Patient Comments: Brain Tumor - Types

Please describe the type of brain tumor you have.

Comment from: nyryan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 18

I'm a 29 year old male. I had a pituitary gland tumor. It started out with having high blood pressure and no matter what medication the doctor gave me it would lower my blood pressure. He had me take a CT scan and my tumor was found. I took medications to shrink it, but they didn't work so I had to have surgery. They happened to miss a single cell and it grew back. I had a second surgery on my birthday (lucky me) and they finally got it all. My symptoms before the first surgery were weight gain, stretch marks, no stamina, muscle deterioration, headaches, dizziness, and nausea. After surgery it takes about two weeks for the headaches to go away and the doctor gives a large bottle of Percocet to help. The total healing takes 6 to 12months. After surgery they also gave me Prednisol. This is a very important pill. It substitutes the lack of cortisol lost during surgery. If you do not take these pills you will die within 48 hours. Eventually your body will start producing cortisol on its own again, but it will take a while. If you have a pituitary tumor hang in there. It will take time, but it will be better.

Comment from: sally, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I am 45 years old women with well-defined slightly hyper-dense extra-axial lesion at the right cerebellopontine angle. It measures 3.1cm (w) x 3.2 cm (ap) x 3.2cm (cc). Following contrast administration, this lesion shows bornogenous strong enhancement pattern. There is mass effect to the adjacent right cerebellar peduncle and the fourth ventricle. Associated midline shift of 0.4 cm to the left side at the level of pons. Diagnosis as meningioma. Differential: acoustic schwannoma.

Comment from: Patsy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

In 2002 I was diagnosed with a Neuroenteric cyst on my brain stem. The size of a quarter. It was sitting in my posterior fossa on my nerve center. They had to go into my spine c1 and c2. It was benign. I had it removed and three months later was diagnosed with Hydrosphelous and had a shunt placed in my ventricles and it drains into my stomach. After the two brain operations I continued to have symptoms and found out that cf fluid had filled the void of the tumor and was mimicing the brain tumor. I was told it will not return.

Comment from: Michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I'm a. 42 year old female. I had to go into brain surgery immediately after being diagnosed. The surgeon was the top neurosurgeon in the area. He went in there and debulked it. My type of brain cancer was glioblastoma. It's the type that Ted Kennedy had. I had chemo and radiation. Now, my oncologist looks at my MRI and does not see anything there. There's an open space. I am very happy with the results.

Comment from: christie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

About 15 years ago, I went to the emergency room for a really bad headache. A CT scan was performed, and the doctor told me I had a sinus infection. Later they found I had a fatty tumor on my brain, but it was microscopic.

Comment from: gg, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I have a low grade brain tumor in the white area of brain.

Comment from: frankie jr., 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 16

Well my son was 7 years old when they found his brain tumor in 07. He really didn't have that many symptoms except vomiting every once in a while. Everyone kept saying it was a stomach virus. He would not stop vomiting and we took him to the hospital where they did a CT scan and found a brain tumor the size of a baseball and it was rapidly growing. The doctor said if we would not have brought him in, he would have died within a week. We were devastated. He went through 15 hours of surgery and he went through radiation and chemo for about a year. It was finally all gone, but then about 2 months, later he had a bad seizure. The doctors did another CT scan and found that cancer had spread all over his brain. They gave him 3 months to live. We love and miss our Frankie very much. He was a brave little boy and he tried so hard to beat this cancer. He would have been 12 years old today.

Brain Tumor - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of brain tumor can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Brain Tumor - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you undergo for your brain tumor?
Brain Tumor - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for a brain tumor.
Brain Tumor - In Children Question: Was your child diagnosed with a brain tumor? Please share your experience.