctors attended, one to do procedure (younger, I suspect a resident) and one older who said she was there to distract me (held my hand, answered questions) but was also directing the younger one it seemed; plus ultrasound technician. The entire thing went easily and with no pain whatsoever, I was surprised I barely even felt pressure. They used some freezing spray for initial lidocaine injection and I felt nothing after that. Four core samples (it is a little noisy) were taken and then I had to go for a mammogram to make sure the titanium marker was in the right spot. I got a ride home due to Xanax and slept four hours. I was up and cooking dinner and answering work email that night. I used breast-specific ice packs given all night on and off, tucked in a sport bra. I slept fine, there was some bruising and tenderness but I was back at work this morning and no issues. I am going to take off the bandages tonight. I was advised no swimming or baths for a week but shower is ok.

Breast Biopsy - Reasons Question: Why did you have a breast biopsy?
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?
Breast Biopsy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with breast biopsy.