Patient Comments: Brain Tumor - Symptoms

The symptoms of brain tumor can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: jenniferrsw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had headaches but they did not seem abnormal. I had an MRI years ago and was diagnosed with migraines. My first real indication with brain tumor was a massive seizure. I woke up in an ambulance and was in 3 hospitals in 4 days.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 24

My dad (73) has been diagnosed with a grade 4 brain tumor. He had his biopsy, and it is the worst form he could have. He had a small dose of radiation therapy, more for quality of life than to ease the swelling. Nothing more can be done for him, and we are still in shock as our dad had no previous symptoms. He was rarely sick. He did have stroke-like symptoms that were diagnosed when he went to the doctor, but as the symptoms got worse, his doctor referred him to the hospital. In his case, he did not suffer with any pain or headaches. So it goes to show, symptoms are not always present.

Comment from: Allyson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

Six years before they discovered my brain tumor, I visited the doctors several times. I had a blood clot to my eye, and they didn't know why. I was 46 at the time. Then I experienced tightening across my shoulders and shortness of breath. I was getting palpitations and was put under the care of a heart doctor who found a mild swelling of the aorta. After that, I got headaches and dizzy spells. Then, finally, I had a stroke down the left side of my face. My tumor was benign. It was as big as a kiwi fruit and was called a left anterior fossa meningioma cavernous sinus. It was removed with an eight-hour operation five months ago. Now I feel great, apart from still being numb on the site of the operation and having thinning hair. I'm so pleased with the doctors for saving my life; it's fantastic.

Comment from: Survivor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

With my brain tumor, I had headaches for many, many years, but I thought they were because of job stress and being a single mom, etc. Eventually, they got really bad, and I could hardly see anything out of my right eye. My optometrist had a look and told me to go see a specialist immediately. I was diagnosed with a grapefruit-sized meningioma, which was removed three years ago after a 13-hour operation. I am still blind in one eye, and I experience numbness on the right side of my face. I have learned to live this way, I was told I might end up being paralyzed.

Comment from: Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I am 53 years old and have had Epilepsy since the age of 11 but the medics have been trying many different combinations of drugs to control the seizures throughout my life. It wasn't until my optician picked up on some visual field loss caused by long term use of Sabril that she recommended that I be put back in contact with a specialist again. By this time, it was possible to have an MRI scan which was previously unavailable. This picked up a tumor on my right temporal lobe area. They are keeping a regular check on it to make sure its not getting larger, but the epilepsy still occurs and I'm too frightened to have the tumor removed as its uncertain what other faculties might be interfered with.

Comment from: skip, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I am diabetic and I have neuropathy. I reel when I walk. The doctor thinks an MRI will show a brain tumor.

Comment from: nono, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am a 33 years old lady. I"m not diagnosed yet but there"s something worrying me. I"ve been sick for the past 5 months, I"ve changed hospitals but the doctors can"t help me because they can"t see anything. All my blood tests were negative. My problem is I"ve got a headache that pulls my neck muscles and there"s some tingling sensation like something is moving in my head. I wonder if that can be a sign of brain tumor because I don"t have balance when walking and I"m weak.

Brain Tumor - Types Question: Please describe the type of brain tumor you have.
Brain Tumor - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you undergo for your brain tumor?
Brain Tumor - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for a brain tumor.
Brain Tumor - In Children Question: Was your child diagnosed with a brain tumor? Please share your experience.