Patient Comments: Brain Tumor - Types

Please describe the type of brain tumor you have.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

The type of tumor I have is called astrocytoma. It was about 2 inches in diameter and is at the front left lobe of my brain. The doctors removed a large part of it and say they will have to go back in and remove the rest.

Comment from: dragonfly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I am about to turn 45 in six weeks. 15 years ago I was diagnosed with a 5mm lesion (cyst) in the External Capsule of the L Basal Ganglia. It was the size of a BB or pea. It is now over 1 cm (about the size of a spaghetti-o meatball) or a bit bigger than a marble. It was slow growing for years, and now it has grown from 7mm to this size in 8 months.

Comment from: heather, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

Hi, I'm a 38 year old female and had a meningioma surgically removed in 2002. Since surgery I find I get very tired and have a problem with short term memory. The tumor was benign.

Comment from: nyryan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 18

I'm a 29 year old male. I had a pituitary gland tumor. It started out with having high blood pressure and no matter what medication the doctor gave me it would lower my blood pressure. He had me take a CT scan and my tumor was found. I took medications to shrink it, but they didn't work so I had to have surgery. They happened to miss a single cell and it grew back. I had a second surgery on my birthday (lucky me) and they finally got it all. My symptoms before the first surgery were weight gain, stretch marks, no stamina, muscle deterioration, headaches, dizziness, and nausea. After surgery it takes about two weeks for the headaches to go away and the doctor gives a large bottle of Percocet to help. The total healing takes 6 to 12months. After surgery they also gave me Prednisol. This is a very important pill. It substitutes the lack of cortisol lost during surgery. If you do not take these pills you will die within 48 hours. Eventually your body will start producing cortisol on its own again, but it will take a while. If you have a pituitary tumor hang in there. It will take time, but it will be better.

Comment from: sally, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I am 45 years old women with well-defined slightly hyper-dense extra-axial lesion at the right cerebellopontine angle. It measures 3.1cm (w) x 3.2 cm (ap) x 3.2cm (cc). Following contrast administration, this lesion shows bornogenous strong enhancement pattern. There is mass effect to the adjacent right cerebellar peduncle and the fourth ventricle. Associated midline shift of 0.4 cm to the left side at the level of pons. Diagnosis as meningioma. Differential: acoustic schwannoma.

Comment from: eva_turner21, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I am a 21 year old girl and I have a brain tumor on my right side of the brain. Sometimes I get really bad headaches and I can't remember things to well. I went to the mri and they told me I had one on the right side. That's why I had bad headaches and they said i have short term memory loss and because of that I can't work.

Comment from: Patsy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

In 2002 I was diagnosed with a Neuroenteric cyst on my brain stem. The size of a quarter. It was sitting in my posterior fossa on my nerve center. They had to go into my spine c1 and c2. It was benign. I had it removed and three months later was diagnosed with Hydrosphelous and had a shunt placed in my ventricles and it drains into my stomach. After the two brain operations I continued to have symptoms and found out that cf fluid had filled the void of the tumor and was mimicing the brain tumor. I was told it will not return.

Comment from: Michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I'm a. 42 year old female. I had to go into brain surgery immediately after being diagnosed. The surgeon was the top neurosurgeon in the area. He went in there and debulked it. My type of brain cancer was glioblastoma. It's the type that Ted Kennedy had. I had chemo and radiation. Now, my oncologist looks at my MRI and does not see anything there. There's an open space. I am very happy with the results.

Brain Tumor - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of brain tumor can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Brain Tumor - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you undergo for your brain tumor?
Brain Tumor - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for a brain tumor.
Brain Tumor - In Children Question: Was your child diagnosed with a brain tumor? Please share your experience.