Patient Comments: Brain Tumor - Symptoms

The symptoms of brain tumor can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had no headaches at all. I had a brain seizure, my husband called 911 and I was rushed to the hospital. The doctors said after my scan that I had a mass on my brain. They didn't think it was cancer by my blood work. I had scans done on my whole body, which came back negative from cancer. A few days later I had the tumor removed everything went well. I was on Keppra for 3 months. My surgery was done in March. Two weeks and I had another seizure, was put back on Keppra.

Comment from: Pat, Female (Caregiver) Published: November 13

I have lived and worked in the health service in the USA, England and Northern Ireland and notice a large number or brain tumors in rural Ireland. In my village of 600 people I know of at least 10 who have brain tumors and with virtually no pollution. I fear it could be due to the phosphates and waste which gets into the water system from the farmers fields. Many fish have also died here in the past 10 years. I wondered if these things are linked.

Comment from: bryan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I am most concerned I feel nausea every day light headed and extremely dry mouth, I also pick up strong smells that others say aren't there. I have yellow discoloring of the fingers and have trouble concentrating words are difficult. My problem is that I am in Borneo jungle with little health care. I feel I must return to UK. Would any one know the best place to go?

Comment from: kry love, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 13

I am nineteen years old and recently I found out my mom was told she had a brain tumor. When I talked to someone about it, she told me the best thing I could do was to tell my mom, I was there for her and supported her. Sometimes having someone there is the best medicine for the patient.

Comment from: sonia johnson, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 2000 and thank god it was benign. I was pregnant at the time and I guess that created the spring board for the onset of my headaches. After the hospital did a c-section and took my baby, they then did an mri and discovered that I had a brain tumor. I am now tumor free after 8 years and must return on a regular basis for my check ups.

Published: July 10

I had a brain tumor some years ago, which was removed after a 13-hour operation. My right inner ear was removed, and I had to have treatment for vocal chords. (I can't sing anymore!) My right shoulder is paralyzed, and I have great difficulty in swallowing. The right side of my face is not quite in alignment with the left side. But I am grateful that I can do most things, drive etc. I am now 75 years old. It took two years to find the tumor, which was buried deep at base of my brain and affected my nervous system. I am thankful to the doctors and surgeons who operated on me.

Brain Tumor - Types Question: Please describe the type of brain tumor you have.
Brain Tumor - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you undergo for your brain tumor?
Brain Tumor - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for a brain tumor.
Brain Tumor - In Children Question: Was your child diagnosed with a brain tumor? Please share your experience.