Patient Comments: Brain Tumor - Symptoms

The symptoms of brain tumor can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Snowybrooke, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

The symptoms I had with my brain tumor included numbness on the right side of my tongue and then a day later, numbness on the right side of my lips. Within a week, my cheek, nose, eye, and ear on the right side all went numb. I also had slurred speech.

Comment from: Stacey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was just diagnosed with a brain tumor. I don't even know if it is cancerous or not yet. Several lesions had everyone scrambling for an MS diagnosis. The second MRI showed the tumor. My head hurts, and I have painful pressure in my ears. I couldn't remember my dog's name the other night, and I can't concentrate on reading or writing anymore unless it is short periods. My short-term memory is bad, but my long-term is still pretty good. Thank God I haven't had any seizures or stomach upsets.

Comment from: Steve, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I have always had headaches, but they got stronger in the last two months. I thought I was just having a bad toothache and went to see a dentist. I started having trouble remembering words and would have to make one up to cover for what I was talking about. One morning at work I could not remember what I was trying to tell a family I was working with (I am a funeral director/embalmer). I could see what I wanted to say, but I couldn't make the words go together. I left work talking confused and my co-workers and family got me to go to the ER. They did a CAT scan and found a cloud. They did an MRI at a larger hospital the next day and found a tumor on the left side above and in front of my ear, about the size of a golf ball. They don't know how long it has been there, but I am to have surgery two days from now to remove and see if it is cancer or not.

Published: June 19

I was having minor seizures everyday not knowing that they were seizures. People at work and family members would ask me if I was okay every time I had an episode. They would tell me I was saying things that didn't make sense when I was having an episode and I would have no memory of it. I remember being extremely tired after I had an episode, napping often. I finally seen a doctor regarding it and they first diagnosed me with anxiety and thought the episodes I tried explaining to them were panic attacks and sent me home with a bottle of Xanax. Without the proper diagnosis my symptoms started worsening losing memory, being unconscious due to the seizures which resulted in 3 car accidents. I went back a 2nd time they finally gave me a MRI and found a tumor a size of golf ball. I was one of the fortunate ones with a benign ganglioma where surgery was possible and successful. No one would be able to tell that I had a brain surgery today unless I revealed it to them. God is Good.

Published: June 18

I am a black female, age 57. At the age of 44, I had a benign brain tumor removed. My symptoms were trouble walking, slight change in my personality and trouble putting my thoughts in order. My tumor was located behind my left ear, the portion of the brain that affects your motor skills. My husband passed three days after my diagnosis.

Published: June 16

My husband had vision loss (rapid onset of losing one half vision in one eye, a third in the other), and a rather peculiar symptom of suddenly smelling something not in his environment, a smell he could recall from his past but could not specifically identify - this would last for a minute or so. We went to six doctors with them not finding a cause for it. Then in a week he began having speech difficulties, where he could not say the correct word for something - at that point an MRI was done, and the docs found he had a malignant (secondary) brain tumor.

Published: June 13

My mum was 63 and she had a seizure, when she had a scan it showed a tumor the size of an egg in her brain it was on the left side of her brain and affected her speech and right side, mum had her operation and most was removed, mum came home for a month, and then the seizures started again, Doctors gave mum a date for chemo of 4th July but mum lost her battle for life on the 3rd July, the tumor grew downwards deeper into her brain and she lost speech, movement, swallowing. Mums brave battle lasted ten weeks, the sooner a cure and treatment is found for this cruel disease the better.

Brain Tumor - Types Question: Please describe the type of brain tumor you have.
Brain Tumor - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you undergo for your brain tumor?
Brain Tumor - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for a brain tumor.
Brain Tumor - In Children Question: Was your child diagnosed with a brain tumor? Please share your experience.