Patient Comments: Brain Tumor - Symptoms

The symptoms of brain tumor can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: positive, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I started having vision problems that consisted of lightning strikes and black spots, loss of balance, loss of hearing on one side, facial numbness and swallowing difficulties. It took doctors nine months to agree to refer me to a specialist that found an inoperable benign tumor on my brain stem. I wasn"t given a favorable diagnosis and started using natural remedies, I have been lucky as it has been held at bay for the last seven years. Doctors are surprised and tell me to keep doing what I"m doing.

Comment from: Shivi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I"m 36 and got operated for brain stem benign tumor on January 18, 2014. That was just after a week I got to know that I was suffering from brain tumor. My symptoms were there for almost a year and they were throbbing pain, loss of balance, nausea, blindness and irritability. All these were for fractions of seconds. I could diagnose my problem by the help and advice of an eye surgeon. I profusely thank him for making me aware at the right time.

Comment from: Brandy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I'm a 33 year old brain tumor survivor. I found out when I was 23 that I have a central neurocytoma. I had terrible migraines for over two years, loss of balance, nausea, floaters, temporary blindness and dizziness.

Comment from: Ernie167, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was diagnosed with a meningioma and a brain stem tumor in August 2013. They are benign but I have symptoms daily, mild headaches, dizziness and nausea. I was just put on medications yesterday. Let's see if they will control my symptoms.

Comment from: Rose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I have been getting bad headaches for over a year now. I am dizzy, nauseous, my ears keep feeling clogged and everything echoes, and they are ringing. I lost about 4 lb. I went to an ENT and they did a hearing test they said that I have a little loss of hearing and that there is no fluid in my ears. They are scheduling an MRI for me. I am worried if these could be symptoms of brain tumor.

Comment from: apartmenttwoa, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 16

I was having terrible headaches for months and finally decided to go in after blacking out on a few occasions, when I was diagnosed with brain tumor.

Comment from: Meagan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have dizzy spells before I pass out. It happens for no reason at random times. I've progressively been losing sight in my right eye until it has all but deteriorated. I have random nausea and vomiting, though not often. I get the hiccups every day and they are so hard that they actually hurt my lungs. They told me I was anemic which is why I kept passing out, and then my doctor told me I had a spastic diaphragm disorder because of hiccups. The pressure behind my eyes can be unbearable. I want to know what is actually wrong, why all the odd, seemingly unrelated health issues. I want to know what is going on with my body, but I fear the problem is in my brain.

Comment from: terry7r8, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

Luckily I work for neurosurgeons. I started having headaches on Monday last week. By Wednesday, one of the doctors noticed dropping on one side of my face, and I went for scans. A mass was found in my brain, I had a biopsy on Thursday and was home by Saturday. I will start chemotherapy/radiation in about 4 weeks. I'm a very positive person and believe that as I speak it the disease is healing in my head. I was very lucky.

Brain Tumor - Types Question: Please describe the type of brain tumor you have.
Brain Tumor - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you undergo for your brain tumor?
Brain Tumor - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for a brain tumor.
Brain Tumor - In Children Question: Was your child diagnosed with a brain tumor? Please share your experience.