Patient Comments: Brain Tumor - Types

Please describe the type of brain tumor you have.

Comment from: ME, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I was diagnosed with Triple Negative brain cancer 4 years ago. My back has hurt for several years, but tolerable. Now, I am having headaches for almost 2 weeks now, and they are pretty bad. I also have fallen a couple of times and have at least 1 dizzy spell each day. I do not want to go to the doctor and start having a bunch of tests. My job is very stressful, I am in college, and I have a teenager. It could be stress, so I don"t want to waste time and money if a test is not needed.

Comment from: ceedie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I was diagnosed in 2010 with a macroadenoma of the pituitary gland. I woke up in the middle of the night with the worst headache of my life and started vomiting soon after. Within 2 weeks I was having surgery to remove it. I had gained a lot of weight and my eyesight was blurry even with glasses. The tumor was pressing on my optic nerve which is the reason why surgery was done so quickly. Since the surgery my eyesight returned to normal but my hair fell out and I now have thyroid problems and taking medication. I had other hormonal imbalances from the surgery but they have resolved. I still have a yearly MRI and blood tests every 6 months to make sure there is no recurrence.

Comment from: me, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

My mom was diagnosed with glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) grade IV, in her right side of the brain when she was 54 years old. She has undergone series of chemotherapy, radiation, IV therapy with Avastin and 2 craniotomies. She has left side weakness and now she is 55 years old. The last time we went to the hospital the doctor told us that nothing is working and the tumor is so aggressive that it grew again in the same spot. She gave us the option of removing it again through operation but my mom decided not to have the 3rd operation.

Comment from: Veronica, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have a tumor on my brain stem, it is inoperable. I have been told to be checked every three months to see if it is growing. I stopped checking because even if it grows, it can't be removed so why check. I have short term memory loss and I'm always trying to deny it.

Comment from: My beloved Son, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 13

My 20 year old son was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor the size of a ping-pong ball nine months ago. The tumor is on his pituitary gland, pressing against his optic nerve. The doctors decided not to operate because of its location (close to the Aorta); they tried to shrink it with medication (Cabergoline, Bromocriptine and Abilify). Nothing worked due to wicked side effects. He has been referred to a radiation therapist, but we are afraid of the side effects since he is very young. We are going to a neurosurgeon (a 3rd. time) in order to discuss surgery. He has a lot of headaches, ringing in the ear, and feels very week. School is over for him. He was going to school of engineering.

Comment from: maria conlee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have a brain tumor which doctors have detected in the middle of my brain in a mass of liquid which is not cancer. I wonder if this could be the reason for getting a lot of migraines and pressure in my head.

Comment from: L F, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I am a Brit and have lived in New Zealand since 1999. I have a left petro-clival meningioma which was diagnosed and treated with 28 days radiation treatment in 2009. I also have a mid-line meningioma on the floor of the anterior cranial fossa. Both tumors are now on the annual MRI 'wait and watch' regime. I remain symptomatic for now headaches and nausea wake me in the middle of the night, and I have shooting pains in my left ear which are helped by amitriptyline. The left side of my face and scalp is very tender and I get a prickling sensation on the left side of my upper lip.

Brain Tumor - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of brain tumor can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Brain Tumor - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you undergo for your brain tumor?
Brain Tumor - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for a brain tumor.
Brain Tumor - In Children Question: Was your child diagnosed with a brain tumor? Please share your experience.