Patient Comments: Brain Tumor - Surgery

Please describe your experience with surgery for a brain tumor.

Comment from: bestes52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I had brain surgery in 2011, the tumors were meningioma. One was removed by surgery and the other was done by radio surgery. I still have a horrible and very painful place on my head from the one removed by cutting out, it forms these lumps that feel like boils, and it occurs quite often. About 7 months ago, I lost most of my sense of taste and smell. Coffee tastes like dirty water and almost everything I smell smells the same. I hope it returns. Other than all that I'm glad to be rid of the tumors because of seizures and headaches. I do still have memory loss and some headaches.

Comment from: Paula, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am going to have my eighth brain surgery this month. This will be my fifth surgery for brain tumors. One of the other surgeries was for a brain bleed caused when a bard filter was placed in my vena cava and it pierced the vena cava and caused extensive bleeding, I had 30 units of blood for this. The other two surgeries were the placement of a shunt after it was discovered I had fluid on the brain. From bard filter placement to shunt placement it was only three months and I am still suffering from these surgeries. I had an MRI in April of last year and I just had one in January and was told the brain tumor was growing again. I had gama knife surgery for this tumor 19 years ago.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have had 5 brain surgeries, and two rounds of radiation; I have seizures. I now have a shunt and bad short term memory issues. I have never been able to drive a car.

Comment from: dgillespie, Male (Patient) Published: June 02

Immediate onset of bad headaches, that lasted five weeks, unusual vomiting and nausea, and some cognitive issues were my symptoms of brain tumor. One day it became unbearable while at work, and I went to the emergency room; a 3 cm hemangioblastoma was discovered and removed the next morning.

Brain Tumor - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of brain tumor can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Brain Tumor - Types Question: Please describe the type of brain tumor you have.
Brain Tumor - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you undergo for your brain tumor?
Brain Tumor - In Children Question: Was your child diagnosed with a brain tumor? Please share your experience.