Patient Comments: Brain Tumor - Symptoms

The symptoms of brain tumor can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Gilly, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 30

I was eventually diagnosed with brain tumor in December 2014. My behavior changed, I was very upbeat, but confused, especially in regard to time. The general physician diagnosed dementia but we paid for an MRI, and this showed a 6 cm x 6 cm tumor glioma.

Comment from: Joseph, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I retired from the US Army and also retired from civil service. I have been retired for 14 years. On March 2, 2016, I was sitting on the couch when my son asked me a question. I didn't answer and he said my eyes were fixed. I recall seeing the EMT (emergency medical technician) guys entering the room. After that, I didn't wake up until I was in the hospital. I don't recall any brain problems. The doctors said I had a seizure. The brain tumor was about the size of a nickel and was cancerous.

Comment from: bug eye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I have benign brain tumor surrounding my left eye. I had no pain but my eye started bugging out. I went to many doctors and finally diagnosed with brain tumor, surgery in two weeks. I'm scared I won't be the same after this.

Comment from: Brenda das, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

Before I was diagnosed with brain tumor, I started to feel lost whilst driving the car. I couldn't find my way home. I couldn't get my clothes on, the right way round. I started to arrive late to my teaching classes but my memory was in general fine with other things. I knocked over drinks and walked into things. I lost my coordination on the left side.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I was diagnosed with a brain tumor in August 2015. I had tingling in three toes of the left foot for some time which was treated as a trapped nerve. Gradually I noticed the left leg getting weaker and asked to be referred to a neurologist who detected brisk reflexes on the left side. He ordered a spine MRI which was normal. Several months passed by and the weakness continued. Eventually by returning to the neurologist I had a head MRI which showed a large parietal lobe tumor and brain swelling. Once diagnosed, a craniotomy was performed and the tumor was shown to be benign.

Comment from: silverjerry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I had double knee replacement in December 2014. I began doing weird things leaving lights on and open doors. Then my left side went numb and I began falling down, I stayed outside in northern Wisconsin for a 1/2 hour in 18 degree temperature. It was time to go to the emergency room. The doctor said I had a stroke, did an MRI and said I have some bad news. (I was thinking worse than a stroke!) She informed me of the tennis ball sized tumor residing in the middle of my front brain, and I was off for emergency brain surgery. I then had radiation along with chemotherapy nightmare. Oh well, pushing myself as hard as I can gives me purpose. Peace and love to all.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I had a brain tumor and on December 12, 2014 I had it removed. Since I came home from the hospital I have had bad problems with my blood pressure. I have had several visits back to the hospital, and I am now having to take physical therapy. I am having a lot of trouble with walking and I am lightheaded and weak most of the time. This has been going on for 5 months. The tumor was the size of a golf ball and I had swelling of the brain around it.

Brain Tumor - Types Question: Please describe the type of brain tumor you have.
Brain Tumor - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you undergo for your brain tumor?
Brain Tumor - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for a brain tumor.
Brain Tumor - In Children Question: Was your child diagnosed with a brain tumor? Please share your experience.