Patient Comments: Branchial Cyst - Treatment

Did you have surgery for your branchial cyst? If so, please share your experience.

Comment from: Lindsey22, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I found out I had a branchial cleft cyst when I was 17 years old. The doctors thought for months that it was a swollen lymph node. I got a PET scan and that determined that it was a branchial cleft cyst. I had surgery a few weeks after diagnosis. The surgery went smoothly and the scar is barely noticeable. My neck was sore for a few days after surgery but overall was a very easy recovery.

Comment from: Will, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 19

I had what turned out to be a branchial cleft cyst after having biopsy and CT scan. The fine needle aspiration (biopsy) greatly irritated and hardened the cyst causing pain and alarm, and I nearly opted for what would have been unnecessary major neck surgery, under urgent pressure from all medical people to do so quickly. The cyst is entirely gone now (4 months later) and the treatment was a traditional Chinese herbal tea prescribed and made by a Chinese doctor. Amazing result, saving me upwards of USD 50K.

Comment from: Wishing1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I was in my 30s, felt fine but noticed a lump in my neck that didn't go down but kept growing. I went to my doctor who thought it could be lymphoma and surgery was done shortly afterward. Easy surgery even though the branchial cyst was golf ball size. Couple of years later, they found I had an AVM (arteriovenous malformation) which is also a congenital defect. Surgery was a success in that too but I wonder why all the birth defects.

Comment from: Girl, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I have a bronchial cleft cyst. A couple years back I thought it was just nodes. We got it checked again a couple months ago. Turns out, it was a birth defect. I have gotten biopsies, tests, scans. I will be getting surgery soon. Wish me luck!

Branchial Cyst - Experience Question: Please describe your personal experience with a branchial cyst.
Branchial Cyst - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms that made you aware of your branchial cyst?