Patient Comments: Brain Tumor - Types

Please describe the type of brain tumor you have.

Comment from: Lola, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 02

My mom was diagnosed with a tumor in her brain more than a year ago now. She had it removed right away with surgery. It was quite large; we were all very scared. After her surgery, she was sent home the next day and recovered great. Five months later, she went for a MRI, and it was back, and three more tumors came with it. We were all devastated. She was strong, and she did cyber knife radiation for six weeks. The tumors stopped growing for a bit. Then we went back a year after her surgery and found out that there were now 13 tumors in total in her brain. She was so sick: vomiting and headaches. We were all just so beaten by this. Sadly, she lost her life at the age of 53. She was strong, and she is now healthy and happy. We miss her every day.

Comment from: Haley, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My friend is only 21 year old she has a softball size tumor in her brain.

Comment from: ScarlettsWeb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a malignant ependymoma, Grade 2, removed from the fourth ventricle and brain stem during two surgeries in June of 2012, followed by 30 radiation treatments to ensure all cancer cells were gone. Chemo is not an option in my case. Since the second surgery, I have suffered from double vision (prisms on eyeglasses not working so far), tremors (ataxia) in my left arm and leg, general weakness, and severe nausea, dizziness, and dry heaves/vomiting. Ependymoma in adults is somewhat rare. I just want to get back a little closer to my old normal. I love and have the utmost confidence in my neurosurgeon, and the rest of my medical team is great as well. My family is indispensable. I'm also blessed with friends and neighbors. Good luck to all of us suffering through this type of challenge.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

The type of tumor I have is called astrocytoma. It was about 2 inches in diameter and is at the front left lobe of my brain. The doctors removed a large part of it and say they will have to go back in and remove the rest.

Comment from: dragonfly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I am about to turn 45 in six weeks. 15 years ago I was diagnosed with a 5mm lesion (cyst) in the External Capsule of the L Basal Ganglia. It was the size of a BB or pea. It is now over 1 cm (about the size of a spaghetti-o meatball) or a bit bigger than a marble. It was slow growing for years, and now it has grown from 7mm to this size in 8 months.

Comment from: heather, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

Hi, I'm a 38 year old female and had a meningioma surgically removed in 2002. Since surgery I find I get very tired and have a problem with short term memory. The tumor was benign.

Comment from: nyryan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 18

I'm a 29 year old male. I had a pituitary gland tumor. It started out with having high blood pressure and no matter what medication the doctor gave me it would lower my blood pressure. He had me take a CT scan and my tumor was found. I took medications to shrink it, but they didn't work so I had to have surgery. They happened to miss a single cell and it grew back. I had a second surgery on my birthday (lucky me) and they finally got it all. My symptoms before the first surgery were weight gain, stretch marks, no stamina, muscle deterioration, headaches, dizziness, and nausea. After surgery it takes about two weeks for the headaches to go away and the doctor gives a large bottle of Percocet to help. The total healing takes 6 to 12months. After surgery they also gave me Prednisol. This is a very important pill. It substitutes the lack of cortisol lost during surgery. If you do not take these pills you will die within 48 hours. Eventually your body will start producing cortisol on its own again, but it will take a while. If you have a pituitary tumor hang in there. It will take time, but it will be better.

Brain Tumor - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of brain tumor can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Brain Tumor - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you undergo for your brain tumor?
Brain Tumor - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for a brain tumor.
Brain Tumor - In Children Question: Was your child diagnosed with a brain tumor? Please share your experience.