Patient Comments: Brain Tumor - Symptoms

The symptoms of brain tumor can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Jules, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had a benign tumor, close to my brain stem, removed last year February 2013! I would like to know if anyone has experienced bladder or bowel problems! I am healing well from brain tumor but my bladder pain is causing me terrible distress! I've been to the urologist and they can find nothing and concluded in must be the brain tumor!

Comment from: henry, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I'm 25, I've been having a lot of weird headaches, not normal ones, very hard that last for seconds and then go. I have blurry vision, loss of balance and feel dizzy at times along with a lot of nausea. I pretty much have almost every brain tumor symptoms but I don't have healthcare. Ive been trying to get a free one from the government but it takes a lot of time to get it so now I'm just waiting. Some days are better than others, sometimes the symptoms are very strong and at other times they are barely noticeable. If you feel something like that and you have the chance to go to a doctor, do it, don't think twice. I am very scared and I haven't told this to any of my family members.

Comment from: Sharlton, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I am 25 and I had a brain tumor the size of a tennis ball and it sat right there at my frontal left side. I just want to let you know that, that part of your brain contains your speech, your balance and your sight. You see, they have removed my tumor in November 2013 but I still have all those problems. But now I am getting radiation, only 30 sessions but I had to there between Monday and Friday at least my radiation is going to end at Tuesday 4th of March and I can"t wait for that because I have only 3 sessions left.

Comment from: jenniferrsw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had headaches but they did not seem abnormal. I had an MRI years ago and was diagnosed with migraines. My first real indication with brain tumor was a massive seizure. I woke up in an ambulance and was in 3 hospitals in 4 days.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 24

My dad (73) has been diagnosed with a grade 4 brain tumor. He had his biopsy, and it is the worst form he could have. He had a small dose of radiation therapy, more for quality of life than to ease the swelling. Nothing more can be done for him, and we are still in shock as our dad had no previous symptoms. He was rarely sick. He did have stroke-like symptoms that were diagnosed when he went to the doctor, but as the symptoms got worse, his doctor referred him to the hospital. In his case, he did not suffer with any pain or headaches. So it goes to show, symptoms are not always present.

Comment from: Allyson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

Six years before they discovered my brain tumor, I visited the doctors several times. I had a blood clot to my eye, and they didn't know why. I was 46 at the time. Then I experienced tightening across my shoulders and shortness of breath. I was getting palpitations and was put under the care of a heart doctor who found a mild swelling of the aorta. After that, I got headaches and dizzy spells. Then, finally, I had a stroke down the left side of my face. My tumor was benign. It was as big as a kiwi fruit and was called a left anterior fossa meningioma cavernous sinus. It was removed with an eight-hour operation five months ago. Now I feel great, apart from still being numb on the site of the operation and having thinning hair. I'm so pleased with the doctors for saving my life; it's fantastic.

Comment from: Survivor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

With my brain tumor, I had headaches for many, many years, but I thought they were because of job stress and being a single mom, etc. Eventually, they got really bad, and I could hardly see anything out of my right eye. My optometrist had a look and told me to go see a specialist immediately. I was diagnosed with a grapefruit-sized meningioma, which was removed three years ago after a 13-hour operation. I am still blind in one eye, and I experience numbness on the right side of my face. I have learned to live this way, I was told I might end up being paralyzed.

Brain Tumor - Types Question: Please describe the type of brain tumor you have.
Brain Tumor - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you undergo for your brain tumor?
Brain Tumor - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for a brain tumor.
Brain Tumor - In Children Question: Was your child diagnosed with a brain tumor? Please share your experience.