Patient Comments: Brain Damage - Causes

Please describe the cause of brain damage for you, a friend, or family member.

Comment from: shab, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I am diabetic since 10 years and I use pills for sugar. Recently I couldn't digest food and hence my sugar levels rose. I went to a gastroenterologist for checkup and the doctor told me that my heartbeat is irregular and asked me if there is a vibration in the nerves of my legs. I said yes; later I started developing vibrations in my brain and also my jaw is paining a little.

Comment from: canadagirl, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 13

My mother is 92 and has had dementia for the last six years. This last eight weeks she has been losing her ability to talk (form words). I think it is because she barely speaks to anyone; therefore, she doesn't practice. She is in a retirement home and I visit every day, trying to get her lightly to speak and laugh and sing songs. When I phone her, the first two minutes are very frustrating for her. I don't know what this can be.

Brain Damage - Symptoms Question: Do you know how to spot the symptoms of brain damage?
Brain Damage - Treatment Question: Please discuss the treatment or therapy for a brain injury.
Brain Damage - Prevention Question: If you have been affected by brain injury, what are ways of reducing risk?