Patient Comments: Brain Tumor - Symptoms

The symptoms of brain tumor can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Rking77911, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I didn't notice it unless I was around loud music, then afterwards I'd feel drunk with loss of balance. Also if I closed my eyes while standing, I'd wobble and lose balance. Then one morning I woke up very dizzy, bouncing into the walls. I thought it was an inner ear infection, was lying down with a heating pad and as I started to sit up my ear started ringing. At the time the brain tumor hadn't been diagnosed.

Comment from: JB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I started with memory problems, then my vision change dramatically. I had sensation of burning, I thought maybe hot flashes, at least 15 a day and continued adding. I had migraines, sensitivity to sound and light, needle pain to my left ear, and nausea. And today a new symptom from the brain tumor, a constant sound in my head and is not going away since 4 pm. Current time 7:05 pm. I had radiation treatment for 30 sessions around C3 and C4 (my tumor was eating this cervical vertebrae was not cancerous). I had more than 10 MRI and CT scans. I'm a 48 year old woman weighing 150 lb.

Comment from: katn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I have a brain tumor, I don't have a name for it yet. I'm waiting now for biopsy results. I'm told it's been there a while, it's located in the right parietal lobe kind of into frontal lobe too. My symptoms have been many till finding, first the bone-weary exhaustion, pain in all my body, double vision, optic migraines, and always what I thought was carpal tunnel. Then I guess it grew some. My ears sing all the time, sound like all the bugs an birds in the world... good thing I'm deaf, ha ha. Then the hammer fell while trying to get treatment for fibromyalgia and sacroiliitis. I was given Cymbalta to take, boy, I did not think I'd live through that very bad experience. But it left me without the use of my left arm, very little balance, and speech difficulties. Which led to immediate MRI and finding of brain tumor. I'm working to regain what I lost and can use my arm again, but fine motor skills just haven't been cooperative yet but I'm not done. So if you think you have a tumor in your head, check for the stroke signs, check sense of smell, and I mean each side separate. Check for weaknesses on either side, but those checks still do not cover all parts of the brain, sometimes only the MRI will see. And remember brain tumors usually aren't the cause of everything, they just aren't as popular as other troubles. Good luck to all.

Comment from: positive, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I started having vision problems that consisted of lightning strikes and black spots, loss of balance, loss of hearing on one side, facial numbness and swallowing difficulties. It took doctors nine months to agree to refer me to a specialist that found an inoperable benign tumor on my brain stem. I wasn"t given a favorable diagnosis and started using natural remedies, I have been lucky as it has been held at bay for the last seven years. Doctors are surprised and tell me to keep doing what I"m doing.

Comment from: Shivi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I"m 36 and got operated for brain stem benign tumor on January 18, 2014. That was just after a week I got to know that I was suffering from brain tumor. My symptoms were there for almost a year and they were throbbing pain, loss of balance, nausea, blindness and irritability. All these were for fractions of seconds. I could diagnose my problem by the help and advice of an eye surgeon. I profusely thank him for making me aware at the right time.

Comment from: Brandy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I'm a 33 year old brain tumor survivor. I found out when I was 23 that I have a central neurocytoma. I had terrible migraines for over two years, loss of balance, nausea, floaters, temporary blindness and dizziness.

Comment from: Ernie167, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was diagnosed with a meningioma and a brain stem tumor in August 2013. They are benign but I have symptoms daily, mild headaches, dizziness and nausea. I was just put on medications yesterday. Let's see if they will control my symptoms.

Brain Tumor - Types Question: Please describe the type of brain tumor you have.
Brain Tumor - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you undergo for your brain tumor?
Brain Tumor - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for a brain tumor.
Brain Tumor - In Children Question: Was your child diagnosed with a brain tumor? Please share your experience.