Patient Comments: Branchial Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms that made you aware of your branchial cyst?

Comment from: happy dad, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 16

At 3 months my daughter had swelling on her left side below her ear/ jaw line. The doctor said it was probably just a swollen lymph node. It was swollen until 3 years and 4 months when she was placed on antibiotics for a nasty cough. This caused the bump on her neck to begin growing. Doctor referred us to an ENT specialist. The ENT did a biopsy and ruled out cancer, then performed an MRI which showed the, branchial cyst sitting just under her skin with no tail attached to it. Had there been a tail or trailing tube, we would have had to go to a children's hospital for removal. Four days ago the branchial cyst was removed. It had some very bad infection within/around the cyst and my little girl will require 2 months of antibiotics now to ensure the infection does not return. To remove the cyst they cut the muscle in your neck that draws the lower corner of your mouth out when you smile. My little girl's smile is crooked but, the doctor says that will improve as the muscles in her neck strengthen. We are terribly relieved to have this behind us, and to have our healthy little girl back on the playground of life.

Comment from: Z, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I didn"t know about my branchial cyst until MRI screening. I had pain that goes on one side of my head and ear, so I decided to go to my general physician. There was fluid so I had biopsy test and am waiting for my result.

Branchial Cyst - Experience Question: Please describe your personal experience with a branchial cyst.
Branchial Cyst - Treatment Question: Did you have surgery for your branchial cyst? If so, please share your experience.