Patient Comments: Brain Tumor - Symptoms

The symptoms of brain tumor can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: UNPHASED, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I had a few of what I later learned were "auras" . Anxious feelings and odd sensations that were unusual for me a typically gregarious individual. I have been in a 20 year relationship and my gf noticed my unusual behaviors so we scheduled an MRI which revealed the tumor. No headaches, no pain , virtually no other symptoms other than unusual feelings of paranoia. My tumor was/is thankfully a low level glioma which will require regular MRI scans but my situation is better than most so I feel fortunate.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had bad headaches, occasional simple seizures, trouble controlling my bowels and bladder, and occasional nausea and vomiting after dining out.

Comment from: crono_220, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

One year ago I found out that I had a benign brain tumor around 9 cm large in my head. It caused me many great headaches and was pushing against my brain, causing my sight to deteriorate. Thankfully I had my mom with me to support my hour of need. After I was diagnosed I went under the knife the next day. I really thought I was going to die. Thankfully after a week the surgery was successful. I recovered and have started on a path to eating healthy and exercising more.

Comment from: wyograbdna, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 24

My grandson was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor nine years ago when he was 5. He had an operation, received radiation and chemotherapy, and has done beautifully. He is smart and athletic. He has taken growth hormones. He has had a hearing problem, and two days ago, we found out his "brain is coming out of the hole in his skull" (His father's words). He will be operated on next week.

Comment from: Louise, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I started having seizures, which I thought were a result of a laparoscopy I had. My doctor thought they were epilepsy, so she sent me for tests. That's when the brain tumor was found.

Comment from: Snowybrooke, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

The symptoms I had with my brain tumor included numbness on the right side of my tongue and then a day later, numbness on the right side of my lips. Within a week, my cheek, nose, eye, and ear on the right side all went numb. I also had slurred speech.

Comment from: Stacey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was just diagnosed with a brain tumor. I don't even know if it is cancerous or not yet. Several lesions had everyone scrambling for an MS diagnosis. The second MRI showed the tumor. My head hurts, and I have painful pressure in my ears. I couldn't remember my dog's name the other night, and I can't concentrate on reading or writing anymore unless it is short periods. My short-term memory is bad, but my long-term is still pretty good. Thank God I haven't had any seizures or stomach upsets.

Comment from: Steve, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I have always had headaches, but they got stronger in the last two months. I thought I was just having a bad toothache and went to see a dentist. I started having trouble remembering words and would have to make one up to cover for what I was talking about. One morning at work I could not remember what I was trying to tell a family I was working with (I am a funeral director/embalmer). I could see what I wanted to say, but I couldn't make the words go together. I left work talking confused and my co-workers and family got me to go to the ER. They did a CAT scan and found a cloud. They did an MRI at a larger hospital the next day and found a tumor on the left side above and in front of my ear, about the size of a golf ball. They don't know how long it has been there, but I am to have surgery two days from now to remove and see if it is cancer or not.

Brain Tumor - Types Question: Please describe the type of brain tumor you have.
Brain Tumor - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you undergo for your brain tumor?
Brain Tumor - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for a brain tumor.
Brain Tumor - In Children Question: Was your child diagnosed with a brain tumor? Please share your experience.