Patient Comments: Brain Tumor - Symptoms

The symptoms of brain tumor can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Allyson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

Six years before they discovered my brain tumor, I visited the doctors several times. I had a blood clot to my eye, and they didn't know why. I was 46 at the time. Then I experienced tightening across my shoulders and shortness of breath. I was getting palpitations and was put under the care of a heart doctor who found a mild swelling of the aorta. After that, I got headaches and dizzy spells. Then, finally, I had a stroke down the left side of my face. My tumor was benign. It was as big as a kiwi fruit and was called a left anterior fossa meningioma cavernous sinus. It was removed with an eight-hour operation five months ago. Now I feel great, apart from still being numb on the site of the operation and having thinning hair. I'm so pleased with the doctors for saving my life; it's fantastic.

Comment from: Survivor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

With my brain tumor, I had headaches for many, many years, but I thought they were because of job stress and being a single mom, etc. Eventually, they got really bad, and I could hardly see anything out of my right eye. My optometrist had a look and told me to go see a specialist immediately. I was diagnosed with a grapefruit-sized meningioma, which was removed three years ago after a 13-hour operation. I am still blind in one eye, and I experience numbness on the right side of my face. I have learned to live this way, I was told I might end up being paralyzed.

Comment from: Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I am 53 years old and have had Epilepsy since the age of 11 but the medics have been trying many different combinations of drugs to control the seizures throughout my life. It wasn't until my optician picked up on some visual field loss caused by long term use of Sabril that she recommended that I be put back in contact with a specialist again. By this time, it was possible to have an MRI scan which was previously unavailable. This picked up a tumor on my right temporal lobe area. They are keeping a regular check on it to make sure its not getting larger, but the epilepsy still occurs and I'm too frightened to have the tumor removed as its uncertain what other faculties might be interfered with.

Comment from: Kelp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

With my brain tumor, he first clear sign that something was weird was a heightened sense of smell.

Comment from: norby, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I simply woke up in the hospital, thank goodness I woke up! I had GBM (glioblastoma multiforme) grade IV in the right temporal lobe. I had surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. I was a healthy guy worked as a deep sea diver, rode a Harley, raced flat track and was fit as I could be. Now I'm just glad I know my name.

Comment from: SierraLaDonn, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My grandfather is in the hospital right now for a brain tumor. The whole back of his brain is nothing but a huge tumor. It's even eating through his skull. He just turned 72 a couple days ago. His symptoms that I know of are weight loss, no appetite, weakness, etc.

Comment from: carolyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

i had a brain tumor in 2003 and had a surgery one week after they found the tumor and it left me with weakness on the right side of my face, and in 2006 they diagnosed another tumor i had another surgery. I now have mengioma and I have 4 tumors on my brain (noncancer). I have headache every day now my body on the right side is weakening. I cant do anything but pray that they don't grow anymore.

Comment from: UNPHASED, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I had a few of what I later learned were "auras" . Anxious feelings and odd sensations that were unusual for me a typically gregarious individual. I have been in a 20 year relationship and my gf noticed my unusual behaviors so we scheduled an MRI which revealed the tumor. No headaches, no pain , virtually no other symptoms other than unusual feelings of paranoia. My tumor was/is thankfully a low level glioma which will require regular MRI scans but my situation is better than most so I feel fortunate.

Brain Tumor - Types Question: Please describe the type of brain tumor you have.
Brain Tumor - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you undergo for your brain tumor?
Brain Tumor - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for a brain tumor.
Brain Tumor - In Children Question: Was your child diagnosed with a brain tumor? Please share your experience.