- Stages of Pregnancy Slideshow Pictures
- Early Pregnancy Symptoms
- Conception (Egg to Embryo) Slideshow Pictures
- Patient Comments: Braxton Hicks Contractions - Experience
- Find a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Quick GuideStages of Pregnancy Pictures Slideshow: See the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Trimesters of Mom & Baby
What do Braxton Hicks contractions feel like?
Braxton-Hicks contractions are not typically as painful as those of true labor contractions may be. Some women describe them as a tightening sensation across the lower abdomen. They may feel similar to menstrual cramps in some women. The abdomen may become firm to the touch. They do not occur at regular intervals.
What can be done if Braxton Hicks contractions are uncomfortable?
There are measures that can be taken to bring about relief if Braxton-Hicks contractions are uncomfortable:
- Changing positions, such as taking a walk, or resting if you have been active;
- Drinking a glass of water, or a cup of herbal tea;
- Performing relaxation exercises, deep breathing, or mental relaxation;
- Eating something;
- Bathing in warm bath for up to 30 minutes;