Patient Comments: Brain Tumor - Types

Please describe the type of brain tumor you have.

Comment from: Peggy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

In 2010 I had surgery to remove two meningiomas, one behind my right eye and one behind my right ear. In Oct, of this year I was diagnosed with another meningioma lying next to my brain stem. This one is too high risk to remove at this time.

Comment from: kelsieg, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

When in high school I had a large grape-sized bump behind my left ear. It sort of popped one day and moved into a vein shaped lump running vertically down my neck. I ignored it for years. Meanwhile I noticed I had liquid seeping out from behind my ear just enough to notice and only when I was swelled up. I swell up each morning and I still deal with ear issues like painfulness, hearing loss, twitches, paralysis, vision loss beyond my years, sinus disease, and all sorts of balance and cognitive issues. Despite doctors not diagnosing me right, one doctor decided to remove the lump in my neck. It was a solitary circumscribed neuroma. I still have my ear issues and balance and cognitive issues so I am wondering what else is in there. They didn't see my tumor on any imaging so I doubt they can see much in my ear but here I go again on another trip through doctor land to find the one who will remove it because it seems this is my only option for both diagnosis and treatment. I hope I am the only one going through this but if not just remember to advocate for yourself and don't take any bull. They don't know as much as we think they do.

Comment from: Rajeev, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 14

My mother 71 years had benign brain tumor, which was operated on 10th April, 12 but after one month we found in MRI it was growing (2cm). She if now suffering with weakness, uncontrolled urine and mild headache. I need help for next step. Please suggest.

Comment from: Shane, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

When I was 20 I had a brain tumor. I woke up one morning with the worst headache of my life and threw up probably twice a day. I started losing my sight for about 5 seconds at a time after standing from a prone position. I went to the optometrist; he sent me to his superior how then suggested I go to a hospital. I found out I had a tumor that night and 2 days later was operated on.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

Hello, I had a problem with my hearing when I went to the hospital for them to check it out the DR said that I had less hearing on the left than on the right so he sent me for a MRI scan A week later I was back in the clinic, this time I was told I had a Brain Tumor. Total shock my tumor is benign thank goodness, I was given 3 options (1) to wait and see if it grows, (2/3) radio treatment and surgery, and I've chose to wait , if I have any problems then we go to the next stage.

Comment from: shiva, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

Hi, on October 1, 2010 I had a massive seizure during the night. My husband called 911. First MRI done and Dr. said appears to be a tumor. 2nd MRI confirmed glioma. Had surgery at a great hospital. Surgeon removed all of the tumor, Grade 2 astrocytoma. He said I should be tumor free-he doesn't think it will ever reoccur. I am very hopeful, still on Keppra at least for 1 year. No side effects from surgery. I am very fortunate.

Comment from: jeanie, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 12

My son had a Astrocytoma tumor in the left frontal lobe at age 33. The surgery left him partially paralyzed. His only symptom was an occasional seizure. He has been taking chemo because a couple of "spots" showed up on scans. My worry now is that he is extremely fatigued and his speech is bad. He can't think of simple words and has trouble saying other words. He has had an MRI and Spect brain scan to see if anything is going on.

Comment from: Missy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

My brain tumor is an abnormal mass in temporal area.

Brain Tumor - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of brain tumor can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Brain Tumor - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you undergo for your brain tumor?
Brain Tumor - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for a brain tumor.
Brain Tumor - In Children Question: Was your child diagnosed with a brain tumor? Please share your experience.