Patient Comments: Brain Damage - Causes

Please describe the cause of brain damage for you, a friend, or family member.

Comment from: blessedmomof4, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 20

Baby was large. I tried natural delivery even though head was high. Then there was fetal distress, baby got stuck, had fever, and then it was C section. But she did not cry when delivered at10 lb., was critical, dusky, had ventilator hood, low resting heart rate, and hypotonia. Placenta revealed acute chorioamnionitis and funisitis. There was thrombosis of fetal vessels. Later in life she had auditory and sensory processing disorder, ADHD, OCD, ODD, acute behavior, absent seizures, high functioning autism, learning disability, etc. Brain MRI was abnormal. Diagnosis of central nervous system is, neurologically low, and delayed for age. Doctors did not tell us what to expect, I thought all was normal, we had no early intervention.

Comment from: shab, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I am diabetic since 10 years and I use pills for sugar. Recently I couldn't digest food and hence my sugar levels rose. I went to a gastroenterologist for checkup and the doctor told me that my heartbeat is irregular and asked me if there is a vibration in the nerves of my legs. I said yes; later I started developing vibrations in my brain and also my jaw is paining a little.

Comment from: canadagirl, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 13

My mother is 92 and has had dementia for the last six years. This last eight weeks she has been losing her ability to talk (form words). I think it is because she barely speaks to anyone; therefore, she doesn't practice. She is in a retirement home and I visit every day, trying to get her lightly to speak and laugh and sing songs. When I phone her, the first two minutes are very frustrating for her. I don't know what this can be.

Brain Damage - Symptoms Question: Do you know how to spot the symptoms of brain damage?
Brain Damage - Treatment Question: Please discuss the treatment or therapy for a brain injury.
Brain Damage - Prevention Question: If you have been affected by brain injury, what are ways of reducing risk?