Patient Comments: Brain Tumor - Symptoms

The symptoms of brain tumor can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I had a brain tumor and on December 12, 2014 I had it removed. Since I came home from the hospital I have had bad problems with my blood pressure. I have had several visits back to the hospital, and I am now having to take physical therapy. I am having a lot of trouble with walking and I am lightheaded and weak most of the time. This has been going on for 5 months. The tumor was the size of a golf ball and I had swelling of the brain around it.

Comment from: Carl, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I was having problems with my right hand not working correctly. Trying to type or write was difficult. I thought that I had something out of whack, and had gone to several chiropractors thinking that would help. After a couple of weeks, I was sitting in my chair, when my face started twitching uncontrollably. Little did I know I would soon be diagnosed with stage IV brain tumor. People asked if I had headaches, which I didn't. Those were my only symptoms.

Comment from: Ang4eva9, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I had a mal grand seizure in August. I then found out I had been having partial seizures for months before. They diagnosed me as having epilepsy. They then found a figure on my MRI which they believed to be a tumor. It is located in my right temporal lobe. I have to wait a month to take another MRI to see if it is growing and go from there. What I am confused about is why we would keep it in my head even if it is benign. The whole waiting is killing me. I have at least one partial seizure a day. My memory is getting bad and I can't remember what I have said, where I put things, and put names or numbers to things. I have had mood swings mostly feeling sad and am always tired. I get random headaches that can last minutes to hours. I just hate putting things on hold because I am not sure what to do next.

Comment from: Rking77911, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I didn't notice it unless I was around loud music, then afterwards I'd feel drunk with loss of balance. Also if I closed my eyes while standing, I'd wobble and lose balance. Then one morning I woke up very dizzy, bouncing into the walls. I thought it was an inner ear infection, was lying down with a heating pad and as I started to sit up my ear started ringing. At the time the brain tumor hadn't been diagnosed.

Comment from: JB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I started with memory problems, then my vision change dramatically. I had sensation of burning, I thought maybe hot flashes, at least 15 a day and continued adding. I had migraines, sensitivity to sound and light, needle pain to my left ear, and nausea. And today a new symptom from the brain tumor, a constant sound in my head and is not going away since 4 pm. Current time 7:05 pm. I had radiation treatment for 30 sessions around C3 and C4 (my tumor was eating this cervical vertebrae was not cancerous). I had more than 10 MRI and CT scans. I'm a 48 year old woman weighing 150 lb.

Comment from: katn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I have a brain tumor, I don't have a name for it yet. I'm waiting now for biopsy results. I'm told it's been there a while, it's located in the right parietal lobe kind of into frontal lobe too. My symptoms have been many till finding, first the bone-weary exhaustion, pain in all my body, double vision, optic migraines, and always what I thought was carpal tunnel. Then I guess it grew some. My ears sing all the time, sound like all the bugs an birds in the world... good thing I'm deaf, ha ha. Then the hammer fell while trying to get treatment for fibromyalgia and sacroiliitis. I was given Cymbalta to take, boy, I did not think I'd live through that very bad experience. But it left me without the use of my left arm, very little balance, and speech difficulties. Which led to immediate MRI and finding of brain tumor. I'm working to regain what I lost and can use my arm again, but fine motor skills just haven't been cooperative yet but I'm not done. So if you think you have a tumor in your head, check for the stroke signs, check sense of smell, and I mean each side separate. Check for weaknesses on either side, but those checks still do not cover all parts of the brain, sometimes only the MRI will see. And remember brain tumors usually aren't the cause of everything, they just aren't as popular as other troubles. Good luck to all.

Brain Tumor - Types Question: Please describe the type of brain tumor you have.
Brain Tumor - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you undergo for your brain tumor?
Brain Tumor - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for a brain tumor.
Brain Tumor - In Children Question: Was your child diagnosed with a brain tumor? Please share your experience.